Home U.S. Coin Forum

1971 Jefferson Nickel ?..........

OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone ever heard of a 1971 Jeff with the modified Obverse and a unmodified reverse of 1970
I heard or read about the existence of one of these, but cannot find any info relating to it.

Steve
Promote the Hobby

Comments

• According to Breen

"2768 - 1971 Modified reverse [106.884.000] French windows between outer and inner pillars have slant¬ing tops; balconies, pillars, lintel, and window lines all strengthened; top step thinner. Probably exists with 1967-70 reverse."

I do not remember ever seeing one.

(The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Frank..........I'm gonna take that as, its a Unicorn

Oh and congrats on 11 years runningimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same thing can be said for the retooled 1967 SMS, are there examples out there that were made with the weaker Reverse of 1938? Or the 1977 with Reverse of 1971, 1987 with the Reverse of 1977? But keep in mind, a reverse die of the prior year would of had to been paired with the newer obverse and that thousands of those varieties would have been made. And devout collectors who pulled many rolls, aware of such a possible variety, would have made the variety known had it existed. I have and continue to keep that in mind when searching for such varieties with those dates. And yes, I would have said something if it were true.
    Also, Breen's catalog of coins was a collective effort on behalf of many numismatics and collectors, he never verified all the incoming info that went into the catalog.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Same thing can be said for the retooled 1967 SMS, are there examples out there that were made with the weaker Reverse of 1938? Or the 1977 with Reverse of 1971, 1987 with the Reverse of 1977? But keep in mind, a reverse die of the prior year would of had to been paired with the newer obverse and that thousands of those varieties would have been made. And devout collectors who pulled many rolls, aware of such a possible variety, would have made the variety known had it existed. I have and continue to keep that in mind when searching for such varieties with those dates. And yes, I would have said something if it were true.
    Also, Breen's catalog of coins was a collective effort on behalf of many numismatics and collectors, he never verified all the incoming info that went into the catalog.

>>

I believe this pairing of old reverse and new obverse dies was quite common. The mint shuts down
    on the first working day of the year to swap out the old dies for new ones. I believe what happens is
    the technician sees a reverse die in excellent condition and believes he already changed it. This leaves
    a brand new obverse die with the current date paired with the obsolete reverse die. Most years the
    differences are slight and identifiable only on perfect specimens if at all and other years there are big
    differences in the reverse die.

Most moderns were saved in tiny numbers and from very few sources. This has allowed the entire out-
    put of many varieties to go into circulation. If the difference is subtle it can be erased even on perfect
    specimens by circulation.

I don't recall seeing any '71-P / '70 reverse coins but these could have escaped by notice if they appeared
    to be merely a weak strike or if they were quite scarce. I did see most die pairs of this coin before they
    became worn.
    Tempus fugit.
    Thanks Guys,

I guess its time to stop chasing that Unicorn............Plus it'll help break a life long habit
    of flipping over every 1971 nickel I've recieved in change and looking and a wishing image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Yo Steve, don't listen to these old farts! Keep the dream alive and don't stop looking!

As I always say....if you don't look, you will never find!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yo Steve, don't listen to these old farts! Keep the dream alive and don't stop looking!

As I always say....if you don't look, you will never find! >>

I'm still looking for my white whale; a 76 type II Ike with a type I obverse.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>Yo Steve, don't listen to these old farts! Keep the dream alive and don't stop looking!

As I always say....if you don't look, you will never find! >>

Haha thanks guys......Just yesterday fate tempted me once again by handing me a 71 in change
    (actually it was the cashier at Riteaid) and I held it in my hand till I got to my truck, before I got in
    to the truck I stood there looking at it.......and I was about to stash it in my pocket, and then
    thought to myself WTH and I turned it over and looked......Long story short, 71 Nickel "2382" Me "0"
    I felt so weakimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
    Keep the dream alive!!!!!

<< <i>I don't recall seeing any '71-P / '70 reverse coins but these could have escaped by notice if they appeared
    to be merely a weak strike or if they were quite scarce. I did see most die pairs of this coin before they
    became worn. >>

First off, the dream is still alive...........Thanx to y'all image, Second, I have to admit a lot of the 71's were Phillys
    that I looked at !!!, CladKing mentions Phillys in the above quote, and in the thread title I just mention 1971
    Nickels..........I never put much thought into this "Possible" variety, and it occurs to me that Phillys are the
    Unicorn because what prior year did Philidelphia mint a nickel prior to 1971???.........now I could see a slight
    chance with Proof 71 S's and a far greater chance with 71 D's and I'm admit I'm embarresed to say I've really
    never thought of this beforeimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a very rare coin in my opinion. A 1982-P with the Reverse of 1977 steps. I have three coins of this rarity and paid some $300
    for two of them. And then later, received another one of low quality that was given to me. But after some time, I got to thinking, what are these coins worth? How do you start a market for these coins? Not too many people have them so I have one listed on my website for $1000. I've had
    3 people ask about it with no takers as they figured they can wait and find their own. and that's ok and I wished them luck with their endeavor. This coin was made after the 1981-P and for those who collect this series, know just how difficult the 81-P in full steps is to find, especially a high grade example. And I have that coin for sale as well, an easy 4 figure coin. But this coin, a 1982-P Reverse of 1977 that just squeezes out 5 steps on the reverse side from an old reverse die of 1981 but dated 1982? What is it really worth, I keep asking myself. There's really not enough of them to spark PCGS to start grading them. This coin is likely unknown to them, IMO. But anyway, I thought I would just throw this coin out there since it's one of those varieties that does exist and it has been a very exciting coin for me anyway, knowing very few people have them.

Cheers! Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Will we Jefferson Collectors ever get sophisticated enough to have "Die Pairing" varieties? Some folks do it why not us?????

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file