Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Pawn Stars episode with Byzantine gold coin, Constantine IX

Coins on Television, continued:

The History Channel program "Pawn Stars" episode "Cold Hard Cash", first broadcast on
November 14, 2013, featured a Byzantine gold coin.

The host, Rick Harrison, bought the coin from the seller for $1100.

David Vagi of NGC Ancients identified the emperor as Constantine IX, AD 1033-1055,
and told Rick it was worth $700 to $1000.

Rick thought it was worth more because it was gold and 1000 years old.

Screenprints of the coin:

The closest one I can find on Wildwinds is SB 1829,
Constantine IX, 1042-1055, AV Histamenon Nomisma, Constantinople.
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/byz/constantine_IX/t.html

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I still love that show after all the time its been on. I'll have to look for that episode.

Rick could do the audience a favor and talk for a moment about how important it is to handle coins correctly. It looks like he is pinching the coin with his fat thumb on the surface.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Worldcoinguy: I agree. Something simple like that can be a quick painless piece of education for any latent coin collecting folks out there.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He buys enough coins that you would have thought he could have spent five minutes googlering on the internets to have known better.

I wish he had his book expert on more - she is kinda cute.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Chum has the hots for Rebecca-the-book-lady.

I saw one episode where a guy brought in a Goetz...IIRC he had some details wrong on that (Rick needs a Coin expert to trot out too, anyone in Vegas??) but was not too far off. He also had some slabbed salvage coins come in, he paid more than I guessed, but the guy does know what will sell and apparently he does well with that stuff.

The Old Man has a love affair with silver that I can appreciate, and one episode had his penny stash featured.

Can you tell I love that show? Sometimes as a collector I cringe at the prices, but the reality is they are running a shop and no matter how cool an item is, if it will sell it's good. If it won't, too bad. It's a different thought process.

Cathy

• Options

<< <i>He buys enough coins that you would have thought he could have spent five minutes googlering on the internets to have known better.

I wish he had his book expert on more - she is kinda cute. >>

I agree, and I agree.image

I saw this episode and he just seemed to throw aside all caution on this purchase. I figured it was just for the show because otherwise his decision makes no sense.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Episode link

Coin scene around 13:30