Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What's up with these new "import fees" on Ebay?

Seems to be related to the Ebay global shipping program. I keep seeing items in the USA with "import fees" being added on. Even on tax-free items such as .999 fine bullion.

2x 20oz bars with a $76+ import fee being added for shipping to Canada
http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay is becoming quite the tool of governments for tax collection and enforcement of what you can and cannot buy - ie look for Cuban coins, N. Korea etc, and customs fee collection would not surprise me.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    As far as I know coins and bullion and not eligible for this global shipping program nonsense. So it doesn't make sense.

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems to be related to the Ebay global shipping program. I keep seeing items in the USA with "import fees" being added on. Even on tax-free items such as .999 fine bullion.

2x 20oz bars with a $76+ import fee being added for shipping to Canada >>

So the Government of Canada is now automatically (via eBay) collecting (requiring the Canadian buyer) their import duties at the point of sale? Of course, the auction item will still be held in Customs for an extra 3-4 weeks. image

Oh yeah, where do you get $76? You link says $181.66

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh yeah, where do you get $76? You link says $181.66 >>

Odd. When I view the page on my desktop, it shows $76.75. When I view it on my phone it says $181.66. I am logged into my Ebay account (with Alberta shipping address) on my desktop, so maybe that is why the amount is less?
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    It is happening everywhere it seems. I just had a box of books delivered from the US to the UK via the eBay global shipping program which had a tax element despite there being no VAT or import duties on books in the UK. It's not good when big brother tries to apply a set of rules, as he frequently doesn't know what they are. We also have a local (UK) problem with VAT on coin imports being charged at 20%, when the correct rate is 5%. Again, they don't know the rules they set.
  • I paid $5 "GST" on an australian book from australia that cost $20 to ship...
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
    The USA doesn't have a GST - that must be some internal Australian thing - like Canada, they have PST(Provincial Sales Tax) and GST(Goods and Services Tax - the Federal tax) on most items. The PST/GST coupled with the miserable exchange rate have stopped us from going to Canada for nearly a decade now.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a coin from Canada and this is what the tracking says:

2013/11/01 06:30 USJFKA,USA Item has arrived in foreign country
    06:00 USJFKA, International shipment has arrived in a foreign country
    2013/10/31 07:34 MISSISSAUGA International item has left Canada
    2013/10/30 22:58 MISSISSAUGA Item processed
    14:45 COLLINGWOOD Item accepted at the Post Office

Can someone tell me what is going on?

I also sold a coin to a Canadian and it has been sitting in Jamaica, NY since Oct. 27th.
    We USAsians need to fear those dangerous Canucks with hockey pucks.
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is entirely a FEEbay doing to collect $$$ into their coffers, another FEEbay scam.
    there is NO duty into Canada on Canadian currency. there is GST of 5% and the GOV in some cases also collects HST instead if the respective province subscribes to the HST.
    I had communication with a seller in California and he had NO idea that this was on his listing.
    fact is, into Canada, everyone can do their own import clearing ( by law)
    if you do use a broker, such broker must be licensed by the Federal Government, and must have the importers written power of attorney on file to act on the importers behalf.
    Such broker must also display their Broker license.
    It is not acceptable to bury a PA agreement in the small print. It must be a document with original signatures.

Now, look at it this way:
    buyers just simply pay....
    However, if a CN 22 declaration is made, CAN customs might look at it and determine that the value declared is not worth their time and effort to make out paperwork to collect 5 or 10 bucks.
    the item is released at no import charges.
    happens every day...
    I for one will not pay these BAY-riffic charges. I will advise the seller and ask for regular shipping.
    the global shipping program is a scam..
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold an encased cent to a customer in Italy. Since it was a "coin", I didn't think it would qualify for GSP. I quoted $4 shipping and told them to do the BIN and I would send an invoice. They did the BIN and I tried to send an invoice but couldn't as it qualified. The Buyer wrote back and said I quoted $4 and the GSP said $20. I told them I would cancel the transaction and I did. I also opted out of the GSP as we don't need unhappy customers over excessive charges. By the way, the "coin" was $8.