Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looking Back On 1999 SP and SPX Football Prices

I remember when these came out how hot the RC's were. Was checking beckett from Nov 2000 and its amazing to see some of the prices.

Heres some examples reported by beckett

Shaun King SPX BGS 9 sold for $965 (on ebay recently a SPX PSA 10 sold for $36)

Donavan Mcnabb SP BGS 9.5 sold for $1,625 (A PSA 10 recenty got 1 bid for $100 - surprised it got even that much now)

Daunte Culpepper SPX PSA 10 Sold for $2949 (recently on ebay a raw version got 0 bids for $19.99)

Edgerrin James was the hottest - The SP raw at its peak (dont remember exactly) but might have booked at $650 or even higher - now its yours for around $10

Ricky Williams..Cade McNown....Akili Smith..all big cards Tory Holt...David Boston..Jevon Kearse..Kevin Johnson...pretty good as well

And Tim Couch SP/SPX was booking $300/$550 ungraded and SP PSA 9 $500 (a 9 would prob go for about $5 now)

Anyway was having fun looking back on this. Its staggering if you think about what these sets once were

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh. David Boston and Cade McNown. Love it!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Modern football rookie prices often have a short life span. Unless the guy turns out to be a complete beast and a first ballot lock for the HOF, there's little chance that the prices realized in the first year or so after release will ever be seen again.
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Heh. David Boston and Cade McNown. Love it! >>

I guess you never thought you would be reading a thread with their names in it haha

I wonder if any will make the HOF - I would think Holt, Bailey, McNabb, and Edgerrin had the best careers
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Hmm. Edgerrin may be undervalued. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • Options
    thats the future for most of these rookie cards out the last two years too

one day day it will be names like Bryce Harper , Puig, etc ,etc
  • Options

<< <i>Modern football rookie prices often have a short life span. Unless the guy turns out to be a complete beast and a first ballot lock for the HOF, there's little chance that the prices realized in the first year or so after release will ever be seen again. >>

Exactly. All cards of hot players reach their peak in their "primes". Careers almost always fall off as do the prices of their rookie cards. Happens in all sports. I remember selling tons of 1990 UD Juan Gonzalez for $8 a card and a week later they were selling for $20. For $20 now, you could get a 500 count brick.
  • Options
    i agree..its just this set stands out to me that there were so many big time prospects in one set and the drop in price is gigantic. were talking hundreds or thousands on some cards not like $10 or $20
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Demetri young said in SMR that collectors were paying $10,000 for 1985 Topps McGwire RC's in PSA 10. image
    I remember selling them raw for $300+ in the shop I work at in 1998 but 10k... Wow! Modern is a roller coaster.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Modern is a roller coaster. >>

Heh. You should check out the prices on some T206 freaks and printing scraps.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a raw SPx David Boston at a show this year for $5.
    Should be a must-have card for Ohio St. fans, so there are limits as to how far it can fall.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    My wife bought me (at the time) one of only three BGS Gem Mint Tim Couch SP Authentic rookies for a wedding gift.

Of course, I still own it. I am a die hard UK football fan.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Beckett is still relavent?? lol.... I remember when Beckett bought all the cases of ..what was it.. early 90 opc baseball or something like that, drove it through the roof value wise in his price guide and then dumped it in the market place. This story on SPX is just another in a long list of epic stories on Beckett. Once the 80's had hit there was a mass explosion of companies and products all trying to make a buck. Some of you probably don't even remember POG events. And if you have to ask.... I love it when someone gets burned on these 1/1 cards. It's laughable. Better hope that Puig doesn't get the Steve Sax Syndrome with his arm or bat. Remember when Sax couldn't throw to first base his 2nd year..the whole season????
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edgerrin is probably the most likely to get in, but he may have to wait a few years. Jerome Bettis still hasn't been voted in, but should be next year.

I don't think Holt or McNabb get in. Holt never had a huge TD season which is what seperates WRs. There are 4 guys ahead of him that have more yards and still haven't been voted in. McNabb is on the border but there are 5 guys with more yards that won't get in and he didn't throw enough TDs. He is classic case where a Super Bowl win would have sealed the deal.

Too bad the SPX product, which is one of the best looking RCs ever, didn't have the top rookie QB in 1999......Kurt Warner.
    Mike
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    An Edgerrin James Contenders Rookie Ticket Auto Gold #1/25 just sold on eBay for less than $100. I cannot imagine what that card would have brought back then. 1998-99 was a nice storm of events leading to some monster modern sales. You had the birth of the signed rookie card in 1998 Contenders, card grading was catching on with modern and creating even more value to an already desirable card, and eBay was emerging with card collectors giving unprecedented access to cards you would otherwise probably never see (now you could bid on that Edgerrin right after his 150+ yd 3 TD game instead of hoping to someday find one of his rare rookies). Add to the fact that you had some huge superstars bursting onto the scene with Randy Moss and Peyton Manning in 1998, all of those mentioned in 1999 plus Warners fantastic story and 1/2 a rookie card in pacific as his only card at the time of his breakout, Vince Carter and Jason Williams taking the NBA by storm, and still many people jumping back into collecting after getting caught up in the Mac Sosa HR chase.
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    A PSA 10 1999 SP Authentic Jevon Kearse just went for $129 BIN. A few months ago one ended somewhere around $200 at auction.

• Options
    A great lesson on when to sell if you are a football card speculator. It's NOT after their careers are over.
  • Options
    That is amazing info there.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised how cheap the Edgerrin James auto RCs are. He is #11 on the all time rushing list and I don't see anyone close to passing him (maybe AP in a 3 years).

$10 for a 1999 SPX Auto RC is such a better value than 99.9% of the auto rookies I pull from modern boxes.
    Mike
  • Options
    It is pretty amazing to me that the Edge dropped to that extent
  • Options
    I would say Bailey has the best shot at the Hall with James 2nd, Holt 3rd. McNabb is borderline.

I've been building this set on the Registry for some time. If anyone sees and 10's for sale that I need, PM me.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A great lesson on when to sell if you are a football card speculator. It's NOT after their careers are over. >>

For the most part I agree. The only exception would be if the player makes it to the hof. Within the first few weeks of when they get the nod, prices go nutso. I dumped all my Marshall Faulk Bgs 9.5's and Psa 10 rc's when he made it and made a killing.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My wife bought me (at the time) one of only three BGS Gem Mint Tim Couch SP Authentic rookies for a wedding gift.

Of course, I still own it. I am a die hard UK football fan. >>

UK football, you mean like EPL Man.United, Arsenal, etc.? image j/k of course