Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

SNEAK PEEK RAINBOW TONED MORGAN DATE SET UP FOR SALE SOON

Hi all you toned coin lovers,

This is a project I have been working on for over 3 years, a 32 piece obverse rainbow toned Morgan dollar date set which will be up for sale/auction within 30 days. This is a set built for presentation purposes with safe, long-term storage in mind; it's new owner will be able to open a felt-lined solid hardwood box and find the following inside:
- velour slip-case that protects a Capital Plastics holder
- color hard-bound book containing images of all coins
- overall grade of the set is about MS63, the '93 is AU58, the '94-O is AU55, the '95-O is a PQ XF45 and are the only three circulated pieces.
- there are a few NGC STAR coins, though I am convinced that at least 1/3 of the coins would garner a STAR had they been graded by NGC instead of PCGS or ANACS.

Everything has been designed as a cohesive whole. I designed the spacing, layout and overall size of the holder in CAD and had Capital Plastics make it for me. It is white with gold lettering and it is one of a kind. It slides into a beautiful blue velour slip case that I had Dazian Fabrics in CA custom make. I then had a beautiful hardwood box custom made to house the whole thing. The box is hand made with about 40 hours of labor in it and it shows, it features beefy life-time hinges and solid brass hardware. It is dark mahogany with maple inlay work, and has the words "in God we trust" in the Morgan font hand-engraved onto the cover of the box. The book is at the printer, and the set will be assembled in it's new holder over the next couple of weeks. About 7 of the 32 coins are uncertified, but they are quite up to par. I have scoured prominent toned coin dealer showcases, and bid the sky on many of the coins in various auction formats. Perhaps some of you will recognize one or two of them that got away. It was me. There are beautiful EOR end roll toners, album-toned, bag toned, and textile toned specimens. Many are double-sided but all were selected to form a more desirable toned set that is all Obverse toned. Are there any true monster coins here? Maybe one or two.

This is a set that may be expensive for some and others will think nothing of the price, I will not be giving it away that's for sure. Its one of those things that if it does not sell I will salt it away and sell later. When I put the listing up on eBay I invite all scrutiny, especially on the raw coins I have chosen to include. Thanks for taking a peek.

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful!
    Will look forward to seeing more.

peacockcoins

• Very Nice! Are you selling these here only? The Bay??image
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    As if b/s/t adds with people linking stuff theyve consigned to auction houses and dealers isnt silly enough now we are going to have people posting teaser ads about upcoming sales?

It's unfortunate that this forum doesnt have a strict set of guidelines to adhere to.
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    very nice well matched year set. Some screamers in that group. image
  • PM sent

• << <i>Very Nice! Are you selling these here only? The Bay??image >>

Thanks! I acquired a couple of coins from a dealer who has a client that may be interested, I will offer him first but will place on eBay as plan B.

<< <i>As if b/s/t adds with people linking stuff theyve consigned to auction houses and dealers isnt silly enough now we are going to have people posting teaser ads about upcoming sales?

It's unfortunate that this forum doesnt have a strict set of guidelines to adhere to. >>

Sorry you find this silly... yes it is a teaser of sorts, but I have a lot riding in this set and was looking for some constructive feedback from some of the most adept collectors around, and I am getting it from some.

<< <i>very nice well matched year set. Some screamers in that group. image >>

Thanks, take a look at this link and you can see the coins in hi-res: (these will be printed in a hard-bound book and also placed on CD for inclusion in the set)
    Rainbow Toned Morgan Dollar Date Set
  • vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    Please consider breaking this set up and selling the coins individually. I understand compiling this collection and the prepared presentation case might have been a labor of love, but I suspect you will not get maximum value, and the buyer (assuming they are a collector) would likely just keep what they want and sell off the rest anyways. I know I see a few coins I would pay well for, but it would not really be worth the time and effort for me to buy all of them, and then sell off those coins that I did not care for. Just my $.02. Good luck either way, and please let us know what venue you intend to sell this through.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Great set! I've owned/sold a least a couple of those at some time.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Please consider breaking this set up and selling the coins individually. I understand compiling this collection and the prepared presentation case might have been a labor of love, but I suspect you will not get maximum value, and the buyer (assuming they are a collector) would likely just keep what they want and sell off the rest anyways. I know I see a few coins I would pay well for, but it would not really be worth the time and effort for me to buy all of them, and then sell off those coins that I did not care for. Just my $.02. Good luck either way, and please let us know what venue you intend to sell this through. >>

Agreed 100%.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    It is obvious from the wooden case, hardcover book, CD, custom made Capital holder etc that the OP has NO intent of breaking this set up.
    That seems pretty clear.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more