Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

20 Kurush Weight Concern Images Added

I recently purchased a 20 Kurush coin of the Ottoman Empire. AH 1327/9. Respected vendor. Grade is AU, with which I would agree.
Considering what goes on these days, I am somewhat neurotic about authenticity. My concern is that the coin should weigh about 24.05 grams. My Kern scale, which weighs coins only to the first decimal, shows the coin to weigh 24.2 grams. Everything else appears to be fine. Do I have an actual issue here?

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a genuine cleaned example of the type. I can't imagine there not being a tolerance concerning the weights of any denomination. I'll see if I can find one lying around and weigh it to compare.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your response. I am guessing that my scale's one decimal place reading could place the coin's actual weight at about 24.15. A .1 gram variance may not be a whole lot in the scheme of things. As for the cleaning, that appears probable. I note that more and more vendors seem to take cleaning for granted. It has become relatively difficult to find original surfaces outside of slabbed examples. Fortunate for me, I guess, is that much of what I collect is for exemplar purposes. This item, for instance, was obtained for the purpose of showing a coin that a kid's great grandfather may have handled.

DPOTD
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My pictures didn't come out very well. I'll try again tomorrow. Mine weighs about 23.9 grams and has been harshly cleaned. Only 1 decimal place on my scale also. Not exactly what I thought. The reeded edge is not real sharp in many places. The more I look at it, the less I like it. What does the edge look like on yours?

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My coin has minor points of concern, somewhat offset by the reliability of the vendor. The reeded edge is so-so; not the quality you would see on a modern day reeded edge, but not distorted as you might see on a fraudulent coin, either. Without seeing "certified" genuine examples, I cannot say yea or nay. The edge did not concern me, too much.
    Despite what my images appear to show, I do not think those scratch marks are due to cleaning. Under a 10x loupe, the coin surface appears to be in very good shape and the strike reasonably sharp.

DPOTD