Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NEWPS: cheap Tiberius and Claudius

I did exactly what I said I wasn't going to do and just fill holes for the sake of filling holes in my Twelve Caesars set, but the price was right imo($100 for the pair) and I like them, they don't look bad

I also recently made up these nice looking coin labels, much better than my crappy handwriting, the translations I found here: http://www.mimala.nl/micoi/-05th/otherz/db-rm-cn-leg-gen'l.html, they may not be perfect but I'm happy with them

Tiberius "tribute penny"
imageimage
imageimage

Claudius
imageimage
imageimage
=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $100 for both? #@%(& where? Lol. You scored on those. The tiberius has some issues but its still all there and nice for a slot filler. Ive seen worse for $100. The claudius is very nice and even though that type is common, its in good shape and would go close to $100 itself too.
  • really? I thought the Claudius was maybe a $40 coin in this grade, the Tiberius I really wasn't sure, they all looked like ass to me up to like $200 as far as how nice the portrait was and how readable the legends were, that said I wasn't sure how much it hurt this one to have those black areas, I think the portrait and legends are great though, on the obverse at least
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see much uglier, nearly worn smooth claudius go in the $20s/$30s.

Tiberius/tribute pennies are always in demand. Ive NEVER seen a tribute penny in $50. Not even christmas morning on ebay when no one bids, lol.

I collect on a $300 a month budget with only a few being blown over it, so I look for deals when I can.

I just dont attend local shows much, not even long beach. Last few I went too was all high priced stuff and the bargain ancients were junk I didnt want. Constantines and later :/
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you did well image I like that kind of patina on ancient bronze.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic deal.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that Claudius.
    I like your labels too.

• nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Ugh, I am super jealous. You picked up two nice pieces at a show for $100, you should be pretty happy. I feel that you made out especially for a coin show purchase at that price. I have a hard time not just picking up pieces for hole fillers even if I know that the coin is not exactly what I want. My budget is similar to yours and it kind of sucks having to either wait for months at a time for a coin in budget and attractive or just purchase a transition piece. I will say that I received a tetradrachm from my gf for my birthday recently of Nero from Alexandria and I was quite surprised at how nice it was and after asking a few carefully worded questions, feel comfortable that she did not get ripped off.

• << <i>I will say that I received a tetradrachm from my gf for my birthday recently of Nero from Alexandria and I was quite surprised at how nice it was and after asking a few carefully worded questions, feel comfortable that she did not get ripped off. >>

If it's the one with alexandria in the elephant skin headdress I have one of those as well for my Nero and think it's awesome

and she sounds like a keeper!
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is the one with the elephant skin headdress. She also sits with me at coin show and goes through bargain boxes, AND found me an Augustus bronze. So yes I'm keeping her.