Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A very special 1841-o seated dime in au58

Finest known?

Closed bud variety (transitional reverse)

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh my

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting....but you don't know if it was going to be mentioned in the auction description or not...maybe you could have Cherrypicked it and made a ton of money?...or someone else? A strong reason most people around here are not fond of things "currently for sale" to be talked about on the forums especially when it comes to Cherrypicks. Oh well. Yes, I have been hurt finacially by activities such as this...TWICE!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>Very interesting....but you don't know if it was going to be mentioned in the auction description or not...maybe you could have Cherrypicked it and made a ton of money?...or someone else? A strong reason most people around here are not fond of things "currently for sale" to be talked about on the forums especially when it comes to Cherrypicks. Oh well. Yes, I have been hurt finacially by activities such as this...TWICE! >>

it happened twice, yet we've read about it 10x. odd

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very interesting....but you don't know if it was going to be mentioned in the auction description or not...maybe you could have Cherrypicked it and made a ton of money?...or someone else? A strong reason most people around here are not fond of things "currently for sale" to be talked about on the forums especially when it comes to Cherrypicks. Oh well. Yes, I have been hurt finacially by activities such as this...TWICE! >>

I believe they aware due to the professional photograph. Otherwise it wouldn't meet their value threshold. Also they would have autopopulated some information about the coin if they weren't going to write a description.
  • Options

<< <i>

I believe they aware due to the professional photograph. Otherwise it wouldn't meet their value threshold. Also they would have autopopulated some information about the coin if they weren't going to write a description. >>

Assuming things.....
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>

. >>

I know! Certainly not because I have brought it up 10 times! I have merely participated in threads that others have created on the topic. Very odd, indeed! You wouldn't know anything about participating in threads, would you? image
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

. >>

I know! Certainly not because I have brought it up 10 times! I have merely participated in threads that others have created on the topic. Very odd, indeed! You wouldn't know anything about participating in threads, would you? image >>

image Sounds like someone didn't want everyone to know what was on his radar! Really don't think it was off any radars you needed to worry about! image
  • Options

<< <i>image Sounds like someone didn't want everyone to know what was on his radar! Really don't think it was off any radars you needed to worry about! image >>

There is great potential to be a big difference between 3, 4, 5 bidders or 9, 10, 11 bidders etc.

No, this was not an item I would have been going after as soon as it was realized others knew about it as it would not be for my core collection... Like many others, I do frequently check major auctions for a lot of potential cherrypicks, including this one...just in case. For this one, I would have most likely pointed it out to a friend via PM, in case he was unaware, instead of broadcasting it to the world. That's all. I just happen to be aware of what it feels like to have the bank account hit a couple of times is all.
  • Options

<< <i>I know! Certainly not because I have brought it up 10 times! >>

that is far from the truth so i am still image

• Options
    Oh a dime in plastic, That is what everyone keeps telling me to buy. At AU 58 what makes this one so special? (Yes Yes I know nothing about seated dimes)
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this dime in Mint State you believe?

Is that just weakness of strike on the N in One on the reverse? Or actual wear?

Nice dime none the less

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I know! Certainly not because I have brought it up 10 times! >>

that is far from the truth so i am still image
    . >>

Normally I would not invite PMs from a person that is quick to attack/bash/insult extremely well respected and noted numismatists when they go out of their way to help you with a question (Rick Snow for example)...or goes off to edit other noted numismatist's copyrighted works instead of linking to it (David Lange's Mercury Dime Book) ...or attacks people for not searching the archives when you yourself have been guilty of not doing this very thing...but please, go ahead, feel free to PM links to me where I have started a thread with a topic along these lines. I'm most interested to see if you can show me one example where I started the thread, let alone ten. Prove me wrong, show me TEN! If I recall, I have only participated in threads like this started by others. I'm sure you will enjoy your time searching and finding TEN examples for us.

