Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Signed Patrick Ewing rookie: Star Co. or Fleer?

Thanks to Navarro's thread about the signed Dream Team sheet, I found out about the Patrick Ewing signing through Steiner Sports. I'm debating whether to send my Star Co. rookie or a Fleer rookie. Any opinions, one way or the other?

Comments

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of the star cards. I would consider the 85 star his true rookie.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    What price did you get? I got a different one than Mike did. Brandon from Steiner Sports called me back earlier tonight and told me it was $125.00 per card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Doug, that was the same price I was quoted.
  • Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    I was quoted 125 as well. I plan to have an 86 fleer signed.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Signed Star would be much rarer and of course his truest rookie so I'd go that way myself even though I only own his fleer card in my collection.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    With how tough it is to get his signature, why not do both?
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>With how tough it is to get his signature, why not do both? >>

Rob ... I thought about getting a few of each to resell down the road. HOWEVER, if Ewing decides that he can make some good money doing signings, his resale prices could tumble. Not so sure what I'm going to do.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I personally think that the Fleer Sticker and the Star rookie would be the best if one's idea is price appreciation in the future. There's gonna be 500 Fleer rookies signed at this thing and not nearly as many Star and Fleer Stickers. Once PSA eventually recognizes the Star as slabbable, and I believe that it is eventually inevitable especially considering they now do paper cutouts, those cards are gonna take off. People will also need the signed stickers to go along with their signed Fleer sets but I don't think most are gonna have the foresight to do anything other than send 5 regular Fleers.

Very happy now that I sold my signed 86 Fleer Ewing when I did, definitely got out at the right time.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huge fan of the Star Co. cards here also. It's one the I would go with image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I would go Star, but a real one lol.
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    If I had to choose one card to get signed I would go with the 86 Fleer base card. Ewing is a horrible signer in person, possibly the most difficult to get out of any mainstream athlete. Even if he signs 500 rc's the supply will be absorbed. I'm sure there are at least 500 signed Jordan rc's out there and that card continues to increase in value. Yes, the days of the Fleer Ewing card selling for $1000 are long gone, but he is a terrible signer in person and he will more than likely never do a public signing. The 86 set will always be an iconic set and even if PSA starts to grade Star cards the fleer set will still be the set of choice by most collectors do to the Jordan rc IMHO.
  • Options
    Here's an update to the thread. Received the signed card in today's mail.

[URL=http://s197.photobucket.com/user/dgtom/media/ewing001_zps55493e6d.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Nice!! Ewing didn't sign all the items at the signing, so I'm hoping he did my two dream team pieces. I'll find out on Christmas Eve.

Your card turned out nice, congrats!

Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, and thanks for putting the word out that he was signing.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Mike, and thanks for putting the word out that he was signing. >>

Sure thing, and just an FYI for everyone that is interested, he's also doing another signing in late January with Steiner as well.

MIke
  • Options
    That looks great. Legit Ewing autos are tough. Did Steiner give you a COA and put their hologram on the back of it? or was that extra for them to do that.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Awesome.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Steiner did put a hologram sticker on the back and included a plastic authentication card with the order.