Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Set builder questions

Hey guys, I wanted to get some of your input on building a more high end set. When building a higher end raw set you are faced with smaller and smaller differences as your set gets better.
Are there any hard fast rules you live by when selecting which card to keep, regarding corners, color, surface and centering ? Take these two cards for example. They seem mostly the same to me (I know some of you have keener eyes than me), with 2 exceptions. The color in the one to the left seems better, and the centering on the one on the right is slightly better. Which card do you choose when faced with this decision, and in general, or does it just come down to personal opinion when you get to such minor differences ? Thanks in advance for any of your input, I appreciate it.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
Collecting:
post world war II HOF rookie
76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    For me - it all starts with centering, then corners, and after that I'll nitpick surface/registration/etc.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    For me the one on the right, it all boils done to eye appeal and out of those 2 the one on the right has nicer eye appeal.
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I like the one on the left better. They're both OC t/b so it's just going to be a placeholder until you get a better example. As you stated, the one on the left has better color. Plus I like the wider borders on the one on the left. How does the one on the right measure up? Min Size? Finally, it may be the scan, or the one on the right is bowed, but that top edge looks funny. Either tilted or miscut.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I think the one on the left looks like a better condition card.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I am a centering nut so i would go with the one on the right.

But when all said and done it's best if you go with the cards your happy with.