4. Tony La Russa (yes),
5. Dan Quisenberry (yes),
6. Dave Parker (maybe),
7. Ted Simmons (maybe not),
8. Billy Martin (maybe not right now),
9. Steve Garvey (probably not),
10. Tommy John (I’m afraid not),
11. Dave Concepcion (no).
12. Marvin Miller. ..certainly not right now; we can talk about it in a few years.”

Comments

• Options
    Disagree

Parker and Garvey would be my top 2 picks.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Disagree

Parker and Garvey would be my top 2 picks. >>

We each have our favorites. I would not vote for Garvey. He explains his picks at length in a four part series, but it is a pay site. It's cheap-only $3/month.
  • Options
    Everyone I've seen write about these candidates has given a "yes" to Torre. It would be ridiculous if anyone makes it in over him: equal to any of the players on the list and any of the managers, yet someone that wouldn't be enough

The players are pretty weak. Quisenberry is a huge personal favorite of James. I would take Tommy John over him, but his story is so great I wouldn't mind seeing Quiz go in. Simmons wouldn't weaken the Hall-of-Fame nearly as much as Garvey and Concepcion
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone I've seen write about these candidates has given a "yes" to Torre. It would be ridiculous if anyone makes it in over him: equal to any of the players on the list and any of the managers, yet someone that wouldn't be enough

The players are pretty weak. Quisenberry is a huge personal favorite of James. I would take Tommy John over him, but his story is so great I wouldn't mind seeing Quiz go in. Simmons wouldn't weaken the Hall-of-Fame nearly as much as Garvey and Concepcion >>

I think I'd put in Simmons as the only one of the players to get in. He was hugely underrated during his career. Don't see a great case for any of the rest.

Would put in Torre & Cox.

Maybe Steinbrenner - I waffle on him.

But my #1, waaaaaaaay ahead of everybody else on the list, would be Marvin Miller. Of course, him being in and not Curt Flood just wouldn't seem right, but Marvin absolutely belongs.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Quisenberry was a really good closer, with a solid +/- 5 year run, and passed away waaaay too young. However, and I say this with all due respect, he was not HOF material.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Martin
    2. Parker
    3. Steinbrenner
    4. Torre
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    1. Torre - Above average player, Hall of Fame manager and an outstanding resume after retirement. A baseball man through and through. I would be shocked if he wasn't inducted.
    2. George Steinbrenner - Like him, hate him, he changed the game and created the greatest franchise in modern baseball history.
    3. Cox
    4. Martin

I don't believe the Hall is ready for Marvin Miller.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I've said it before, but I think LaRussa, Cox, and Torre all get in. Hard to think of 3 managers who've had a bigger impact on the game over the last 25-50 years. All Legends. All belong.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Tommy John should be in the Hall just for the UCL surgery. Seriously.
  • Options

<< <i>1. Torre - Above average player >>

By my count, the Veteran's Committee in its various forms has selected 50 20th century hitters for the Hall-of-Fame. Torre was clearly better than a large majority. As a hitter, only Home Run Baker, Sam Crawford, Larry Doby, Johnny Mize and Arky Vaughan had higher OPS+. And that's while playing more games at catcher than any other position.

As a player, Torre was not merely above average. Before he ever managed a single game he was well above the Hall-of-Fame standards set by the Veteran's Committee
  • Options
    This cannot possibly be a list that includes players on the 2014 ballot.
  • Options
    Four Slam Dunks:
    Torre
    Cox
    LaRussa
    Miller

Steinbrenner. NO! The Yankees flourished in the years after his two suspension's. See illegal political contributions and Howie Spiria! Stick Michael built the Yankees. George just interfered and held the Yankees back. He belongs like Jerry Jones belongs in Pro Football Hall of Fame!

George started the Yes Network, put him in the Trump HOF!

Craig