Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Great Britain 50 pence question

My local coin shop has a junk box restocked by people selling their foreign coins in bulk to the shop owner. Coins are just 10 cents each. Whenever I visit I make it a point to look for modern British decimal coinage. I have a nice pile of pound and 20 pence coins picked up for 10 cents. They'll come in handy when visting the UK again.

My question relates to the 50 pence coins. I have noted two sizes. The later ones are smaller. Earlier ones are larger and 7 sided. The one example I have is dated 1983.

I am assuming the size change heralded some change in the 50 pence denomination. Were certain British 50 pence coins demonitized and if yes which ones are now valueless?

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly, 1997 was the changeover year. They exist in both sizes for 1997--at least they do in some collector sets of that year.

I don't believe the older, larger 50p has been demonitized.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the people who do foriegn exchange I deal with will not buy the large size 50P.
  • Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I recall correctly, 1997 was the changeover year. They exist in both sizes for 1997--at least they do in some collector sets of that year.

I don't believe the older, larger 50p has been demonitized. >>

I'm afraid you're wrong - only the smaller 50p's are legal tender.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the changeover year was in the late 60's or early 70's. And, the older, pre-decimal coinage were demonitized.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Changeover to decimal did happen way back in 1969 when the 50 Pence was first issued. But, they reduced the size slightly in 1997, and withdrew the larger ones from circulation in 1998.

There are a TON of design variations, mostly in the smaller size, including 29 from the London Olympics alone (all dated 2011, naturally).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE