Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Regarding Variety Registry Sets

When viewing all of the individual, unique sets in ranked order in a given variety set registry, can PCGS add a statistic that displays the completed percentage of coins that are actual varieties? In the lincoln registry sets, for example, there is a column that shows the percentage an individual set has that are Red coins. I think it would be useful to have another column beside it that shows the percentage of variety coins.

I ask this, because I see a lot of times where sets that are listed in these complete variety registries that do not have any varieties, and those sets rank well above those that do. So, to parse out the real variety collectors from those that are not, I would find this useful.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    That is a very good idea IMHOimage
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if the varieties were just weighted more accurately, you would find out that those with Variety cents would be ahead over those who are just listing MS cents.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also agree that the weighting could be done differently to better reward the varieties in the set. Perhaps you keep the weighting of the non-variety coins the same as the regular set just to make it easy on the Set Registry folks... then just add a 2x or 3x multiplier to the current weighting of the varieties so that they are the focus of these sets?

• Options
    The easiest solution would be to simply add a new registry set that includes only varieties and not regulars. That way people who have a problem looking at the regulars can look at the variety sets only. Those of us that don't mind looking at both, can look at the complete set that combines regulars and varieties.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Have to agree with all the comments and wish our HOST would start a Variety Set For EACH Series. I put alot of time and effort in locating and paying for these coins and like others I am disappointed that there are those who have NO Varieties and yet they put there sets in the Variety Registry Set. I also believe the point system is outdated, I found a 1943 s Goiter VG-08 Now none of the 10 graded have come to auction since 2010 and they gave me 28 points and said the coin is worth 12 bucks. The Top 3 or 4 do not even have 1 Example and that to me shows the Rariety of this coin. Great thread and Hopefully someone from pcgs reads this..............Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with all of the above. And would also like to see it changed where when you add a coin(s) and check auto insert....that the system would NOT put varieties in regular slots!

PLEASE PCGS!
  • Options
    I agree I think PCGS should update the Varity sets

Maybe give the varieties a little respect

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/OtherSets.aspx?m=28569My little Indian Cents Sets
    life's too short gotta live it long!
  • Options
    copperhuntercopperhunter Posts: 925 ✭✭✭
    Very nice IHC variety set Scott!! I have always been fond of the two major varieties: 1867/67 and 1894/94 RPDs. Someday I hope to include them as part of my variety type collection....
  • Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    Price guide prices are way off, I looked a 50c 64FBL up the other day and it was worth more than the 64FBL RPM...in other words if they can't get these simple things right, I don't think much effort is going to be put into fixing these registry issues, unfortunately its the ugly truth IMO
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I never thought this was an issue. Some of the varieties are tough to find, but with some effort they can be found. When I retired my set it was 100 percent, and I was the only complete Mercury variety set complete at that time. Some of my coins were circulated which is what I needed to do to reach my 100% completion. I would agree that the weights are off on the varieties, but that will be a tough one to figure out. Some of the varieties seem to be easy to find, while others are almost impossible. The CPG states 1939 DDO are easy to find, yet they are very difficult. The 1936-S FS-110 (die gouges make it look like an under date, but it is die gouges) are actually not as difficult to locate, as one my think. I had at least 3 unc coins and 6 circulated FS-110 (the range of the gouges is interesting when you see so many of them).

The bottom line is just like everything else. The person with the fattest wallet wins. I was able to beat that rule because completion of the set. It is difficult, but you need every variety to make it The Complete Variety Set.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    but you need every variety to make it The Complete Variety Set.

....And for Lincoln Cents, there are at least two that are included that have no examples graded, yet others that are not listed in the CPG that have prominent RPDs (1958-D RPM #1, 1970 S/S RPM #2, 1955 D/D RPM #2 just to name a few) that are not included. So go figure on some of these....
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but you need every variety to make it The Complete Variety Set.

