Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

White Whale's ?

Happy, Happy, Happy, After a dozen years, I have finally finished my 12 Caesars in Gold..
Surprisingly, the stopper was Otho 69AD only in office a few months..
Now I look forward to getting some nice pictures take of the set,
This is all I can do for now...

I know there are other Happy stories out there,

Show us your "WHITE WHALE" :-)
Support your local Coin Shop
LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice set, congratulations.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap! That's a nice set.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    WOW, I look forward to seeing some closeups.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Stunning set, wow!!!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic set!

For me, while there are still a number of tough coins that I need to finish my set, I was lucky to get the "white whale" early on. It was the 1814/3-HJ 8 Reales of Ferdinand VII. Acquiring this coin makes it actually possible to complete the Ferdinand VII Draped Bust (1811-1821) set. I have been hunting it for a number of years without any success. No past auction records I could work with, none of the specialized Mexico dealers have seen one surface in over a decade. So when I saw one come up as part of 2011 Jose Leunda sale, I knew it was coming home with me. Haven't seen another example surface since.
  • Options
    holy moses that is amazing
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coins, and we definitely need some closeups! Here's my white whale, purchased very recently but just arrived yesterday. It's my most expensive coin and required the sale of a number of my US coins, but with absolutely zero regrets. This is a coin I have been trying to acquire for many years and I finally found a solid example from this specific variety.

The Colosseum Sestertius (Flavian Amphitheatre)

This coin was minted by Titus to commemorate the completion of the Colosseum and was handed out by him to the first ever attendees at the first games held there. It is one of six available to private collectors, and about a dozen are impounded permanently in museum collections. This is the only surviving contemporary depiction of the Colosseum in any medium as it stood when first built. Despite being excessively rare, it is listed in most books about the Colosseum/Rome/gladiators. The obverse die continued to be used after the death of Titus but the legends were changed - the later coins are more common than this original type but don't carry the historic weight I was looking for.

Shown on the left is the huge, conical fountain named the Meta Sudans and on the right, the famous Baths of Titus. You can see tiers of spectators within and a central arch which represents the Imperial Box, all shown from a bird's-eye view, with small statues in each of the outer-facing arches. The reverse is of Titus on a curule chair, sitting on top of the globe, bringing peace with an olive branch by being victorious over their enemies (shown as captured arms). The Colosseum side is rendered in quite high relief. My pictures aren't perfect but it is simply stunning how the engraver was able to depict the massive structure.

Let me know if you have any questions!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    I had tickets for the 7th row seats A thru D... Oh wait, that was for Wrestlemania 3 at the silver dome....

Congrats on a totally wonderful piece of ancient history... It's a keeper :-)
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Heck of a thread!

SmallTownCoins - congrats on the set. The pic with all 12 together is something to behold. It would ultra cool to have a forum member crop and mock up a family portrait of all of them together wouldn't it? If I had the photoshop skills I wouldn't mind doing it myself.

SmEagle1795 - Awesome piece. Stories and background like that make this forum simply addictive.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Roman gold coins make a nice collection.

No doubt that we are wondering what the reverses look like.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    I just spent a 1/2 hour trying to shoot the reverses, with my camera, no luck, sorry
    I will try to get some better pic's in the near future..
    Thanks for the nice comments above, it's really fun to finish a long project like this..

Need more pic's folks, That Titus above it absolutely killer :-)
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice !

can we see some closeups please?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>Fantastic coins, and we definitely need some closeups! Here's my white whale, purchased very recently but just arrived yesterday. It's my most expensive coin and required the sale of a number of my US coins, but with absolutely zero regrets. This is a coin I have been trying to acquire for many years and I finally found a solid example from this specific variety.

The Colosseum Sestertius (Flavian Amphitheatre)

This coin was minted by Titus to commemorate the completion of the Colosseum and was handed out by him to the first ever attendees at the first games held there. It is one of six available to private collectors, and about a dozen are impounded permanently in museum collections. This is the only surviving contemporary depiction of the Colosseum in any medium as it stood when first built. Despite being excessively rare, it is listed in most books about the Colosseum/Rome/gladiators. The obverse die continued to be used after the death of Titus but the legends were changed - the later coins are more common than this original type but don't carry the historic weight I was looking for.

Shown on the left is the huge, conical fountain named the Meta Sudans and on the right, the famous Baths of Titus. You can see tiers of spectators within and a central arch which represents the Imperial Box, all shown from a bird's-eye view, with small statues in each of the outer-facing arches. The reverse is of Titus on a curule chair, sitting on top of the globe, bringing peace with an olive branch by being victorious over their enemies (shown as captured arms). The Colosseum side is rendered in quite high relief. My pictures aren't perfect but it is simply stunning how the engraver was able to depict the massive structure.

Let me know if you have any questions! >>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

we're not worthy!
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=