Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin-Related Things to Do in Turkey?

Does anyone have any suggestions on "must do" numismatist activities while visiting Turkey? I'm leaving on an 11 day trip next week, visiting Cappadocia, Konya and Istanbul.

I know Turkey has very strict antiquities laws that prohibit taking older coins out of the country (at least without a museum curator's certification that the coin is not culturally significant), so I think I am limited to "modern crap" if I want to purchase anything. I may try to pick up a small birth-year (1961) gold coin at the Grand Bazaar unless someone has a better idea where I could purchase one.

Are there any noteworthy museum collections that are (a) worth a detour, and (b) have any collateral appeal to a non-collector significant other?

Any input is welcomed -- thanks.
"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I ever get the chance to go to Turkey, I would do whatever I could to get to Sardis (Sart). It was where the first coins ever struck were produced, and also where purifying gold and silver was perfected.

<== My icon came from Sardis.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am doing a very similar trip in about a year's time; I will be watching and making note of any responses.

<< <i>I know Turkey has very strict antiquities laws that prohibit taking older coins out of the country (at least without a museum curator's certification that the coin is not culturally significant), so I think I am limited to "modern crap" if I want to purchase anything. >>

This is true. I would extend the "Don't buy old coins" rule to include replicas. In pretty much every tourist trap in Turkey connected to antiquity (Ephesus, Pamukkale, Aspendos, etc) you can find people hawking fake coins. Rows and rows of tables of coins, every single one fake. Selling genuine ancient coins is illegal or tightly controlled, but selling fakes is perfectly OK. However, unless you get your fake coins certified as fake by a museum expert before you leave, you could still run into problems with Turkish Customs if they find them, since they might not be able to tell they're fake. You really don't want to be serving time in a Turkish prison for trying to smuggle fake antiquities out of the country.

Incidentally, I'm told that if you go to the fake sellers and point out that their coins are fake, many of them will give you a sly knowing look and reach under the table for a bowl of much more authentic-looking coins. These, too, will be fake, just higher quality fakes. Anyone with actual genuine ancient coins who wants to get top dollar for them knows better than to try to sell them to tourists.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I visited Istanbul in April of 2012 and did not find any coin dealers.

There were some shops in the Grand Bazaar selling modern gold bullion coins,
    and a couple of places selling jewelry made from recent Turkish small coins.

The big archaelogy museum in Istanbul (near the Hagia Sophia) had a collection of coins
    from ancient Rome to modern Turkey.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all. The Istanbul Archaeology Museum will be on our tourist stop list even if I don't mention the coins, and I think I'll see a few pre-Byzantine items up the Bosphorus at the Sadberk Hanim Museum in Sariyer. Other than that it might be a limited coin experience (but a heck of a trip). Maybe on a future visit some other locations, including Sardis, may be possible....
  • Options
    There was a recent report of a tourist detained that had a replica of an Arabian script document. It didn't matter that it had a 1980's copywrite notice.
  • Options
    Reason to be cautious in bringing such items out of the country I guess. I know that U.S. Customs and airport security staff are not always consistent (or correct) in applying their own rules and regulations, mistakes are made all over. I am more interested in looking than buying on this trip anyway (except for that birthyear Monnaie de Luxe piece).
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a nice rug instead....but beware the prices. They will try to gouge you.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What year are you looking for? I need a few Turkish gold pieces myself. They are hard to find.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recalled a post by WillieBoyd2 a while ago and just located it for you Bailathacl.

Enjoy your trip!

A visit to where my Constantinople Byzantine coin was made
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What year are you looking for? I need a few Turkish gold pieces myself. They are hard to find. >>

Not that hard if they are after 1923. The hard ones in unc are the Ottoman liras. Heritage sold two such coins, graded 64, but the first was a scratched XF and the second wasn't as promising as its grade suggested. I'm partial to late 19th century Ottoman crowns, (especially some that have been minted at Heaton), but the best place to get these in decent prices and not overgraded, was ,is and will be the US coin shows. I'd suggest to just look at ancient and Byzantine pieces, and if you have to buy something, better be a memento of your trip ,such as your birthyear mint set. Coins of practically every country, are far more expensive in their country of origin.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out my sig line....there is a really nice large copper turkish piece in there. My "world travels set" is probably going no where given my obsession with Swiss....I would sell the Turkish piece if you were serious about getting a nice cool piece.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    I went to Istanbul (and later Izmir and Ephesus/Selcuk) in 2009 and had a great time, although I didn't find any coin shops aside from three coin and paper money dealers in the Grand Bazaar. These sold both world stuff and Turkish coins from the last six sultans onward (these are legal to export, as opposed to the ancient, medieval and early modern coins of the region). Price varied from good to pretty high, so you may find some good material there - counterfeits didn't seem to be too much of a problem in these specialized booths. If you do buy coins I would steer clear of anything hammered and stick with machine struck pieces, even from outside Turkey, just to prevent problems at the Airport, as the baggage inspectors may have trouble telling what is ancient and from Turkey and what is from say early modern Russia or India. When I visited I bought some EF and AU Turkish and Egyptian pieces from the late 1800s and early 1900s.

If you are in Istanbul for a few days I would certainly see Hagia Sophia, the Justinianic Cisterns, the Theodosian Wals, and the Istanbul Archaeology Museum. As much as I love coins, the Archaeology Museum has pieces of sculpture and antiquities that surpass any coins in its collection - particularly the sarcophagus and statue collection. My friends and I spent about four hours there and only saw about half the collection despite feeling rushed. Also, try to avoid the tourist restaurants if possible - one of my friends was out for most of day after eating at one, but had no problems when we ate at the less-touristy local places.
  • Options
    I'll be on the lookout for a gold coin in my birth year of 1961 but will probably stop short of anything more than that. However, thanks for reposting the Willie Boyd report, I'll definitely detour to the Theodosian walls to check out that site. I know I'll run out of time before I do everything I want to do. Lastly, Dmitri's insight on avoiding buying coins in the same country makes supply-demand sense to me. I'll enjoy the architecture and history and food and save my coin spending for my return.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What year are you looking for? I need a few Turkish gold pieces myself. They are hard to find. >>

Not that hard if they are after 1923. The hard ones in unc are the Ottoman liras. Heritage sold two such coins, graded 64, but the first was a scratched XF and the second wasn't as promising as its grade suggested. I'm partial to late 19th century Ottoman crowns, (especially some that have been minted at Heaton), but the best place to get these in decent prices and not overgraded, was ,is and will be the US coin shows. I'd suggest to just look at ancient and Byzantine pieces, and if you have to buy something, better be a memento of your trip ,such as your birthyear mint set. Coins of practically every country, are far more expensive in their country of origin. >>

I have been looking for a lot of years for a few post 1923 gold coins and they rarely or never show up. I have been outbid twice because I thought they might be worth a little more than catalog. I came in second at double Krause. I would be very pleased to know where they can be found.