Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps Comic Art - just another way they tried to further entertain kids

Hi everyone

Hope you all had a great thanksgiving. Mine was nice.

I'm gonna make this an ongoing thread as I add pieces from time to time - sorta like my "perspective" on the hobby thread. It's kind of in response to the query on whether this is just an "unopened" forum.

When I was a kid, I liked the comics on the back of cards - especially those that asked a question.

In the modern era of Topps (starting with the 52T set) - as you know, there's no comics in the inaugural set - it started in '53 - years following went anywhere from "quiz" comics to "informative" comics. I'm going to do some research and see if there's any consistency to what types of comics were included over the years.

Around 1992, I started buying comic art off of SCD.

I'm sure others have some - they're pen & ink and most are about 3x5" or so.

I just wish I had focused more on them when it first broke in the early 90s. Some SCD sellers picked up a boatload of it after the Guernsey auction in 1989.

My take? The items sold at the '89 Guernsey have this stamp on them:

I picked up around 25 of them from Mike Gidwitz - as I have said - this is how our relationship started. Not sure how many I now have? Probably approaching about 125?

The first one up - I actually bought from Jay of Cavalcade of Sports.

This one is classic. Tom Haller's brother is Bill Haller - ML umpire.

Here's a classic confrontation of Earl Weaver and Bill Haller - no extra charge for the language:

Weaver vs Haller.

1969 Topps #310 Tom Haller

Tom had a 12 year career with the Giants and Dodgers - 3 time AS - lifetime BA of .257 and 134 HRs.

Next up - picked this one up recently on ebay.

Milt Pappas - 73T #70

I'm sure a Cub fan, e.g., will know about Milt. I never looked that closely at his career.

He went 209-164 (.560) which is a very respectable 17 year career.

Of note - he went 17-7 in 1972 and pitched a no-hitter Sep 2nd of that year against the Padres.

He started his career with Baltimore in 1957 and retired in 1973.

Here's the artwork for the card:

And next from Mike.

1977 Topps #55 Jeff Burroughs

<< <i>Quote:
Chuck Hiller was the first N.L. Player to hit grand slammer in world series >>

It's Monday - Oct. 8th - 1962 - Hiller was with the SF Giants - who were playing the Yankees - he hit it off Marshall Bridges in game 4 - top of the 7th. The Giants beat the Yanks 7 to 3.

Baseball's first NL Grand Slam.

And to add something a bit different - this is an "overlay" proof.

1978 Topps Marvel Comics Sugar-Free Bubble Gum.

I picked up this sealed pack of gum to companion the artwork.

For whatever reason - they "overlay" the artwork - so there's a cardboard back - painted with some kind of water color - and then there's a mylar printed overlay that goes over the painted surface. Perhaps for clarity?

First the mylar overlay:

I put a piece of white stock on top of it - otherwise with my black background - you would see nothing.

Then there's the "painted" background: it's on thick cardboard stock.

And then the overlay and painted background together - I had to use a little piece of adhesive from a 'post it' to keep them together:

And here's a copy of an actual wrapper that I took from a blog:

You can see how close the original artwork is to the actual wrapper.

There's a total of 34 to the set which includes characters like the Hulk, Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, Thor, Iron Man...

On occasion full boxes of the gum - still sealed - come up for auction. Some sellers of the wrappers seem to think they're rare? Have no idea.

Well, that's it for now.

If you guys have any interest in these, I'll continue to add from time to time. If I get no response? I'll just let it go.

As I've said - we have all kinds of collectors here. I enjoy everyone from unopened to wrestling to Nascar.... We have such a variety.
Mike

Comments

• Mike, I enjoyed your post. Keep 'em coming!
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    This is great, Mike! I love 'em!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I always liked those original cartoon art works. LOVE the Haller. Classic!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

Just adding another to the thread.

1969 Topps Jim Perry #246

Jim had an OK pitching career of 215 - 174 (.553); he appeared in 3 AS games and won the Cy Young in 1970 (24-12).

His brother Gaylord had a 22 yr career - 314- 265 (.542); appeared in 5 AS games and won the Cy Young 2 times ('72 - '78) - was the first to win the award in BOTH leagues - and was inducted into the HOF in 1991.

