Home Sports Talk
Options

Ironic that we are concerned about the wellbeing of 300 lb. NFL players...

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
...in an era when 120 lb. women are being recruited to enter active military combat!

Comments

• Options
    Don't confuse the media version of women in combat MOS's with women in combat. It's an odd situation and the bottom line is nobody likes change when things have been the way they are for decades. There were 4 women that completed the specialty training for a combat MOS in the Marine Corps. Now it's only a test phase and they won't actually attain a combat MOS, yet. I would imagine that these women are now the trailblazers that women need to get into those MOS's. Obviously I am not against women in a combat MOS. There are some issues that men/women will need to iron out when in the field but it will happen. I've seen women in combat situations, many have died for our country in Iraq and Afghanistan just as men have.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure anybody is concerned about the well-being of NFL players. Goddell pretends he is to minimize legal damages moving forward. The fans only care in the sense that they hope that none of the 15 guys on their fantasy squads end up on the IR. The coaches just tap the "next man up". The only people who care about players well-being are the players themselves, and half of them don't even care.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure anybody is concerned about the well-being of NFL players. Goddell pretends he is to minimize legal damages moving forward. The fans only care in the sense that they hope that none of the 15 guys on their fantasy squads end up on the IR. The coaches just tap the "next man up". The only people who care about players well-being are the players themselves, and half of them don't even care. >>

Exactly. The only thing the NFL cares about is revenue. Period.

The fantasy football example is dead on as well.

The NFL is an acronym for "Not For Long." I don't begrudge players making as much as they can while they can because any real concern for players' well-being after retirement is lip service at best.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>...in an era when 120 lb. women are being recruited to enter active military combat! >>

What's the point of this post? Are you suggesting a woman who passes the same training tests, with the same testing requirements as men are unqualified to enter active military combat?

Color me shocked (not really) that you would hold this opinion.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Is this about weight, or women in combat?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...in an era when 120 lb. women are being recruited to enter active military combat! >>

What's the point of this post? Are you suggesting a woman who passes the same training tests, with the same testing requirements as men are unqualified to enter active military combat?

Color me shocked (not really) that you would hold this opinion. >>

I applaud a larger tent in the military. The responsibility has fallen way too long on males to defend our freedoms. Perhaps ladies in combat will have a greater appreciation of our constitution and start voting smarter at the polls.

My issue is with the infatuation with saving the football players from themselves. Football is a violent game and to retain any element of what makes it entertaining, it will always be a dangerous venue. We are seeing insane offensive numbers the last few years with damaged old timers like Peyton Manning and relative newcomers like Nick Foles* putting up record numbers Clearly the hitting rules have changed the game, but serious injury continues.

Any retired player that is surprised by the damage that they have endured is not too smart, as banging your head into an opponent multiple times should be a sign of problems to come.

I would not have played the game at a serious level even if I had the talent. With all the injury revelations, only one player that I am aware of has left the game recently. Rosters though seem full of those eager to participate.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is the "we" in the title to this thread that are "concerned about the well being of 300 lb. NFL players"?

I think that "we' would include the doctor who is at the forefront of studying CTW among football players (by studying the brains of deceased players) and others in her field of study.

They are likely:

1. concerned about learning what effect that collisions in football have on the human brain have in order to provide information to (families of boys and young men who are considering football as a sport)

much more than they are:

2. concerned about what effect collisions in football have on the brains of current NFL players (or even college players).

I think the sports media are part of the "we" since it gives them grist for the mill and something to report on.

I think that some relatives (i.e. mothers, fathers, spouses and children of current football players) may be part of the "We" who are concerned.

I think that in the near future others (including politicians and "advocates"/"activists") will become part of the "we" who are concerned.

I think that a few NFL and college players may cast aside their desire for gridiron glory at any cost and become part of the "we" who are concerned.

I think that franchise owners, management, coaches and staff will become part of the "we" who are concerned, but their concern will be more for their livelihood and bottom line than for the well being of the players.

