Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Is an everyman complete U.S. coin set possible?

Hi, I'm a rookie who has been debating making this a lifetime journey. What are the major hurdles? Are there coins no one can afford? I thought I read only one complete set was ever finished. Thanks I really look foward to any knowlege and tips you all can give me.

Jason

Comments

• Options
    That depends of course on the type of coins you want to collect. If your goal is to undertake a sample of every business strike coin the US Treasury minted you will need some really really deep pockets. No collector thus far has completed more than a few collections of different type coins by one collector themselves. I would suggest to find a series and do your homework & research what it will take and then decide if its a challenge you want to start with the goal of 100% achievement. There are some super-sets on the registry but as of now PCGS has not created one of those for a Everyman super-set collection. Contact the registry and ask what steps are needed for something like this started. MWH
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Doing registry sets is a bit like running or lifting weights. You don't want to run 26.2 miles your first time out, nor do you want to commit yourself to something so grand right out of the gate. Start with a simpler Registry Set that you can then fold in (in whole or in part) into another Registry Set so you are building "smaller" sets where you can accomplish something, and then parlay into a bigger set.

You can start out with a very basic Type set first, and start with that. You will then develop an eye for certain type of coins (for example, I am less focused on grade but more focused on specific look so if I show the set to someone, it has a similar look to it), and most importantly the market price so you a) don't go broke, and b) can sell them when the time comes.

I built a 100% complete (and retired) Registry Set of Mercury Dimes with major varieties in FB...sound simple, but when you start dropping $2k-$6k on just 10 or so coins, and then $8k-$12K for another half dozen, not to mention the dozens of $800-$2k coins, you realize a 75 coin run is battle -- of course it is not much less of an issue if you have unlimited resources.

Even an everyman kind of set, there are some coins that are key dates or downright impossible to find without problems (or just fugly) and you'll find yourself dropping some serious coin (no pun intended) on coins.

Anyhow...welcome, and good luck image
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to you Jason! Go for it. If that's your dream, than by all means do it. You only live once. My best advice is spend the minute extra little money and buy the coins already graded by PCGS. Of course PCGS is my preference! image If you have any questions, keep them coming!

Cheers,
    Jeff
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Is an everyman complete U.S. coin set possible?

Yes, it's possible, but it's going to take deep pockets. I took a look, and while you don't need ultra rarities such as an a 1933 $20 Saint Gaudens, an 1804 dollar, or an 1894-s dime, there are still a huge number of coins which are expensive even low grades. Thus, if you decide to do it, as always, I suggest you start with the key dates.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson