Home Precious Metals
Options

Coin dealer selling specific gravity kit for up to 100 oz'er

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have not used this device, but it seems to work,

link

And, FWIW, I have doubts about testing two different items at the same time, as he did with the two Maria Theresa Thalers. However, the 100 oz'er came out almost perfect.

I have no commercial interest in this product.

TD
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything he did is correct. He weighed the 2nd coin and tested it by difference, which is fine. It's a completely valid setup and the results are correct. I used to be an analytical chemist, and this is correct.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link to item: Link

Price is: $439.95

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Cool set up. Seems like this is becoming more a necessity than ever before. I have no connection to the product or sales effort, but I do know the seller. He is local to me and is one of the good guys.
    Andrew
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea and I'm glad it's getting out there. Nice!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May look into getting one !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    I have been chatting with the dealer who is selling these about some of the details as to how it works, and it does seem to be the real thing.

If it catches two bad 10 ounce silver bars it has paid for itself.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am thinking about getting one as well.

Being able to check items at or about an ounce - like the Maria Theresa Thalers - if a big selling point for me. I have loads of small ingot to test.
  • Options
    Because it is a bit time consuming to set up the wet weight apparatus, it occurs to me that if you had a large number of items to test, just get a second, simple digital scale to take your dry weight on for each piece first, and then use this gizmo to take the wet weights.

I think I shall suggest it to the manufacturer.

TD