Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gar Travis has passed away

I just received news that Gar Travis has passed away after bravely battling a long-term illness.

He passed away this AM (November 22).

It was my honor to have been his friend for over 20 years. His wit, even through the battling of his illness, was refreshing. Everything I liked about Gar was, and that is why I think we got along so well.

My condolences to his family, other close friends, and those in the numismatic community.

Sadly written,

Greg Heim

Comments

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. I do not think that I knew him. Was he a forum member?
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    Sorry to hear this. He said his good bye's just a few months ago Gar Travis
    He did not expect to go so soon.

He went by oldmoney1959 here. Only had two posts
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    Gar worked for Teletrade, and was an excellent non-numismatic photographer as well.
  • ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is sad news. RIP Gar. You will be missed.

I'm not sure everyone knew Gar's background and passions - apart from coins, he was a professional photographer. After he moved to California he would go to air shows all over this area (sometimes driving 6-8 hours) so he could take these amazing photos of classic planes from yesteryear. He would also attend other types of events like the Renaissance Faire in Southern California (where he was their official photographer). A lot of people (myself included) think they can take photos, but he had a gift. His photos were amazing. Here is a link to his personal website showing his photography.

GarPhoto.com

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    We are losing too many numismatists lately, and now Gar is gone. I remember when Gar was cataloging for Teletrade, that he would sit among boxes and stacks of coins, but would always make time for a chat about coins, history or photography -- whatever topic one wanted to discuss. When I worked for BM (now Stacks/Bowers), Gar knew that I loved toned coins, and he would always stop by to show me a cool toner that he was cataloging. He did this just to share something about coins he knew I enjoyed. That was the kind of guy he was. He will be greatly missed.

RIP Gar.

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Great loss (missed the November post). Gar helped me at Teletrade with a bad coin that I had bought. Turned a bad experience into a plus.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a remarkable photo website.
    He certainly was a gifted photographer.
    My condolences go out to Gar's friends and associates.
    R.I.P.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file