Home Sports Talk
Options

Tigers trade Prince Fielder!?!?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
Prince Fielder was traded to the Texas Rangers for Ian Kinsler!

WTF!!!

Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Christmas has come early in Detroit! I'm not a Fielder hater and I think he got way too much blame for the Tigers' playoff woes, but nobody on the planet is worth the money he originally signed for with the Tigers.

I still can't believe this.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Miggy back to first!!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    God bless the Texas Rangers!!
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    I think this is a great thing for the tigers now maybe we can keep max for awhile it should save us about 70 million..
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    this Rangers fan is happy about the trade. Maven gave it a thumbs up as well

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I think its a decent move for both teams.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Dave D is a genius.He is not done yet.I have a gut feeling Boris is giving Scherzer the green light to reup with the Tigers and so this gives them money for that and a Miggy extentsion and whatever.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    time to stock up on Profar..........that little dude can RIP!
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<I have a gut feeling Boris is giving Scherzer the green light to reup with the Tigers>>>

Boras NEVER gives the green light for players to re-up before they can hit free agency (not that it is really his call anyway, since he works FOR the player).

His advice is to always get to free agency, and players know that when they sign with him. Jered Weaver is the only Boras client in recent memory that re-upped during his arbitration years, and Boras was not happy.
  • Options
    Prince Fielder - Next Mo Vaughn. All that weight, Texas heat, older, he is going to break down.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>time to stock up on Profar..........that little dude can RIP! >>

What makes you say that? He hasn't shown himself to be anything above "pretty good" as a hitter at any level.

I saw Profar play probably 35 times during his pro debut season with Spokane. He was very obviously major league ready defensively but was way behind the curve offensively (an assessment shared by the scouts I talked to* at the time). He will obviously continue to improve, being only 20 years old, but I just don't see him being a star offensively in the majors.

* - one of the great perks of the location of my season tickets for Spokane Indians games is that scouts sit in our area all the time. They are generally pretty nice and will talk to you and share their feelings on players. One guy in particular, from the Oakland A's, was unbelievably nice. He & I talked for the entire game about all aspects of player development, player ratings, the way the game is played, you name it.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

What makes you say that? He hasn't shown himself to be anything above "pretty good" as a hitter at any level.

I saw Profar play probably 35 times during his pro debut season with Spokane. He was very obviously major league ready defensively but was way behind the curve offensively (an assessment shared by the scouts I talked to* at the time). He will obviously continue to improve, being only 20 years old, but I just don't see him being a star offensively in the majors.

* - one of the great perks of the location of my season tickets for Spokane Indians games is that scouts sit in our area all the time. They are generally pretty nice and will talk to you and share their feelings on players. One guy in particular, from the Oakland A's, was unbelievably nice. He & I talked for the entire game about all aspects of player development, player ratings, the way the game is played, you name it. >>

I second that. I hope the Rangers package Profar up and send him on his way in exchange for a proven pitcher. Dude hasn't impressed me the last couple of years at all

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

* - one of the great perks of the location of my season tickets for Spokane Indians games is that scouts sit in our area all the time. They are generally pretty nice and will talk to you and share their feelings on players. One guy in particular, from the Oakland A's, was unbelievably nice. He & I talked for the entire game about all aspects of player development, player ratings, the way the game is played, you name it. >>

He was very obviously major league ready defensively but was way behind the curve offensively (an assessment shared by the scouts I talked to* at the time).

wait, so a "scout" said a guy who was never "behind the curve" offensively at any level was indeed behind the curve? I'm going to assume he meant that his glove was ahead of his bat which is normal for any middle infielder not named Javier Baez. Otherwise you probably don't see him too much anymore as if he actually said that, he's probably now selling life insurance at a Liberty Mutual branch in Anytown, Nebraska. It would be pretty difficult to be behind the curve when he was always among the youngest players at his respective level. He was 17 in low A ball at Spokane when he was the youngest or second youngest positional player in post rookie ball. At 18 he was rolling up a near .900 OPS (.207 isolated slugging) in High A in the neutral to slightly pitcher friendly environs of the Sally League. And during his entire MiLB run, save for his sojourn as a rushed (common for the Rangers) child in Spokane, he's posted close to even K/BB rates. I'm not saying he's going to be an impact bat, or even a star, his floor is probably Erick Aybar, while his ceiling may be something of a Alan Trammell type in that he's going to do everything really well (save for maybe stealing bags), but not necessarily have one 70-80 grade tool that stands out to the average fan.

This is the minor league average

take his fellow top SS prospect at the time in Manny Machado at the same age and level (High A, Sally League)

Machado - .276/.376/.483
    Profar - .286/.390/.493

and then the same career trajectory at AA at the same age

Machado - .266/.352/.438
    Profar - .281/.368/.452

and pretty much equal AAA numbers to his AA triple slash which is a always a classic identifier to one's ability to make the necessary adjustments climbing the organizational ladder.
    Profar - .278/.370..438

you could make a litany of random various MI comps. For example, take Cano's minor league track record

Cano - .278/.331/.425 with nearly a 2:1 K/BB rate
    Profar -.276/.367/.449

not saying Profar is going to transform into Cano, as while they're both 6'0, Cano has about 35-40 LBs on Profar at this point. If Profar can put on the desired muscle/weight, I like his chances to become a first division player. Outside of his lack of raw speed, there's not much to dislike.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a player in Spokane, Profar didn't make contact the way really good hitters do. He frequently looked lost at the plate and struggled a lot. None of that is surprising - he was only 17 - but he was a below-average hitter for the level he was at. Not below-average for a 17-year old making his pro debut but below average compared to most guys on that level. He absolutely has improved and will continue to do so. He's going to be a nice pro for a long, long time. I just don't see him becoming the guy that so many people think he'll be - that is, a superstar. And I know the general feeling is that he regressed last year. Again, not at all surprising for a guy who's 20 and getting his first real look at major league pitching. We'll see in 2014 - will he make a big jump similar to what Miguel Cabrera did from age 20 to 21? We'll see.

I will say this - it was all kinds of fun getting to see Profar play at that early of an age. You could see the raw physical skills just bursting out of the kid. Defensively, he was just ridiculous - head and shoulders above every other infielder in the Northwest League and ahead of just about every guy I can ever remember seeing at that level. Major-league ready defensively from day one as a pro - at shortstop. I can't imagine that's been said about too many guys who are 17 years old image