Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thanksgiving...good day for grading a couple of 8 Reales ?

Here you go...a couple of circulated Ferdinand VII ....the Imaginary Bust has seen a wipe but is quite acceptable in hand. Some pretty neat die polish lines exist down
in the protected areas of the bust, a bit of it is visible in my pics in the left side drapery. Also, some sort of clashing 2 and 3 o'clock on the obverse.
The Mexico looks uncleaned, but might need some image
Go ahead and grade 'em !

Comments

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be comfy seeing the first one in an EF40 holder, and the 2nd one in a VF35 holder.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both VF35, in my opinion. Nice indigenous bust Peruvian. 1811 was a transition year, if memory serves me right. Speaking of that bust series, I remember Calbeto having 2 varieties for 1810 - one with and one without a lock of hair sticking up on king's forehead.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Roman says VF35, then I'm saying VF35.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If Roman says VF35, then I'm saying VF35. >>

Yeah, me too. It reminded me of the time that we used to joke, "paging Roman" or whoever was the expert on a particular field. I gotta say though, that the first one, looks like it has exceeded the limits of acceptable cleaning, judging from the color in the lettering and the contrast with the fields and portrait. If it were perfectly round, you could frame it as it is.image VF details, or am I completely off?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If Roman says VF35, then I'm saying VF35. >>

Yeah, me too. It reminded me of the time that we used to joke, "paging Roman" or whoever was the expert on a particular field. I gotta say though, that the first one, looks like it has exceeded the limits of acceptable cleaning, judging from the color in the lettering and the contrast with the fields and portrait. If it were perfectly round, you could frame it as it is.image VF details, or am I completely off? >>

You are not off at all, the 1811 would not/ should not straight grade ...but it is completely acceptable in hand as a raw type coin IMO. The same goes for the 1810, not so much because of any "problems" in this case.... just not worth enough to cover the grading fees. That applies to both coins really.
    I really like to collect these raw in VF/XF condition, generally I don't mind some minor problems on some of these type of coins if it allows me to pick up an interesting type for a decent price.
    I also dig nice original pieces in better grades....but those I am much more picky about, and prefer to have them graded and safely tucked into a tomb image

Thanks for the feedback, all...and I'd love to see some more Imaginary busts if anyone cares to post them here...image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second coin looks quite crusty.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice post and responses. 2K is the 8R expert indeed and that is not as simple of a domain to navigate.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The second coin looks quite crusty. >>

There are also a few green spots on the reverse that could benefit from an acetone soak.