Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would ya'll agree this could very well be a Splasher?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked this reverse uni-face strike of a Dewitt unlisted 32mm diameter 1892 Grover Cleveland Presidential Campaign token struck on a thick over sized copper planchet up a few months ago deemed by the seller as a re-strike. Most likely as to the seller it just couldn't be a period strike as looks full blown red proof like superb gem struck yesterday. Re-strike just didn't make sense as I noticed the lack of details on the lawn which are present on the finished die. Upon arrival I saw that the lawn details for the north face of the White House had never been completed along with some hard lines under the lawn which still needed to be polished out. Below is a white metal example of the 1888 Grover Cleveland GC-1888-55 white metal which first featured this reverse and a 1892 lower graded white metal example from the recent John Ford sale. As you can see the 1888 die was not re-cut as many of the architectural details are quite different between the two. On the 1892 white metal and the copper uni-face you can see the same re-cutting on the 8 in the date. I feel this is a copper spalsher test strike of a transitional unfinished die.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a splasher. Looks like a trial strike. A splasher is when a quantity of lead or white metal is poured on a surface and the die is pressed into the surface while it's still liquid. The splasher has irregular edges and is used to check the appearance of the die as it's being created. A trial strike is actually struck on a planchet to check the usually completed die.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is very cool. The recut 8 and doubling of the 1and 9 are pretty clear and certainly evidence it's the same die. Could difference in strike have to do with copper v. white metal? Regardless, your theory seems reasonable, probably more so than a restrike. Are there any known restrikes? Bill Jones might have some good information on this.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

<< <i>That is very cool. The recut 8 and doubling of the 1and 9 are pretty clear and certainly evidence it's the same die. Could difference in strike have to do with copper v. white metal? Regardless, your theory seems reasonable, probably more so than a restrike. Are there any known restrikes? Bill Jones might have some good information on this. >>

Thanks... There would be no difference in striking characteristics between metal types and for what it's worth final production was only issued in White Metal.
  • Options

<< <i>Not a splasher. Looks like a trial strike. A splasher is when a quantity of lead or white metal is poured on a surface and the die is pressed into the surface while it's still liquid. The splasher has irregular edges and is used to check the appearance of the die as it's being created. A trial strike is actually struck on a planchet to check the usually completed die. >>

Thanks Perryhall as I might have actually learned something on these boards image

I wasn't aware that hot liquid metal was poured (or splashed image ) onto a die or hub, as I have seen copper die trials called splashers that aren't irregular.

Edited to add: I guess I'm not alone as a good amount of the auction description at Heritage for slashers mention the word "struck".

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

" I wasn't aware that hot liquid metal was poured (or splashed ) onto a die or hub, as I have seen copper die trials called splashers that aren't irregular. "

PerryHall was correct. The way I envision a "splasher" is: it is used by the engraver as features are added to a matrix, or a
    die, or corrections are made to a die & the engraver wants to look at the work as it is progressing. The die is usually
    in the unhardened stage, or soft steel and they would not want to use a press that would damage the features on the
    die. They impress the unfinished, or partially completed die into a spot of warm metal on a table, or soft wax, or clay, etc.
    to see if any changes, or additions, are needed in the die before it is hardened and test strikes are made.

Generally splashers are not saved and thus are rare. The material may have been re-used for other work.
    I would not call your piece an example of a "splasher".
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know. It sure does look recent. Perhaps dipped or "cyanided?"

I could see the differences in the grass being the result of the uniface strike, just as the denticles are incomplete.

No decision.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file