Jim appeared twice in the '65 WS - no decisions.
    Mike
  • robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
  • Thanks so much for starting this thread. I personally really like the Topps art and enjoy viewing your posts. I collect Brooks Robinson items; do you have any of Brooksie or one's related to him? Would love to see if any is out there...
    Collect Brooks Robinson and unique O's items

<< <i>Thanks so much for starting this thread. I personally really like the Topps art and enjoy viewing your posts. I collect Brooks Robinson items; do you have any of Brooksie or one's related to him? Would love to see if any is out there... >>

Sorry, I don't think so. Any cards that he had comics would cost way more than I would want to spend. Unfortunately.
    Mike
    Here's my next one:

1969 Topps Don Buford #232

Don spent 10 yrs in the majors - half with Chicago and half with Baltimore.

He had a lifetime BA .264 and 93 HRs. He appeared in 1 AS game (1971)

According to an article I read, he was the "first" black to play baseball at USC. He played running and defensive back for the Trojans.

in 1991, he was inducted in the Baltimore Orioles HOF.

After BB, he managed the Daytona Cubs of the Fla. League and served on Robinson's coaching staff with the Orioles, Giants and Nationals.

Mike
    I know I'm taking up a lot of bandwidth but I haven't posted much and just wanted to catch up.

I also realize what I collect has low appeal - but how about humoring an old man? image

1973 Topps Ron Fairly Comic Art

The Dodgers faced the Twins in the World Series - Dodgers 4 - Twins 3.

Koufax won the MVP at 2 wins, 1 loss. Fairly killed it with a .379 average.

Of interest is the back of the art - I've never seen this stamp before - probably used on smaller items from the Guernsey Auction.

Mike
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    This is an incredibly fascinating topic. It was a great idea to create the thread, Mike. Nice job.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Very cool topic. Thanks for sharing.
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, keep this stuff coming. Very interesting. Is it hard to track down which card featured the comic?
  • I love unique stuff like this! I'd never seen this thread before, as I joined the boards a few weeks after the last update. Keep 'em coming Mike, awesome stuff!
    Thanx for the kind words guys - I think I could "kill" you with these - I have about 150.

But, none the less, here's a few more.

In 1958, the Braves beat the Pirates at Forbes Field - 8 to 3. Of interest? In the 1st inning, Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews and Wes Covington homered off of Ron Kline.

1969 Topps Glenn Beckert

This group are all 1977 Topps:

And here's one of hobby interest - that they found at - at this time - that Gary Carter collected BB cards!

The first year the AL New York team was called the Yankees - in 1913 - they held spring training at Hamilton, Bermuda.

I believe Don Drysdale also hit 7 in a season twice and the American League leader hit 9 - Wes Ferrell in 1931.

Mike
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the extent of Gary Carter's collection is if it still together? Cool to know he was a collector.
  • What's the story with the '77 Sadecki? The raw art you show has a caption about Yaz that doesn't seem to fit the cartoon. But on the back of the Sadecki card is the same cartoon with a different caption, about a pitcher. Any idea what gives?

And on a related note, are you aware of any cards that DO feature a Yaz cartoon?

<< <i>What's the story with the '77 Sadecki? The raw art you show has a caption about Yaz that doesn't seem to fit the cartoon. But on the back of the Sadecki card is the same cartoon with a different caption, about a pitcher. Any idea what gives?

And on a related note, are you aware of any cards that DO feature a Yaz cartoon? >>

Hiya Dan

Notice how there's "yellowish-brown" around the quote? It was covered over with a new quote. Unfortunately I don't have the correction that goes with it. So, that's a true "pre"production error.
    Mike

<< <i>I wonder what the extent of Gary Carter's collection is if it still together? Cool to know he was a collector. >>

Unfortunately I'm not sure. I'll bet there's been some articles written on him with a section on his collecting. It's my understanding that he still collects today?
    Mike
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder what the extent of Gary Carter's collection is if it still together? Cool to know he was a collector. >>

Unfortunately I'm not sure. I'll bet there's been some articles written on him with a section on his collecting. It's my understanding that he still collects today? >>

Stone, Mr. Carter has unfortunately passed away.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    First off, thanks for bumping this thread as this is an enjoyable one.

Secondly, here is my story of Gary Carter.....