I think that it may become inevitable that American Football will wane in participation and popularity in the coming decades as more and more knowledge surfaces about the short term and long term adverse consequences the game inflicts upon its players.

With regard to any Irony that exists due to the concern that the "we" have about the health of 300 lb. NFL players while women in combat is heading our way, I can only say that the goals, wants, needs and desires of the multiple and varied "interest groups" in society can be inconsistent with each other and overlap.

One group who clamours for one thing (i.e. the abolishment of rules forbidding women in combat) may at the same time be diametrically opposed to another thing (allowing boys or young men to play football) even though both things have similarities (risk of injury and/or death) that would suggest the particular group would take similar positions instead of opposite positions.

I wonder when allowing (or even mandating) female football players on NFL rosters will become the newest "cause". Coming soon to a football stadium near youimage
  • Options

<< <i>TextI wonder when allowing (or even mandating) female football players on NFL rosters will become the newest "cause". Coming soon to a football stadium near you >>

They would certainly be welcome as many of the players already have long hair, multiple tats and wear pink accessories.
  • Options

<< <i>I think that "we' would include the doctor who is at the forefront of studying CTW among football players (by studying the brains of deceased players) and others in her field of study. >>

That is all well and good but to me it seems as useful as studying the dangers of skydiving without a chute. The game is violent and unless the teams sit at a table and play on a Tudor electric football set (damn I am getting old) serious injuries will continue.

I sucked at team sports in school and wound up in the hospital and on crutches from playing flag football. Learned my lesson then.

As we will always have pugilists willing to step into the ring for a paycheck, we will always have full 50 team rosters in the NFL.

• Options
    Like boxing, American football will likely develop into a sport in which the participants come primiarily, if not exclusively, from the ranks of the poor who have less opportunity in life.

There will also be those in society that take it upon themselves to lead the march towards an outright ban on the sport.

They would seek to impose limitations and restrictions (while exempting themselves) upon the ability of persons to make their own choices about what they do with their bodies, minds and lives. All in the name of the greater good.
  • Options

<< <i>
    That is all well and good but to me it seems as useful as studying the dangers of skydiving without a chute. The game is violent and unless the teams sit at a table and play on a Tudor electric football set (damn I am getting old) serious injuries will continue. >>

Useful? I think anything that gives more insight into the inherent dangers of football and gives parents pause to get their kids involved, or older players to give up the game is the very definition of useful.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Well it looks like Stown would rather have parents left inthe dark around the inherent dangers in playing football. And anyone trying to do that is 'sissifying' the sport. Nice job Stown.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    That is all well and good but to me it seems as useful as studying the dangers of skydiving without a chute. The game is violent and unless the teams sit at a table and play on a Tudor electric football set (damn I am getting old) serious injuries will continue. >>

Useful? I think anything that gives more insight into the inherent dangers of football and gives parents pause to get their kids involved, or older players to give up the game is the very definition of useful. >>

Only a dolt would need the stamp of approval from the medical community to understand the hazards of football. I have always found that getting my body slammed into the ground repeatedly to be harmful to my health. No doctor needed for that.

Maybe we can have the government put a cigarette like warning sticker on each helmet. Even with those warnings on the cigarette packs, 25% of adults still smoke.
  • Options
    I find it curious why people are so against educating people. It's sad that the dissemination of information is seen as a negative by some people.
  • Options

<< <i>I find it curious why people are so against educating people. It's sad that the dissemination of information is seen as a negative by some people. >>

I find it odious that we sit obsequiously before the alter of modern medicine, mouth agape, awaiting their pronouncements of the obvious.
  • Options
    I remember a news report from many years ago that indicated a state legislature was considering a bill that would require that a warning sticker be placed on all marriage licenses advising that "marriage poses a risk of physical injury".

The sponsor of the bill thought that it would be a good thing to do in order to address the problem of domestic violence.

That news report made me laugh.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Who needs common sense when you can have someone dictate what you should or shouldn't do?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Who needs common sense when you can have someone dictate what you should or shouldn't do? >>

Who's dictating anything stown? Why are you afraid of the proliferation of data?