Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The quest for the exquisite

It's been a 40+ year march, but I am slowly making my way toward collecting the exquisite rather than any specific country, time period, denomination. Series bore me to tears.

I'm NOT going to buy this one, I'm already in deep with CRO for my current purchase (which I'll post in a year when I've paid it off :/ ). But this is an example of a coin that strikes into your soul. From Atlas Numismatics:

1013480 | THE CRUSADERS, Tripoli. Bohémond VII (Count, 1275-1287). Undated AR Gros. PCGS AU55. (25mm, 4.26 g, 8h). + SЄPTIMVS : BOЄMVNDVS : COMЄS, cross pattée within polylobe / + CIVITAS : TRIPOLIS : SУRIЄ, castle façade within polylobe. CCS 26; Metcalf 497-9.

$1250
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely Stunning!!! image
  • Options
    Know nothing about the series, but that is an awesome strike for a coin of that age. Great pics. Thanks
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful example of a very historic coin! Thanks for sharing

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    OP - I love the sentiment and agree wholeheartedly!

I'm curious about your CRO purchase....sounds intriguing.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OP - I love the sentiment and agree wholeheartedly!

I'm curious about your CRO purchase....sounds intriguing. >>

I second that!! Both Statements.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weiss - wonderful. As someone who exited the Morgan Dollar series and never looked back, I share the sentiment. Good luck in your quest.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

+1, and impressed that they offer a year layaway.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    The quest for the exquisite.

It's been a 40+ year march, but I am slowly making my way toward collecting the exquisite rather than any specific country, time period, denomination. Series bore me to tears.

I already had you "pegged" into these collectors who do not buy readily available coins etc, but if you say so....

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the club. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    That is an awesome coin, and a great way to collect. Too bad you're not collecting that particular coin. The CRO coin must certainly be something wonderful!
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin but it only sold for $650 plus fees before it was slabbed.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Never have been one for filling holes in binders and have always preferred getting the best of beautiful coins no matter what the country or denomination. I used to call it theme collecting, but your explanation of the exquisite fit my collecting best. Been here long enough for everyone to garner that though, I guess. Good luck at finding YOUR beauty on round metal objects. image
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin but it only sold for $650 plus fees before it was slabbed. >>

Indeed. Recently, too. But that doesn't detract from the beauty of the coin.

The fact that it was bid up to well over twice its estimate, presumably by people who do actually know the series & before it was slabbed, could be seen as strong support for its value and significance.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I just don't think the plastic adds $450 to the value.
  • Options

<< <i>I just don't think the plastic adds $450 to the value. >>

That's an interesting element to the exquisite. The asking price is irrelevant.

If it moves you, and it's as unique as an original artwork by a talented artist, what difference does it make if it's $5, $50, or $5,000?

The recent record sale of Francis Bacon's three-paneled painting "Three Studies of Lucian Freud" brought over $140,000,000. People (or groups of people) with incredibly deep pockets realized that it was representative of an entire movement (or series), it was the pinnacle of that movement, and it was unique.

The opinions of the art world mattered only insofar as they agreed it had all of those elements--which is what having this piece graded and encapsulated by PCGS represents (at least to a degree). The value of the painting was determined by the winning bidder and the underbidders, for that matter. FWIW: the estimate was roughly half of the hammer price (similar to our Bohemond piece, no?)

The price the seller paid for it, the gamble they took that it would slab and slab well, their cost of marketing and transacting business, all have a cost. But those costs are incidental to the value of the coin itself. If someone truly appreciates this piece, and if their search for a similar piece that moves them as much as this isn't fruitful, then $1250 for a unique, historically significant, beautiful, and 726+ year old silver work of art grading PCGS AU55 seems like a steal.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Definition of exquisite in my corner of the hobby....estimate proved to be irrelevant on this one in Monday's Sonntag auction. My bids were apparently mere warmups for the heavy hitters.

• Options
    Another Sonntag piece that was eye watering beautiful and the target of some sprited bidding ....
  • Options
    Outstanding examples of the exquisite, worldcoinguy.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>OP - I love the sentiment and agree wholeheartedly!

Get used to her, I'll be posting her in every even remotely related thread for the next several months image

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the inner halls are lit up for Christmas.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This falls under the exquisite category for me, as a medal I saw floating around on Ebay a few years ago. I kept it after getting out of medal collecting as I love this marriage medal design obverse and reverse capturing the bond between this couple.

1668. Denmark. Marriage of Fredericke Amalie to Christian Albert of Holstein at Glückstadt in 1667. Design: Jeremias Hercules. 56mm. Silver. Northumberland, no.25. Hamburger Beitrage zur Numismatik , Issues 21-23. NGC AU-58.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's an amazing strike.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.