Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My collection of my childhood favorite player, Jim Sundberg, picked up 4 different 10's today for ab

When I was a youngster, my favorite modern player was Jim Sundberg. Sunny was a defensive prodigy, a six time gold glove winner, but because of his hitting, he doesn't seem to get a whole lot of props. He was always a good community citizen as well, and I respected that as well. I don't have a huge Sundberg collection, but I pick up things every now and then. Always looking for Sundberg game used Rangers stuff as well. There's a neat game used 76 bat that has been on Ebay forever, but i'm not paying that kind of coin for that.

Here's one of my cooler pieces, as it was a gift from board member thekid8, back in 2009.

Here's a pic of me, Maven and Sunny from the 2012 season, we've both aged some since the 70's image

Here's my signed cards of Sunny

Here's my graded cards (also have 77 OPC PSA 9 and 85 Topps PSA 10 but can't find the scans right now):

1974 Venezuelan

1975 Topps

1975 Topps Mini

1976 Topps

1978 Topps

1979 Topps

1979 O Pee Chee

1980 Topps

1981 Topps

1981 O Pee Chee

1981 Fleer

1982 Topps

1982 Fleer

1982 O Pee Chee

1983 Topps

1983 Fleer

1983 Kellogg's

1984 Topps

1984 Donruss

1984 Topps Traded (mislabeled as a 1985)

1984 Fleer Update

1986 Topps

1987 Topps

I've got a bunch of Rangers team signed stuff with Sundberg including OAL baseballs, and bats, and photos as well

Mike

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    So great mike. The Ludwig of rangers catchers

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice Mike ... enjoy them!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    What's up with the 79 cards as a kid I always confused him with ryno
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    One of the things I really like about these boards , is the different sports interest that folks share . Mike , I love your focus and determination in what you collect .

Thanks for posting and keep them coming .----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to beat that 84D pose -- great stuff.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Great collection image
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I wrote to Sundberg this summer as I'm building a collection of every Brewers first card, and trying to get them signed. Sundberg got back to me right away and signed my Topps Traded card.

I didn't know he had that many gold gloves till just now though!
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff!
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Cool I always like threads like this. I think we all have players like this in are past.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Just updated the first post with my PSA graded Sundberg collection.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Under Rated catcher in my opinion; Great collection

good job Mike!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Has he had any cards come out after he was done playing?
  • Options
    Added this one tonight. It's oriented all wrong in the holder, once I get it in I'll have to bang it around a bit to see if I can get it oriented correctly.

1976 Hostess

• Options
    Picked this one up last night from board member TSalem

1977 O Pee Chee Jim Sundberg PSA 10

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the 77 OPC!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a nice homage Mike.
    Mike
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Looks like another thread I missed during my work sabbatical. Awesome Sundberg collection Mike and congrats on the recent pickups!!!

I really like the collage that Mike put together for you. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    WOW... I really enjoyed viewing all of the Sundburg cards. I especially enjoyed seeing the '84 Donruss (such a cooll shot) and the Venezuelan Sticker (never seen this one before). I think it's so neat to collect an individual player that you admired growing up. Makes the collection even better in my view.

Thanks so much for allowing us to view.
    Collect Brooks Robinson and unique O's items
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    Great collection!! Congrats on your most recent pickup.
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Beautiful card image
  • Options
    Picked this one up tonight. Real nice Topps Tiffany.

1986 Topps Tiffany Jim Sundberg PSA 10

• Options
    Added this one last night.

1985 Fleer Update Jim Sundberg PSA 10 (pop 1)

• Options
    Finally finished year 1 of law school Wednesday night, so I was finally able to get back out to the ballpark with my daughter Maven. Took her to her first game of the year tonight, and we also had tickets to a fundraiser dinner put on by Matthew McConaughey and look at who we bumped into while we were there image I spied him and Maven volunteered to take my pic with him but I thought it would mean more to me in the future to have her in the pic instead.

Yes, we both have pics with McConaughey as well, but they used their camera for that one and will be mailing those to us. Fun night. Was a joy to be back out at the park doing what we love to do together. For those of you that are fairly new to the board, Maven is a great kid and is my running buddy, we do everything together and used to regularly post stuff here, but I started law school last August and that has severely cut into my free time (also work full time) so now I especially cherish when we get to do stuff like this.

Maven and Sunny May 16, 2014

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pic, Mike! Nice to see you back at the park!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Great thread Mike! I'm taking my kids to their first Angel's game in Anaheim this summer and can't wait to get some great photos of them at the ball park!

Brian
    I have no collecting direction. I just buy stuff!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME Mike! Im sure Maven LOVED being with her dad at the game!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Well, I swore I wasn't going to pay a ridiculous amount for any of my Sundberg cards, but got tired of being outbid on these. Snagged this one a few nights back. Nothing like paying a couple hundred for a 5 cent card, LOL. His "rookie" card.

Have added a few misc. Sunny's in PSA 10 over the last 8 months as well. Will update pics in thread probably Spring Break or after finals in May.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that it is the definition of a true PSA 10! Very nice!!!!
  • Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Nice cards of a true gentlemen. I will never forget Harry Caray returning to the announcers booth in 1987 after recovering from a stroke and having to announce for a team that had a Sandberg, a Sanderson, and a Sundberg. "Sunny-Jim Sundberg"
  • Options
    Always awesome to see a player collector add a PSA 10 RC! Congrats!
  • Options
    Making sellers happy this week image

Added 76

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    How have I missed this thread for so long? Great collection, Mike!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Great additions the 75 has to be photoshopped
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Mike,

Those are absolutely gorgeous cards. Keep us updated.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    Great collection Mike. I wish that more members here started their own player collection threads.

Marc
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Great additions, Mike!

And to agree with you, yes you have lost your mind - you're a Rangers fan after all. image

Justin
  • Options
    Had a nice day on ebay today. Added 4 more Sunny PSA 10's for about $21.00 delivered total. That is what a Sundberg card is supposed to cost image

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! Glad you snagged some deals tonight. Always nice to add some 10's for less than the cost of grading.
    Steve
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I will assume you've seen this photo or even own it signed but thought of you when I saw it. 1984 ASG.

• Options

<< <i>I will assume you've seen this photo or even own it signed but thought of you when I saw it. 1984 ASG.

image >>

Actually, I haven't but thats neat. A good collection of talent right there. That's one year before Sunny finally won a World Series with Kansas City.

Too bad the Rangers could never get it done.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Phil and Donnie like the feel of their pants pockets.