Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Camera question

I am looking to buy a new camera for purposes of taking better photo, especially of smaller coins. I am leaning toward an SLR style to replace my dying old Olympus "point and shoot."

My question: does anyone here have a setup where they can us a large computer monitor or a television to validate proper manual focus before taking the picture? In other words, I'd like to use a large screen as a viewfinder. If so, what camera do you have and what interface (USB, HDMI, etc) do you use to achieve this?
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    I have a canon 4ti and use my laptop as a view finder. Just plugs into the usb port .
    It also allows remote shooting so you click the mouse pad to take the pic. so there
    is no vibration. Has HDMI Output- Mini-HDMI Output x 1 (Type C) but I do not use
    this.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    I use a Canon T4i with macro lens on a copy stand. It is connected via USB to an old desktop Mac using the included Canon software and a 30-inch screen (2560x1600 resolution) and it works well. I've also used a 12-inch laptop which works fine as well.

If I understand the nature of your question, you are trying to maximize the viewfinder size. To achieve this I would suggest that resolution of the monitor is every bit as important as the actual screen size. TVs in particular can have mammoth screen size, but if the resolution is not high enough you could end up looking at very large pixels that may not provide the detail you are seeking. Computer monitors generally have sufficient resolution for their size and there are some TVs that have proper size/resolution ratio for this purpose. Just be aware in your preparations.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canon body , Tamrom 90mm Macro lens, incandescent lights, mounted on an old enlarger stand, ACDsee 14 photo SW.
    Also use Axial photo set up if needed, otherwise just either white or black background.
    here is my setup.
    [URL=http://s627.photobucket.com/user/cdncoins/media/axialsetup1_zpsf1bdf497.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s627.photobucket.com/user/cdncoins/media/axial2_zpse889e27a.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks, you've given me some very good input.

I was looking at Nikon cameras during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday timeframe, but I did not see a pathway to have every feature I needed, so I passed on them. I'll check into Canons.

Cool setup YQQ.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Either the Canon T4I or 7D should work good for the digital body, but make sure to get a good quality macro lens to aid with the copy work. I went a little overboard on the macro lens I use and bought this Canon EF Lens like new from a local camera store for $400 under list. If it would help in your search, check prices on the wesites for Adorama or B&H Photo as these two stores have been my go to places for photography purposes online for a long time.

Steve
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Seconded on a good macro lens. In my opinion the quality of the macro lens is actually more important than the quality/features of the camera itself.

I use this 150mm lens, although for the 4/3 format:

Linky

• Options
    Sigma makes fantastic lenses.
    However, you can get every tax break in the book since you are doing this for profit.
    there is does not matter if you pay 1000 or 2000, you can use that cost as a business expense.
    I think most members here are not in that position and do have concerns about paying a lot of $ just for coin photography.
    Hence, perhaps lower cost canon bodies and lower cost lenses like Vivitar, Tamron etc would be more within the average collectors reach.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    It was just an example of the lens I use, and I would agree that the price as listed at the link is more than most would ever want to spend. Heck, I spent nowhere near that (I think it was $699 on sale when I bought mine new). Also, it's a good lens to keep an eye out for used, on eBay, etc., where you can save a whole lot.

For example:

eBay Linky

With the Best Offer, who knows, the seller might take $400-450.

Here is one that sold at auction for $367:

eBay Linky

And another for $406:

eBay Linky

If you have a copy stand large enough, I prefer 150mm over 90mm, as it allows me to have the camera farther away, making lighting more flexible.
  • Options
    you are dead on with that lighting issue.
    I come across it often and wish.......wish... I had bought a 150 or 185...
    h
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Wybrit,
    I use a canon t3 and get good results. I also believe you can attach the camera to a screen, but I don't do that myself.

I use the camera for coin photography, regular photography and even a bit of astrophotography through a telescope. I have been very pleased with it and would buy it again if I had it to do over.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Canon with bellows set up, and couldn't be happier. I think a lot of people focus too much on the camera body, and particularly on expensive glass -- when the true culprit of most poor coin photographs is improper lighting. If you are purchasing a camera for uses outside of coin photography, then you may be justified in spending boat loads on lenses, but if you're looking for high quality images of coins, you don't need that kind of glass.

The Canon T2i, T3i, and T4i series are more than enough camera/sensor for professional numismatic photography. You can buy a bellows and enlarging/duplicating lens for < $350, and you'll get quality on par with any images taken with a $1200+ macro lens I have seen.

A few examples:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-