Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

New scanner test

After 12 years I finally bought a new scanner. Do these scans look like the results you guys are getting with your new scanners? I have not played with any of the settings yet. I just plugged it in and clicked scan. My first 3 test scans are below. Any opinions good or bad are appreciated.

Comments

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Scans look pretty nice.

I would try the scans again with the cover open. It will give you better contrast and in general you will see the card better.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Looks good!

I tape a black piece of paper to the top of my scanner for a dark backgroud

or like Donato said, keep the cover open
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Scans are nice and sharp. I would lower the contrast just a little as it looks a little washed out. Doug
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cover open in a dimly lit room makes them really pop. Looks sharp though.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    Excellent, sharp scans. Yep, keep that top up for the black background to make em pop. What scanner did you purchase?
  • I bought the V370. I was looking for the V300 because I saw it mentioned here a lot but I found out it was discontinued and replaced with the V330. After looking for the V330 I found out that one was discontinued as well and replaced with the V370. One thing that is nice is that they just updated the software two months ago. Compared to my old scanner this one is amazing. It scans immediately after turning it on. It is very quiet and scans so quickly. I can do 5 scans for every one with my old scanner. I don't know what the factory settings are but it even crops the slab for me. It was just under $100 with tax.
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for starting the thread, Yogi. A few people have suggested scanning with the cover up. Have you tried that to see the difference?

I can recommend a unit *not* to buy if you want to scan graded cards: the HP Officejet Pro 8600 all-in-one. My HP PSC 750 recently gave out, and I naively assumed that a new HP product would perform at least as well. The reviews I read for the 8600 were all good, too. But check out the difference in scans between my 10-year-old unit and my new one.

HP PSC 750:

HP Officejet Pro 8600:

The leaving-the-cover-up trick doesn't work as well with the 8600, either. I took both scans above with the cover up.

On the positive side, the 8600 produces the crummy scans very quickly!

• Most all-in-one products have a CIS scanning element. What you want is CCD. CIS cannot focus on items that are not pressed onto the glass. If a card is in a slab it cannot be pressed onto the glass. I have not tried scanning with the lid up because the lighting is always very different in my home office (sometimes very bright). I did get great results using a black piece of construction paper. From playing around I also found out that yellow construction paper can give certain cards a nice pop as well.

• << <i>Thanks for starting the thread, Yogi. A few people have suggested scanning with the cover up. Have you tried that to see the difference?

I can recommend a unit *not* to buy if you want to scan graded cards: the HP Officejet Pro 8600 all-in-one. My HP PSC 750 recently gave out, and I naively assumed that a new HP product would perform at least as well. The reviews I read for the 8600 were all good, too. But check out the difference in scans between my 10-year-old unit and my new one.

HP PSC 750:

HP Officejet Pro 8600:

The leaving-the-cover-up trick doesn't work as well with the 8600, either. I took both scans above with the cover up.

On the positive side, the 8600 produces the crummy scans very quickly! >>

with new hp all in ones the default resolution is only 200 you need to increase it to at 600 , to get better scans if you have not yet.

• nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion, cjaccardi. I tried a higher resolution, but I had the same problem, only bigger.
  • radmanradman Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Anyone use a digital SLR to take pics? It's much faster, but lighting is tricky.....
    Any experience/tips to share?
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the suggestion, cjaccardi. I tried a higher resolution, but I had the same problem, only bigger. >>

Yup, I bought one of these mainly as a printer for my home office but also to have a scanner for the collection. The scans are terrible compared to the ones I got with my Brother all-in-one that I have for my offices. If I could find the receipt I would probably return it but I think I am stuck with it. If you figure out any solutions (short of getting another scanner) let me know. I will do the same.

Steve
    Steve

• << <i>Thanks for the suggestion, cjaccardi. I tried a higher resolution, but I had the same problem, only bigger. >>

Maybe you are selecting the wrong output , what kind of file are you saving as?

Also going to 1200. Will bring the highest quality scan for colored photos though it goes slow
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most all-in-one products have a CIS scanning element. What you want is CCD. CIS cannot focus on items that are not pressed onto the glass. If a card is in a slab it cannot be pressed onto the glass. >>

This
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page