My wife, 3 year old son, and I were heading home from a trip to Hong Kong and had a connector flight from Newark to West Palm Beach. On the plane, I could hear a couple of guys talking behind me. One person was doing most of the talking with the other agreeing and not saying much else. The talkative person kept saying things like, "remember when you were in Montreal, what a team you guys had.....<blah-blah-blah>", "you were awesome for the Mets in 1986 <blah-blah-blah>" - the guy was going on and on. Shortly after take off I looked back saying to myself, "who is sitting behind me, Gary Carter?" - my thought was confirmed. Needless to say, the guy sitting to the left of him was chatting his ear off the entire flight and I could tell Mr. Carter was biting his tongue hoping the plane would go faster.

Once we landed and we were getting off the plane, I looked at him and said, "I bet you are happy to be home!".

The fun part occurred when we were at baggage claim. My son, who had not gone to the bathroom in about 4 hours,was having a difficult time holding it but I wanted to get a picture for posterity. I asked Mr. Carter if I could take a picture. He responded, "sure, but do me a favor and take your son to the bathroom first as we don't need an accident on account of the picture." While my wife took our son to the bathroom, he stood with me holding onto the bags he had already retrieved. He asked me where we lived, what we did for a living, how long we had been in Florida = small talk that actually tells a person who you are.. Simply put, he could have bolted right then and there as he had no other business to tend to at the airport.

My wife came back with our son, Mr. Carter got down on 1 knee, put his arm around my son, and smiled as only the Kid could.

As a result, we have that picture today and while my son does not remember the moment, its good times for us. Thanks Mr. Carter!

What a genuine person he was, and I only got to speak to him for 5-10 minutes.

Thanks for the Gary Carter mention as its a great memory for this father.
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Excellent excellent post. Very interesting.

First, don't worry I'm not going to bid against you or compete in this market. So, tell us more. About how much do the 3x5's go for? How prevalent are they? Did topps auction most or all at the same time or do they still release them? How often do they come up on ebay or for sale, in auctions?

Thanks and please keep posting. Very enjoyable.

I distinctly remember the Carter cartoon as a kid because he was a favorite of mine and thought it was very cool he collected.
  • Mike, PM sent.
  • Mike,

Nice Topps artwork. I, too, collect artwork from the 1960's and 1970's. Would you ever want to trade some pieces with me?

Roy

<< <i>Mike,

Nice Topps artwork. I, too, collect artwork from the 1960's and 1970's. Would you ever want to trade some pieces with me?

Roy >>

Hiya Roy

Thanx for the compliment and offer. Not interested in trading at this time - I've got this stuff packed way away due to renovation in our house. It'll be at least a year before I would consider anything like that.

Please post some of your stuff! I feel bad that a bunch of my pics are gone - I will go back and find the scans and repost/host them.

Also, welcome - it looks like your first post?

Please - perhaps - start a thread introducing yourself. The usual suspects - who, what, where, when? Thanx again.
    Mike
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Mike---you can always store them over at my place and hope i do not lose them image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

<< <i>Mike---you can always store them over at my place and hope i do not lose them image >>

You're a funny guy Al.

See you in Chicago.
    Mike
  • CunoCuno Posts: 9
    Thanks for responding, Mike. I tried to upload some photos of my 1960's Topps artwork on this site, but the files are too big (over 50kb). Not sure how to post them.
    I collect Topps cards from the 1960's and 1970's, and original Topps artwork and other production material. I've got some 1960's art pieces to trade if you're ever interested.
    I'm trying to pick up some 1969 pieces (the year I started collecting). I live in a suburb of Chicago. I'm attending the National Convention at the end of next month. Are you going?

Roy
    Hiya Roy

Just email me your scans and I'll post them: mesablanca1110@yahoo.com

Do you use photobucket or some other free hosting site?
    Mike
    Hi everyone

I'm posting these for Roy.

I noticed quite a few of my scans are now gone - I'll have to check that when I get a chance.

Here ya go:

BTW, Roy - these are super pieces!

Mike
  • Wow, I concur, Roy, those are some great pieces!
  • Hi Mike. Sorry, it's been a couple years since I posted any correspondence. Just finished attending the National in Chicago for a couple days. Great show with lots of terrific memorabilia. Did you attend?

Was wondering if you would consider trading some 1969 Topps art pieces for some of my art pieces. Not sure if you'd be interested, but I have some nice items that you might be interested in.