• Options
    So how about this dime? Is it under grade? Weak strike or actual wear? why should someone own this dime?
  • Options

<< <i>So how about this dime? Is it under grade? Weak strike or actual wear? why should someone own this dime? >>

Cherrypicker Guide Variety. Transitional Reverse (Large O Reverse). Worth thousands, not hundreds. It is not noted on the holder and since the auction listing is already paired up with previous auction results of the common coin, it probably was not going to be noted in the auction description either as it was initially cataloged as the common coin. That could all change now...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing special about this dime!

Not that nice for an AU58!

What's all the fuss.

Back away from the keyboard and don't come back for 2 or 3 months!

PLEASE!!!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll ass-ume that the OP also would yell FIRE! in a crowded movie theater just to watch the reaction.

Well hello, image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>Finest known? >>

i don't know but i'll work to find out!

• Options
    [qIf I recall, I have only participated in threads like this started by others. >>

i never stated nor implied you started threads about it. yet another misconception of yours. i take no offense though as i am used your unfortunate misinterpretations.

• Options

<< <i>[qIf I recall, I have only participated in threads like this started by others. >>

i never stated nor implied you started threads about it. yet another misconception of yours. i take no offense though as i am used your unfortunate misinterpretations.
    . >>

I beleive you implied that by taking a partial quote from me and placing it out of context and using your cute laughing icon. My full line quote prior to your laughing icon was...

I know! Certainly not because I have brought it up 10 times! I have merely participated in threads that others have created on the topic. Very odd, indeed! You wouldn't know anything about participating in threads, would you?

...maybe if you had read it all before posting ridiculous comments...

Forget it, you are a waste of my time. The drama you work so hard to add to the forums just isn't needed. I'm done here.
  • Options
    Did some one see the cat that got out of the bag it is really nice now that I saw it......
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...it is really nice now that I saw it...... >>

What's nice? the coin or the spoiler alert? image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Heritage is definitely aware of this being the transitional reverse. If I wasn't 100% sure of that fact, I would have never posted this thread, even if I was uninterested in the coin. For one thing, they have this specific item listed as having a "3 star" value, which puts it over 5 figures.
  • Options

<< <i>Is this dime in Mint State you believe?

Is that just weakness of strike on the N in One on the reverse? Or actual wear?

Nice dime none the less >>

No, it is a very scarce variety (closed bud). I believe it has an r-7 rarity, and as far as I known this is either the finest or very close to it.
  • Options
    well I would have to say both lol
  • Options

<< <i>No, it is a very scarce variety (closed bud). I believe it has an r-7 rarity, and as far as I known this is either the finest or very close to it. >>

i don't want to presume you are talking about the large O, so do your statements pertain to that one or the other one?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No, it is a very scarce variety (closed bud). I believe it has an r-7 rarity, and as far as I known this is either the finest or very close to it. >>

i don't want to presume you are talking about the large O, so do your statements pertain to that one or the other one?
    . >>

I believe that both the large and small O closed bud varieties have an r7 rarity, at least in that grade level (Don't think I've ever seen a small o, closed buds above vf though).
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that both the large and small O closed bud varieties have an r7 rarity, at least in that grade level (Don't think I've ever seen a small o, closed buds above vf though). >>

tyvm

i guess one could have stated it goes without saying you were talking about the large O since that is the type that is in the op but i just find it better to verify or be specific, or even fragment the conversation into other interesting sub-parts. it seems to have partly worked too (for me anyway) since you stated you've not seen a small O CB above vf. i would suspect this to be the case based on statements made from certain people about the large vs small O CB 10c.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen the small o in strong xf on ebay and missed getting it by seconds!image
  • Options
    This one looks different than the OP is this one a fake or just horably cleaned ?1841-o It is a small o
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This one looks different than the OP is this one a fake or just horably cleaned ?1841-o It is a small o >>

Not fake, just horably cleaned. This is a different variety also..

The one in the Heritage auction has closed buds on the reverse. The closed buds reverses are the rare ones. The one in the ebay auction is fairly common with open buds.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    Is the OP the consignor?
  • Options

<< <i>Is the OP the consignor? >>

Nope, I have no idea who is.
  • Options
    Good question and if so what a good idea to market to the master collectors to raise the price.image
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I think it's safe to say there are more than 20 Large O dimes out there. This is a high grade example. It will be interesting to see the bidding.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file