Home Sports Talk

Stan Musial: Far more than just a great ballplayer......

Yesterday I was watching a sports program and Bob Costas was describing an incident that took place at the 1957 All-Star Game. He went on to describe how racism was still quite prevalent in Major League Baseball in '57 and how on the day of the game four National League black All-Stars (Mays, Aaron, Banks & Robinson) were by themselves at one end of the locker room playing cards and all the white players were at the other end of locker room with no interaction taking place between the black & white players. Costas added that several of the white players had grown up in Southern states.

Suddenly one white player felt uncomfortable with the situation and walked over to the isolated black players, pulled up a chair and said, "deal me in". That player was Stan Musial.

Stan Musial was much more than a great ballplayer...he was also a great human being!!!
"You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Is this REALLY a DON sighting? How the heck have you been?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • One of the true good guys of baseball.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    That is why Stan is the Man
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes Stan was most certainly the "MAN" in many ways!

Harmon Killebrew and Brooks Robinson come to mind as wonderful people as well as great ballplayers.

Ted Williams, who had a few issues with both sportswriters and fans spoke up for the black players who had played in the Negro leagues in his HOF induction speech. He was the first player to bring up the subject during such a big moment.

An awful lot of bad stuff gets written, it would be nice if the good stuff was shared as well.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Starts around the 7:40 mark:

Link
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Curious about Musial still playing in the Majors in 1943 and 44 during World War II. In his 2007 biography it said that he was the sole provider for his children and parents and had already been working in zinc mines in the off season, an essential industry

• << <i>Starts around the 7:40 mark:

Link >>

Thank you Stown for the link to Costas speaking at Stan Musial's Eulogy!!

• << <i>Is this REALLY a DON sighting? How the heck have you been? >>

Hello Doug. Yes it be me. I'm doing fine and still focusing my extra time and health and fitness. And every few months I enjoy checking into the boards and seeing how the unopened hobby is faring. I'm seeing record prices being paid across the board so the hobby appears to be doing very well indeed--looks pretty "clean" as well. I hope you are doing well and I wish you and your family the very best during the holidays. Happy collecting, Don.image