Home Sports Talk

2014 Hall of Fame Candidates

orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
LINK

This is obviously one of the deepest lists ever for hall of fame consideration. I personally feel that steroid users should be considered for the hall. You cant just ignore an entire era of baseball history and pretend it didnt happen. My selections do not include the known users, even though I think some should be in. From the list I think the following 11 players belong in, Bagwell, Biggio, Glavine, Kent, Maddux, Martinez, McGriff, Morris, Piazza, Raines, and Thomas. Of course all of them will not be inducted this year all at once, but I think these 11 will all get in at some point.
What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

Comments

• gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I think Maddux, Thomas, and Biggio get in this year (and maybe Schilling). I think Kent has a long wait ahead of him.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Maddux, Thomas, and Glavine have the best shot, in that order.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could easily vote for a whole bunch of guys. Who I think WILL get in? Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, and Biggio.
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Here's who should be voted in:

Bonds, Clemens, Glavine, Maddux, Martinez, McGwire, Piazza, Sosa, and Thomas.

Who will make it in:

Glavine, Maddux, Thomas.

I think Thomas makes it in a landslide as the voters have to be itching to vote in a power hitter who never had steroid suspicions around him.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maddux, Thomas, and Glavine have the best shot, in that order. >>

Agree with this. Maddux should approach a Seaver-like % of the vote.

I think Maddux and Thomas will get in. Glavine and Biggio will come close. Would like to see Piazza get in, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bobby Cox is on the list too I thought. Think he'll go?
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

<< Maddux, Thomas, and Glavine have the best shot, in that order. >>
    Agree with this also

Next could be quite a few deserving players I''l just go with last years almost inductee Biggio

Is this expansion year ballot adding extra inductees or are they still sticking with 4?

Possible they'll add Cox in with Maddux & Glavine to make it a clean sweep.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    For the players, think only Maddux and Biggio get in and then a postmortem vote for Steinbrenner.

Bags and Frank get close to 70% and get in next year.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • First time there are more than 10 names who truly deserve to make the Hall-of-Fame. Order I would rank them:
    Bonds, Clemens, Maddux, Bagwell, Thomas, McGwire, Raines, Piazza, Glavine, Biggio, Mussina, Schilling, Trammell, Palmerio, Sosa,

Amazing that right now Schilling is the best eligible pitcher after Clemens not in the Hall-of-Fame, now he's only the 12th best player on the ballot. Martinez and Walker are two who are right on the line, Kent and McGriff just under. Morris isn't close at all
    Biggio getting in before Thomas? That's hilarious.
    I'm curious as to why some of you think Tom Glavine won't get in on the first try. The guy was a 5-time 20-game winner, won the Cy Young twice, and won 305 games. He's a no-brainer.

• << <i>Here's who should be voted in:

Bonds, Clemens, Glavine, Maddux, Martinez, McGwire, Piazza, Sosa, and Thomas.

Who will make it in:

Glavine, Maddux, Thomas.

I think Thomas makes it in a landslide as the voters have to be itching to vote in a power hitter who never had steroid suspicions around him. >>

Completely agree with this. If you aren't going to let the roid guys in, then no one from the entire era should get in.

Why isn't there more love for Piazza? I know there were hints of possible steroid use but nothing solid. He was always considered the best at his position for most of his career and one of the best catchers of all time.

<< <i>Bobby Cox is on the list too I thought. Think he'll go? >>

Different list, different voters.
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    I think Maddox, Thomas and Glavine get in 1st ballot.
    Raines, Biggio and Bags next 1-5 years.
    Piazza probably 5-10 years. Piazza I felt was outstanding and Hall worthy, but I think some voters won't notice because he was never an MVP or owns significant records or milestones and two positions may hurt also.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I was a rabid baseball fan as a kid in the late 60's and early 70's. My recollection was that a ton of long fly balls were hit in Tiger stadium and most were pulled down by Al Kaline, Willie Horton and Mickey Stanley.

In the McGwire, Sosa, Bonds era those balls didn't die at the warning track but sailed into the bleachers.

You want to let that era of player into the Hall, so be it. Not in my book, though.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Biggio in? No way.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Biggio in? No way. >>

Over 3000 hits, 6th all time in doubles, over 400 stolen bases, every other stat category is solid. That's how he'll get it.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    He might get in, but he doesn't deserve it.

<< <i>

<< <i>Biggio in? No way. >>

Over 3000 hits, 6th all time in doubles, over 400 stolen bases, every other stat category is solid. That's how he'll get it. >>

He was an accumulator of stats, never a dominant force whatsoever. Topped 200 hits exactly once. 135th all time in WAR (despite the argument he was an elite defender he was top 10 in defensive WAR only once). He's the very epitome of a guy who played well for a very long time, but in no universe whatsoever should he be considered a hall of famer. His last 3 years he was a shell of himself, as he was obviously only playing to get to 3000 hits, because if he doesn't hit that plateau, then nobody outside Houston would consider him a HoFer.

It's not the Hall of Very Good, after all.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He might get in, but he doesn't deserve it. >>

Oh please. You're just mad that Edgar Martínez hasn't gotten in. Cheer up, he may get elected one day; probably after Frank sets the precedent for DHs.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

• << <i>

<< <i> 135th all time in WAR (despite the argument he was an elite defender he was top 10 in defensive WAR only once). >>

There are over 200 Major League players in the Hall-of-Fame. If WAR is an accurate reflection and he really is around the 135th best player in baseball history, that would strongly support Biggio as a viable Hall-of-Famer. (he is 112th among non-drug using eligible players. He even makes the top 100 when taking out 19th century players according to baseballreference.com)

<< <i>He's the very epitome of a guy who played well for a very long time >>

Absolutely. Playing very well for a very long time combined with a six year stretch where he was the best in the league at his position (ahead of Kent) and even a years as one of the very best in the league for all positions is the definition of a Hall-of-Fame player

• << <i>

Different list, different voters. >>

Also on that list are LaRussa, Torre, M. Miller & G. Steinbrenner.

The 2 managers get in - but the door is only partially open for both Marvin & George.
  • As for Jack Morris (his last year on the ballot) - the strength of players on this years ballot will probably hurt him and he will have to wait for the veterans committee. If the ballot were weaker - he'd probably get in - just on the growth & progression of his voting percentage over the last few years.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Different list, different voters. >>

Also on that list are LaRussa, Torre, M. Miller & G. Steinbrenner.

The 2 managers get in - but the door is only partially open for both Marvin & George. >>

Which 2 managers are you referring to? Cox is every bit as much of a lock as LaRussa.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.