....And for Lincoln Cents, there are at least two that are included that have no examples graded, yet others that are not listed in the CPG that have prominent RPDs (1958-D RPM #1, 1970 S/S RPM #2, 1955 D/D RPM #2 just to name a few) that are not included. So go figure on some of these.... >>

Chris, That is tough. You may have to find those missing ones and submit yourself. I have numerous 1st ones graded to make my set. It is difficult, but possible.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only need 2 more coins to complete my set and have spent over 500 searching for the 1962 Proof Quarter DDO(all have been Strike Doubling) and I now think that the coin does NOT Exist, Sad thing is pcgs shows it has graded one and I cannot find the owner or the number or any info on the coin and others think that it is the MS Version that got in a proof holder that has disappeared. Than we go to the 1957 d Quarter with Engraved Tail Feathers. I know that a few Experts have searched for 10 years for one example and None have been found. The Person who submitted his for a picture in CPG has Passed away and that coin has disappeared and no real photo showing me the WHOLE coin. I guess in each series we all have those coins.........and I am not giving up yet...........But I would like to see just a Variety set in each series without the regular coins............Enjoy tom
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    When was last time anyone cherrypicked a 1958 DDO Lincoln cent? There are only 3 examples graded at PCGS, and they start out at $100K. Not really a fair coin to include in any variety set. Same with a 1964 SMS, maybe not valued as much as 1958, but why is it in the business strike Lincoln variety set and not in the proof variety set.
  • Options
    Mike-

I definitely agree that the 1958 DDO should not be part of the MAJOR Variety Sets. If there are 3, then it cannot be Major. Heck, there are even two Liberty Nickel, Circulation Sets - one with 1913 and one without.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Tom, you've been looking for that '62 for what seems like forever, and whenever you DO find a possible example, it's always a let down, and I agree with you, by now, it doesn't really exist, it can't. I think the 'mechanical error' theory is really what happened.

As for the registry as a whole, judging by the plethora of threads in THIS, the Registry Set forum, where it USED to be VERY busy, is this an indication that the registry, in general, whether here or ATS, has lost it's flavor??? I mean, only 7 threads TOTAL? It used to look like the U.S. Coin forum when you came here. The first page used be FULL of threads with that days date as the last post of the thread at the bottom of the page. What happened??
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Now thats a thought.image
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tom, you've been looking for that '62 for what seems like forever, and whenever you DO find a possible example, it's always a let down, and I agree with you, by now, it doesn't really exist, it can't. I think the 'mechanical error' theory is really what happened.

As for the registry as a whole, judging by the plethora of threads in THIS, the Registry Set forum, where it USED to be VERY busy, is this an indication that the registry, in general, whether here or ATS, has lost it's flavor??? I mean, only 7 threads TOTAL? It used to look like the U.S. Coin forum when you came here. The first page used be FULL of threads with that days date as the last post of the thread at the bottom of the page. What happened?? >>

First and most important, Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all.
    Now many of us have been here for a long time.
    I can recall coming home from work and laughing to tears over the posts on the OF. (installation of a bathroom exhaust fan-killer)
    We all know the reason as to what has happened.
    Although one must not speak of that which must not be spoken.
    I just don't post much anymore.
    WS-nice '34. Congrats.
    I agree about our lack of input for Registry Sets. There are some items too esoteric for completion.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all want to at least get to the 100 % . Whether you buy or find them yourselves, varieties are not available to anyone without those searching the rolls or cherry picking the bourse. On some varieties we pay for them because some of us have the knowledge of certain die markers, or we like searching proof sets, etc., thus making some varieties that are searched and flipped to keep the cash flow going. I took me a long while to get organized, understand the nomenclature, and genuinely interested in varieties. The problem is the shear amount of frustration I have encountered that I think is common when collecting any varieties. Let's start with the fact that everyone who has posted has had some issue getting our host to correctly I'd a coin submitted. The publications we use are severely lacking info to id the coins. I have had to document my own photo file just to supplement the resources. Then there is the issue of who what and why a variety is listed by our host. The frustration list goes on and on. I agree that by now, the true availability of each variety is better known now by all of you to the point we could put a weight factor in place that is a better representative of . That would change the standings perhaps, but I think the real frustration is the not being able to reach the 100% mark regardless of grade. Yet our host appears to have put coins in place that warrant questioning, but there is no communication that seems to work or appears to fall on a lot of deaf ears. I say we each send a note on what item we want changed in our series and get them to hear you. I did some research and was the one who got the 1955 D over horizontal D dropped. I think the next candidate is the 1943 D /D rpm 13. But I would prefer a well written and documented approach if we can narrow down a few issues to grieve our host with rather than shotgun emails. Just some food for thought.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Happy Holidays to all.