Home Precious Metals

Report of fake Englehard 10 OZers

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
A coin dealer I have known for a long time, in the west suburbs of Denver, posted this this morning:

**BEWARE** **BEWARE**

Had 4 Fake 10oz "Englehard" Bars trying to be sold in here at the end of
business yesterday. Old style with the Globe on front. No serial #, all
were less than 10oz. 9.67oz. 9.75oz, etc. Also longer and skinnier than real
bars. Just a heads up.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A coin dealer I have known for a long time, in the west suburbs of Denver, posted this this morning:

**BEWARE** **BEWARE**

Had 4 Fake 10oz "Englehard" Bars trying to be sold in here at the end of
    business yesterday. Old style with the Globe on front. No serial #, all
    were less than 10oz. 9.67oz. 9.75oz, etc. Also longer and skinnier than real
    bars. Just a heads up. >>

These have around for some time and wouldn't food most of the silver stackers here but thanks for the reminder. You can never be too careful when dealing with coins or PM's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Thanks for posting this. Good info for those who may not be aware. Perry is right, these have been out for a minute and its one of the reasons I started testing my raw metal purchases. Funny as we were just discussing a similar thing in another thread ............. I guess counterfieting is still alive and well (and thriving) !!!!
    Condor
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disgusting

At least we know that there is a difference in weight and dimentions for these counterfiets.

Stay sharp Silver stackers!

It's all about what the people want...

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that's bad for liquidity when someone wants back out of their "stacks", are we going to have to assay/authenticate each coin and bar?

that's going to slow down the market

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• << <i>Yeah that's bad for liquidity when someone wants back out of their "stacks", are we going to have to assay/authenticate each coin and bar?

that's going to slow down the market >>

Sad to think but assaying everything might just be the answer .............. Other than that "awareness" is our best defense against todays modern day fakers and fraudsters!
    Condor

• << <i>Yeah that's bad for liquidity when someone wants back out of their "stacks", are we going to have to assay/authenticate each coin and bar?

Sad to think but assaying everything might just be the answer .............. Other than that "awareness" is our best defense against todays modern day fakers and fraudsters!
    Condor
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, going into a shop just before closing is one way that pushers of counterfeits try to get victims to hurriedly buy stuff without taking the time to properly examine it.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah that's bad for liquidity when someone wants back out of their "stacks", are we going to have to assay/authenticate each coin and bar?

In a SHTF scenerio, I would only be a buyer at a massive, greater than 50% discount.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    In a SHTF scenerio, I would only be a buyer at a massive, greater than 50% discount

yeah (burp, fart) and you prolly wouldnt have any competition buying either (is this sarcastic enough to see that it's sarcastic?) which would do what to the value?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah that's bad for liquidity when someone wants back out of their "stacks", are we going to have to assay/authenticate each coin and bar?

In a SHTF scenerio, I would only be a buyer at a massive, greater than 50% discount. >>

Yea. I'm sure silver owners will line up to sell you their silver for pennies on the dollar.image
    Don't forget that in a true SHTF scenario, the only precious metals will be guns and ammo.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.