Roy

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 11:31AM

Hi Mike,

Some nice pieces of Topps art that you have there. :+1::+1:

Here is the artwork for the 1973 Topps Comic Test Issue of Nolan Ryan.

The artwork is on a 7-1/2" X 10-1/2" white cardboard stock.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Hiya Donato

I notice that all of my photo buckets are gone - the ones I posted for someone else were done with image event.

That's a cool piece and very popular when the original art is of a big HOF'er.

Not sure what happened to the other scan - did see it and then it was gone.

If that's a new pickup - congratulations buddy.

While I'm at it - I have to apologize about the Ryan - the player I actually saw has the first name Nolan and since I picked up some HOF cards, I erroneously thought I had Ryan.

I have 2 blasters to open - if I pull it? It's yours.

Mike
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks, but the 1973 Topps Comic Nolan Ryan artwork is not a new pick as I've had it over 15 years.

No problem, if you pull a Ryan I'd be honored to have it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Mike,

Did you happen to see my post to you on 8/6/17? If so, would you consider an artwork trade?

Roy

edited August 28, 2017 8:30PM

@Cuno said:
    Mike,

Did you happen to see my post to you on 8/6/17? If so, would you consider an artwork trade?

Roy

Hiya Roy

I have to apologize - I missed your post - I thought Donato's was the first after the other was done.

First - not even sure what I have right now - the pics are gone compliments of photo bucket.

I have no idea where this stuff is in the house due to renovation. To be honest, I don't even remember having any 69T pieces?

Was there something you saw? I don't see any pics.

And yes, was at the National this year - had a great time.

Just went back and read what's there - guess I have a few 69s. I'll have to get back to ya when I get to that stuff - it'll probably be "some" time to be honest.

Mike
  • No problem, Mike. I like to pick up new pieces here and there and would prefer to do it in a trade rather than buying most of the time. I like 1969 since it was the first year I started collecting. Sentimental. I have other 1969 pieces, like negatives and proofs, so it's nice to grow that year when the opportunity comes up. I'd make sure to offer you something worth your items and your time in trade.

Seems like you like similar Topps items. Hopefully we can work out a fair trade when the time is right. Do you like flexichromes? I've obtained a few over the years. They're beautiful pieces of art done by Topps artists.

Good luck with your renovation!

Roy

edited August 29, 2017 5:49PM

Hiya Roy

It looks like I have a couple of 69s? If that's what you want? We can make a switch - I'm not attached to them for any special reason. will get back to ya.

If you don't hear anything from me by Thanksgiving? Please PM me a reminder - I'm old and forgetful.

Thanx on the flexi's - but wasn't a fan. I really like the pen & inks!

Mike
  • Mike, I understand on the flexichromes. The ink cartoon drawings are my favorite, too. I'd be happy to offer up some artwork for trade for your 1969's whenever you're ready.

Let's keep in touch.

Roy

• Hi Mike. I've been meaning to get back to you about trading some artwork but got too busy with the holidays. Anyway, finally have a moment to jot you a line. Would still like to trade some of my Topps artwork for your 1969 pieces (Don Buford, Tom Haller, Glenn Beckert and Jim Perry). I have several pieces you might enjoy. If you're still willing to trade, you can reach me at dgcarlson5@gmail.com. Thanks! Roy

• Hello Mike! Went to the card show in Rosemont, IL this past weekend. Thought of you again, and wondered if you wanted to put together an artwork trade. Appreciate if you could let me know if you're up for a swap.

Thanks.

Roy
    dgcarlson5@gmail.com

Hiya Roy

Can't anymore - gave the artwork to my son for his collection.

Thanx for asking tho.

Mike
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread.

I wonder if this artwork is valued higher for key players the same as with cards? IE: Would the Mickey Mantle artwork be worth a small fortune? I guess it probably would.

@stevek said:
    Cool thread.

I wonder if this artwork is valued higher for key players the same as with cards? IE: Would the Mickey Mantle artwork be worth a small fortune? I guess it probably would.

Hiya Steve

Sorry all of the photo buckets are gone - I might have to do something about that down the road.

Perhaps a new thread?

Simple answer?

Absolutely. When the artwork "represents" a marquee player? The price goes up as much as 10 fold from my experience.

Mike
  • Thanks for getting back to me, Mike. Continued good luck on your collecting.

Roy