Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1987 Classic Board Game

I picked up a sealed copy of this game for pretty cheap last week.

I played it as a kid, but don't remember how the cards were packaged inside.

Is it worth opening and grading some of the cards? Or am I better off just reselling it sealed down the road?
Looking for PSA HOF autos, PSA Vintage Red Sox and Pedro Martinez

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    10s are hard to come by. A Bo 10 could net you $1k. I've graded several and have been lucky on a few. Kingbeeswax will chime in with some good knowledge on this set.

Cards are packed tightly in 2 cellos of 50-cards each. From what I've seen, the cellos very either very rough cut with lots if chipping and fraying (similar to OPC) or very clean cut all the way around. Either way, it's consistent throughout the box. You may have either one in the sealed set.

Good luck in what you decide to do. I'd be interested if the price is right. Feel free to PM me or post your sell price if you decide to let it go.

...I am assuming you are referring to the full sized green game and not the smaller travel size (yellow).

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Prices seem to be coming down on these. Still selling well, but I would not expect $1000 on the Jackson based on the last couple of sales. Mile High Extra Innings ended at $307 after buyers premium for the Bo Jackson PSA 10 this week. Probably a good deal, but probably not over $500 on that card at this point. Still worth a shot. The Larkin is a tough PSA 10 too. Sell for over $100 most likely.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    If I can find sealed sets for under 25 I buy them. Anything more than that isn't worth the gamble. One card from the set in a 10 holder can make it worth it. If you look hard enough, you can find them on a fairly regular basis for that price. I've picked up a couple within the last month on ebay for 23 and under
    It never leaves you...
  • Options

<< <i>Prices seem to be coming down on these. Still selling well, but I would not expect $1000 on the Jackson based on the last couple of sales. Mile High Extra Innings ended at $307 after buyers premium for the Bo Jackson PSA 10 this week. Probably a good deal, but probably not over $500 on that card at this point. Still worth a shot. The Larkin is a tough PSA 10 too. Sell for over $100 most likely. >>

Noticed the other day that the pop report for Bo is now up to 19 psa gem mint 10s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Prices seem to be coming down on these. Still selling well, but I would not expect $1000 on the Jackson based on the last couple of sales. Mile High Extra Innings ended at $307 after buyers premium for the Bo Jackson PSA 10 this week. Probably a good deal, but probably not over $500 on that card at this point. Still worth a shot. The Larkin is a tough PSA 10 too. Sell for over $100 most likely. >>

Noticed the other day that the pop report for Bo is now up to 19 psa gem mint 10s. >>

Holy cow. That was a pop 6 just a few months ago. That explains the recent sales Beck mentioned.

Thee are still some toughies in a 10: Ripken, Sandberg, Canseco , Schmidt, Brett, Larkin to name a few. Kingbeeswax pulled a Sandberg 10 recently.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    mgugs46mgugs46 Posts: 217 ✭✭

<< <i>If I can find sealed sets for under 25 I buy them. Anything more than that isn't worth the gamble. One card from the set in a 10 holder can make it worth it. If you look hard enough, you can find them on a fairly regular basis for that price. I've picked up a couple within the last month on ebay for 23 and under >>

I got mine for $22 delivered

Guess I might as well open it and see what the cellos look like
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    One of the recent Bo sales was a terrible card, not deserving of the 10 holder. This may have also contributed to the price being unusually low.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    I decided to open these - not sure what to think - some were in rough shape [the ones at the top/bottom of the cellos] while others were in much better shape.

I do not do much PSA grading though - can anyone tell me if these are worth subbing?

The spots/scuffs are from the scanner bed
  • Options
    Closer view of the Bo

• Options
    Here is a PSA 10 listed on eBay now for comparison:

• Options
    Any opinions?
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    These cards are just so tough, it's hard to really tell. How is the surface on the Bo?

Also, I think the right top corner should probably be more square if you're hoping for a 10.

How does the Murphy look? I think that's a tough card as well. I think KingBeesWax is the one to comment on this set around here. He's hit some low pop 10s from this set and may know best what to look for.

Best of luck if you decide to try and sub.

Justin
  • Options
    I think it looks real good. but just check surface to look for bubbles or any other issues

The corners to me look sharp.

whats with the white spots on the face?
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    I love this set and popped the first 2 Bo 10's a while back. Since then I have sent in lot's of them and on my last sub sent in 20 nice Bo's and PSA 9 was the highest grade. I will just hold on to them because I love the card. I also met Bo and got 11 of these cards signed and 2 are on ebay now in PSA DNA holders, sold a few so far too. The Sandberg is really tough and I just popped the only 10. Canseco is tough, Eric Davis and whoever else is on the top of the 2 cellos are tough too but sometimes 1 cello varies but Eric Davis is almost always on top of one. I have a few sealed boxes but not sure what I am doing with them yet. I opened probably about 100 of them. Cases held 12 boxes and I was lucky to find one from someone who purchased storage locker contents and picked it up in person. That Bo PSA 10 that sold with the very white border brought the price down and then so many more 10's graded will keep it down to about $300 for now but I can't see it going down too much less and will probably rise up eventually. Such a big card in the late 80's-early 90's! It is a cool set because it's the first and probably lowest produced Classic set that's full of stars and stars of that time and most cards have nice photography and look nice. One of my favorite sets!
  • Options
    White spots are from the scanner - dust/etc

There is no dots on the actual card itself. Same goes with the other cards in the scan.

It looks pretty good to me - as does the Sandberg, but I am far from remotely close to a grading expert as the only thing in years I have graded has been chrome prospect cards with BGS.
  • Options
    The Bo and Sandberg look good.

Are there any recent sales for Rose, Schmidt, and Henderson in a 10?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)