Home Sports Talk
Options

McCann to the Yankees

Multiple sources reporting McCann signing a five year 85 million contract.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way too much money and too many years for a guy who is already on the decline offensively, less than average defensively and injury prone. Classic case of paying for past results instead of future performance.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    He can police home plate about how baseball should be played.........
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $17 million per year for a catcher is way too much, IMO. If it were for just two years, I would have less surprise with the contract.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    F**k the Yankees.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    What Mcadams said!
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>F**k the Yankees. >>

Vey insightful and constructive. Thanks.

I agree with grote15 & Barndog. Probably too much and too many years.

Hope for the best.
    This is interesting:

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    I think the Yankees were bidding against themselves on this one. I know other teams were interested - including the Red Sox - but that is quite a bit of money for a catcher.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I love McCann and wish the Braves weren't cash-strapped due their terrible TV deal, and had enough $ to keep him in town.

That being said.... McCann never really took over the team did like Chipper did and McCann certainly isn't the clutch hitter that Chipper was. McCann, in his early years, was mostly known as
    A) Having a great instinct for calling a game for a pitcher. B) Occasional HR power, but probably someone who would average 20/year, never someone who was going to reach 40/year, and C)A hitter who didn't have a natural home anywhere in the lineup. He didn't have enough power to bat 4th, didn't have the average to hit 3rd, and didn't have the panache to hit 5th to really serve as protection for a cleanup hitter. That's a lot of dinero for someone who really belongs in the 6 or 7 spot on a great team.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Considering the Yankees catcher position last year produced a line of .213 BA, .289 OB%, and .298 SLG%...McCann will be welcomed with open arms.