Home Sports Talk
Options

Suitors a problem for Cano?

yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
So, who can afford Cano that needs a second baseman?

Mets: Will not go into another 100 million + contract
Tigers: Once considered Cano but traded for Kinsler. No need for Cano now.
Rangers: I think they have such high hopes on Profar that they will be willing to save the money and and be happy with their young second basemen.
Red Sox: Pedroia is locked in for many years.
Angels: In deep with Pujols and Hamilton contracts

Who else is going to dish out? Anyone besides the Yankees?

I think Yankees are willing to make him rich but they also know that there may be no one else willing to dish out the bucks. They may get a "decent deal" on Cano.

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    And he's represented by an inexperienced agent that's attempting to get the biggest contract in MLB history. $30MM/Year for a non-marque player? Good luck with that.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Who is playing 2nd for the Dodgers? I don't think they have anybody locked up there.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And he's represented by an inexperienced agent that's attempting to get the biggest contract in MLB history. $30MM/Year for a non-marque player? Good luck with that. >>

Agreed. Would love to see him in an Orioles uni, but no way they even give him a decent deal, let alone an insane one.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<$30MM/Year for a non-marque player? >>>

Cano isn't a marquee player? He's one of the biggest names in the game. Not that it means anything, but he's captained the AL HR Derby team 2 years in a row, so MLB must feel he has star power.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<<$30MM/Year for a non-marque player? >>>

Cano isn't a marquee player? He's one of the biggest names in the game. Not that it means anything, but he's captained the AL HR Derby team 2 years in a row, so MLB must feel he has star power. >>

One of the biggest? When they came into town last year, advertising didn't mention his name for the series. It was Rivera, Jeter, Pettitte, and Alex; not even a passing reference to Cano. I suppose it could be different perspective down here since it was our first year in the AL.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<<$30MM/Year for a non-marque player? >>>

Cano isn't a marquee player? He's one of the biggest names in the game. Not that it means anything, but he's captained the AL HR Derby team 2 years in a row, so MLB must feel he has star power. >>

I don't think of him as a star in the A-rod, Jeter, Pujols mold. Not even close. Great player but not marquee.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    He'll wind up in Seattle for $23.5 million per year

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>He'll wind up in Seattle for $23.5 million per year

image >>

Seattle infield is already set.

Cano is going to get 25 mill a year, either from NY Yankees, Dodgers or Texas.
  • Options
    <<<When they came into town last year, advertising didn't mention his name for the series. It was Rivera, Jeter, Pettitte, and Alex; not even a passing reference to Cano. >>>

Rivera and Jeter are beyond marquee, they are in another stratosphere. ARod is a lightning rod, so of course they'd throw his name out there to draw out the haters. Pettitte was a former Astro, so that only makes sense.

When I think of what the marquee team in MLB will look like in 2014 (and as much as most of us hate to admit it, the Yankees are the crown jewel), with Jeter hobbling around (when playing at all) I think of it as Robinson Cano's team now. Now, he's not worth $300M (nobody is), but he's still worthy of being one of the highest paid players in the game, IMO.
  • Options
    I for the life of me can't see how he has more value than Pedroia at 15-m year.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I for the life of me can't see how he has more value than Pedroia at 15-m year. >>

Contacts are not about value, they are about what what a player can get.
  • Options

<< <i>I for the life of me can't see how he has more value than Pedroia at 15-m year. >>

Why can't you?

"Since the start of 2010, Robbie leads full-timers at the position with 23.5 WAR. Pedroia is a distant second at 18.4 WAR.

Absolutely nothing in baseball pays like power, especially in this suddenly power-starved era. Homers drive up prices exponentially, and Cano happens to hit a lot of them for a second baseman, especially compared to Pedroia. In fact, Cano has hit exactly as many homers this year as Pedroia has hit over the last two years (21). Pedroia’s career homer total (96) is as many as Cano has hit since July 2010. Power pays and Robbie has an enormous advantage in that department. There’s no comparison here, Cano blows his Red Sox counterpart out of the water.

A hamstring injury cost Cano about five weeks back in June 2006, but otherwise he’s been an iron man for the Bombers. He’s played in at least 159 games (!) in each of the last six years (!!!), and his days off usually come from Joe Girardi getting him off his feet rather than some nagging day-to-day injury. Robbie is one of baseball’s most durable players, no doubt about it.

Pedroia, on the other hand, has played in just 476 of 588 possible games since the start of 2010. Two separate left foot fractures sidelined him for 85 total games in 2010, and a nagging thumb issue sent him to the sidelines for a total of three walks in 2012. Heck, he’s playing through a torn thumb ligament right now. Pedroia has only once played as many 159 games in a season whereas Cano does it year after year. Another advantage for Robbie."

• Options
    1985fan, I think Edmund's point is that although Cano is undoubtedly the better player, he'd rather have Pedroia at 15M than Cano at 25M. I tend to agree with him.
  • Options
    Way more power and more durability to me makes the additional money a great investment.