Home Precious Metals
Options

Fake Engelhard Prospectors Silver

vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
I picked up a few prospectors and I was searching for info on fake ones out there. Not because I don't trust the seller. I absolutely do. But, he could have unknowingly picked up fakes. I weighted mine and they're all within 0.1 grams. I wonder what will happen to the physical PM market as the Chinese producers get better at this.

Here's a great picture of a fake vs. a real. Pic taken from another forum.

References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.

Comments

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Gold and silver fakes have been around for a long time ...as long money itself.

There are fake Rolex watches, fake Coach handbags, fake pretty much anything of value.

There are quite a lot of fake paper dollars as well, incredible amounts actually.

thats just life, technology might get better and an investor needs to adapt as well.

Buy certified gold coins, buy bars that come with assay cards or special packaging, but from reputable sellers and avoid "too good to be true deals"

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake Engelhard 1984 "Prospectors" are offered continuously on ebay. I've grown tired of reporting them as ebay often does nothing.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy certified gold coins, buy bars that come with assay cards or special packaging, but from reputable sellers and avoid "too good to be true deals" >>

Buy certified gold coins, buy bars that come with assay cards or special packaging

Unfortunately that ali place has nice fakes already slabbed (I saw NGC) and in 'original' appearing packaging too. I haven't seen any 90% fakes on there...yet.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, we should avoid any Engelhard Prospector rounds where he is panning for gold using a pizza pan?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    So, we should avoid any Engelhard Prospector rounds where he is panning for gold using a pizza pan?

LMAO! Yes, avoid them.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>So, we should avoid any Engelhard Prospector rounds where he is panning for gold using a pizza pan? >>

That and if it looks like the prospector is standing in spaghetti instead of mud.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    That and if it looks like the prospector is standing in spaghetti instead of mud.

I said lmao earlier, but all joking aside, thanks for bringing this to light. This is what we need to more of as collectors as the sellers of fakes (whether it being knowingly or not) peddle this crap.
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't that have the inscription "the chinese prospector" image

I guess in a perfect world

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

<< <i>That and if it looks like the prospector is standing in spaghetti instead of mud.

I said lmao earlier, but all joking aside, thanks for bringing this to light. This is what we need to more of as collectors as the sellers of fakes (whether it being knowingly or not) peddle this crap. >>

I ordered a sampler of these fake bars from Alibaba. ETA on them is around 70 days. I plan on posting pictures and measurements just so we all have a reference. If we can raise awareness in this forum, we can reduce the risk of buying/selling fakes from/to one another.
  • Options
    This seller has to know these are fakes, right?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This seller has to know these are fakes, right? >>

Engelgard didn't make a proof coin, did they?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Engelgard didn't make a proof coin, did they? >>

Engelhard did produce proof silver Prospectors but they are quite scarce. They show up on ebay infrequently and are snapped up by the knowledgable.

Prospectors made for Everest outwear are proofs and feature an image of Mt. Everest instead of the illustration of the streamside prospector. Other special runs like the Prospector commemorating Engelhard's Mid-Georgia Expansion Project are proofs as well. Examples of proofs can be seen at allengelhard.com.

Canadian Prospectors (below) are proofs.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

the obverse pic is a real EP, the reverse pic is a fake EP...

vpr & derryb, both your ?'s have been answered here numerous times, as well as with pics,
    should be an easy find with search function...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    At what price point will the fakes become more valuable than the silver counterpart. I think I'll buy some fakes as an investment hedge since PM value is sinking.
    COA