Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Proof Tickets ?

Do Proof tickets have the same type of collect ability and command similar prices as tickets that were actually sold and issued for games ?
I have the opportunity to buy a few big game proof tickets, but wasnt sure what to offer for them. They are still on the original ticket sheet sent out to season ticket holders and should grade quite high if I decide to unattach them.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    unfortunately they do not

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    No...I lost my tail the one time I tried to flip proof tickets. Never again. Bidders avoid them like the plague. I recommend you do too (Actually, that sounds a little harsh - proof tickets do have SOME value. Just nowhere near the value of normal tickets).
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    In your opinion would they command half the price of one issued or less ? I saw some vintage WS tickets auction for some pretty fair coin not long ago.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In your opinion would they command half the price of one issued or less ? I saw some vintage WS tickets auction for some pretty fair coin not long ago. >>

usually 20-25%

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>I saw some vintage WS tickets auction for some pretty fair coin not long ago >>

If you saw that, and the seller was Probstein or PWCC, then I would suspect something funny going on with some 80% or higher bidders with a ton of retractions.
  • Options
    Sometimes they are pretty cool nonetheless, here is one of mine:

1909 Princeton vs Yale
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Proof tickets are not as desirable as game issued tickets. Their value depends on the importance of the event. A proof ticket to Don Larsen's perfect game will probably do well, but again don't expect the same price as a game issued. I've found that sellers generally value proof tickets higher than collectors do.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind having a proof of the '55 WS - full ticket.

I'm assuming the proof doesn't have any seat/section assignment on them?

Phantoms are cool - tho not worth much either except maybe if the season was a total bust due to it falling apart in the last week or so like the Sox did in 1978 or the Phillies in 1964?

For a fair price, I like all ticks that represent some kind of baseball historical event.
    Mike
  • Options
    Some proof ticket auctions to give you an idea.

1954 and 1955 Dodger panels
    $685 for the pair in Legendary auction

1956 panels
    $134 in Inside the Park Collectibles auction

Did not sell at $100 minimum bid in Inside the Park Collectibles auction

1932 WS Ticket collection/ Ruth called shot
    $2489 In Legendary

Larsen Perfect Game Ticket
    $780 in Legendary
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Tom

Thanx for doing all that homework!

Some really cool tickets.
    Mike
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of proof tickets, there is a full ticket from the 1932 World series, Game 4, trimmed on ebay currently.
    The seller previously had a bin of $2400+
    I guess they decided to auction it off, any guesses on what it'll finish at?

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    $406.76
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    What exactly is a proof ticket?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What exactly is a proof ticket? >>

I am curious too. I noticed you had a Wrestlemania I ticket for sale and I have seen dozens of the exact same ticket on EBAY. I am guessing a remake of some kind.

• Options
    A proof ticket wouldn't have seat assignments. That is one thing to look for.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I bought it a few years ago on eBay and thought it was just a regular ticket when I bought it.. Then I noticed it didn't have seat numbers so thought it might be fake. The past few months I saw it selling as a proof ticket so I figured I would sub it to psa to get it labeled and slabbed before selling to avoid any issues if the authenticity was questioned. What is the point of a proof ticket and how were they issued? Someone asked me actually eBay about it but I really didn't have an answer for him.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Proof or Printers Proof tickets are tickets that were printed by the teams respective printing company. The design, logo, opponent is usually filled out during this first print run. During the next print run the team will have the account #(if it is a season ticket holder), sec, row, seat, on the ticket. There were always an over allotment of first run proof tickets printed, I'm guessing for abundance of caution.

Proof tickets actually differ from ghost tickets in that ghost tickets will have actual seat, row, sections printed, but the game they were printed for was never played.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Proof or Printers Proof tickets are tickets that were printed by the teams respective printing company. The design, logo, opponent is usually filled out during this first print run. During the next print run the team will have the account #(if it is a season ticket holder), sec, row, seat, on the ticket. There were always an over allotment of first run proof tickets printed, I'm guessing for abundance of caution.

Proof tickets actually differ from ghost tickets in that ghost tickets will have actual seat, row, sections printed, but the game they were printed for was never played. >>

I'm not sure I buy this Barry. Do you have proof of this??

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    The easiest way for me to understand a "proof" ticket...not valid for admission.
    This applies to both events that did and did not happen.

Just like everything Barry stated above, including ghost tickets.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums