Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Best Offer??

Last week I placed an offer on a graded card listed on eBay. It had a listed period of 7 days and the BIN price was $85 with $5 shipping. I offered $70, knowing it may have been a little low, just hoping the seller would accept it. The 48 hour period ran out without acceptance or rejection. I though about it and increased my offer to $75, still with the $5 shipping fee. I'm thinking if this offer is ignored after 48 hours I may as well pay the BIN price. What's the use for listing it with "Best Offer"?
I might go ahead and pay the BIN price but am thinking about feedback. Should I ding the seller on communication? I've never had to give anything less than a five. Does the feedback only address the final transaction or should I mention the failed Best Offer deals? The seller has a 99.9% feedback. Is it common practice to ignore Best Offers?
Thanks and I hope every has a great Thanksgiving!

Comments

• Yeah, that's poor form. I would think that the $75 at least deserves a counteroffer, because you're in the neighborhood.
  • scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Bruce -

I consistently have trouble with my Best Offer settings in ebay -- I rarely get notified when an offer is made -- and sometimes they lapse without me ever noticing -- pretty sure my settings are correct.

At any rate, I'd suggest sending an email just to make sure the seller is aware -- of course he might just be a DB image

Scott
  • Thanks Scott, that would explain it.
  • I sent the seller a message via eBay last night and still no response. I'm guessing he's either in the hospital or jail.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sent the seller a message via eBay last night and still no response. I'm guessing he's either in the hospital or jail. >>

Perhaps (s)he may not make eBay a 24-hour priority (or weekly) or may be traveling for the holiday.

Some people just don't place as much of an urgency to such things or don't feel compelled to respond even if they've listed an item with a BIN and B/O option. The sooner everyone realizes that others do not do business the same as some may wish, the easier it is to understand and get through transactions without much agitation.

Personally, I respond promptly, pay promptly and ship promptly, but don't lose sleep when others don't. Patience and understanding of the human condition make forays on eBay much more tolerable.
  • Scott, I could understand if it was an auction. I believe some even post a note on their auction that they will be out of town for a period of them (Probstein if I remember correctly).

• << <i>Perhaps (s)he may not make eBay a 24-hour priority (or weekly) or may be traveling for the holiday.

Some people just don't place as much of an urgency to such things or don't feel compelled to respond even if they've listed an item with a BIN and B/O option. The sooner everyone realizes that others do not do business the same as some may wish, the easier it is to understand and get through transactions without much agitation.

Personally, I respond promptly, pay promptly and ship promptly, but don't lose sleep when others don't. Patience and understanding of the human condition make forays on eBay much more tolerable. >>

If they don't take their listings seriously and don't feel compelled to respond, then the seller absolutely deserves a hit against communication. If they want to treat potential buyers that way, they can take their stuff over to iOffer.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Bruce. Just got a note from a seller - the holiday is slowing down his trips to the PO and apologized.

I told him not to worry.

It's not like I'm waitin' for a kidney. image

Hopefully he'll get back to ya tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving.
    Mike
  • Good morning Mike, I submitted my first Best Offer a week ago. I would think he would have had time to reply since then.
    Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Best Offer versus First Best Offer. Would first best offer qualify as one of those oxymorons ? :-)
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Lol! Good point!
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kind of sad that there is a number of people who simply don't have the courtesy to make a simple reply to another.

I sold a card a while back, nothing exciting, buyer never sent money and never responded to emails and didn't reply/respond to my request to cancel transaction. Took almost a month before I could relist!

Sad.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    what I hate most on a best offer is when the seller just plain lets your offer expire.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • I can tell you one thing: If I make an offer and the seller doesn't even bother to respond to it, I sure the hell would not make another one. You must have really wanted that card!
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • ding ding ding ding! You're right! I do want it.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ding ding ding ding! You're right! I do want it. >>

Just hit the buy it now and be done with it.

I can't imagine seeing a card I really want and letting $10 stand in the way.

• I reread the description and the seller said to email him with any questions before bidding. Duh! I emailed him and explained that I never received a response. My offer was accepted! image
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I reread the description and the seller said to email him with any questions before bidding. Duh! I emailed him and explained that I never received a response. My offer was accepted! image >>

Congratulations Bruce!

Seems this guy isn't into frivolous chit chat?
    Mike
  • Like sobchekoriolefiveniner the iPad button attempt simply brought up that frikkinlame upper deck rewards card thing