Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1822 and 1828 quarters: 25/50 reverse

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
These are two tough die marriages from the large sized Capped Bust series, which share a common reverse die. I was fortunate enough to buy both out of the same collection a few years ago, which was assembled from the 1930s to about 1960. It's really too bad, but there were no examples of 1823 and 1827 in this collection.... or perhaps I just did not get to buy them. I guess I am really glad I do not have to hunt down these two die varieties, as they increased in price dramatically some time shortly after I purchased them. The release of two fine books about Bust Quarters since then has not helped the availability of these interesting coins.

The 1822 B-2 is by far the tougher of the two with less than 50 known (see related thread from last week). I do not know anything about its provenance, except that it was off the market since before 1961. If anyone can find a picture of it in an old auction catalog, please let me know. I would love to know its history and would be infinitely grateful if someone with a better numismatic library could trace it. The reverse mark should help identify it.

My 1828 B-3 was last offered publicly in the 1954 Anderson-Dupont sale as far as I know. This coin is cleaned and will not grade at PCGS, but has plenty of meat on it.

Comments

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Both are very nice and I would love to own both. Congrats!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhedden, you have posted two very difficult to find coins, especially the 1822 25/50, which to the person unfamiliar with the series looks like a mid-grade circulated Bust quarter, but the people who collect or just enjoy Bust quarters recognize as a very nice coin. According to the Rea, et. al., book, this coin would rank right in the middle of the 45 or so known examples, but it is original and undamaged and just a wonderful coin. Way, way nicer than most of these, and congratulations on being wise enough to buy it. image

The 1828 25/50 uses the same reverse die, which is unusual for a die to be used 6 years after its initial use. It is a nice coin as well, despite the cleaning.

Too bad that there weren't examples of the 1823 and 1827.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins----I think that they are excellent examples of coins that are scarce enough to readily trade raw.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rch- Thanks for calling me "wise," but "lucky" is a better word. The fact is that I was (naively) more excited at the time about buying the 1804 out of this set. It's a nice coin too, but nowhere near as rare. The significance of acquiring the 1822 B-2 didn't hit me until after I received the set and started to become better educated about this difficult series.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these coins!!! Anyone that has both 25/50 are doing a great job. I know I was looking for about 3 years to find nice examples of both dates.
    I have been wondering about how many 1828 25/50 that exists. Whenever I look for one - I can't seem to be happy with those that I see offered. Your example is very impressive!!

Congratulations!!! Great looking coins and thank you for your post!
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Congrats...two awesome Bust Quarters image
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Some sweet stuff! I'd like to have had the opportunity to fall into those two coins! I've got the 1828 25/50, it's in a gennie holder because someone tried to scratch out the denomination (They wanted to mess it up even more!) Otherwise a very nice original coin.

I'd trade a decent chunk of my collection for the 1822, including my 1804. Just let me know!!! image
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply awesome!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins, both are on my want list, I've got most of the other large sized capped bust quarters but these two elude me, mostly due to price.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coins~!~ I especially like the 1822!! It took me like forever to find an acceptable example and the one I found is not really that acceptable - maybe just barely.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file