Home Testing Forum
Options

CATNIP

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

1894 W.P. Buchanan, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Rulau Pa-Phi7a / Wright-121, Plain Edge, 26mm Diameter, Rarity-7

Here's a rare pictorial Gay Nineties token which exonumia collectors have been totally catnip over ever since it was issued. Dr. Benjamin P. Wright in his 1898-1901 works on American Store on Business Cards already rated this then young token a Rarity-7 (Estimated 4-12 known) and valued it at $5.00 at a time when the price of gold was $18.94 an ounce. This is the 5th example I've seen in the last 8 years and only 3 are collectable as 2 have been converted into jewelery pieces. P.A. of A. on the reverse stands for Photographers Association of America. Grovercat on the obverse was Buchanan's Philadelphia cable name selected for dealing with internationale clientele for his sales of photography supplies. Now all the previous examples I've seen have been in Brass Pa-Phi-7's which are bright and proof like as the seem gilt. Doing some research Rulau only list 1 having been struck in copper which once resided in Donald Miller's collection. Although I'm not doing this token it's do justice photography wise it definitely photographs like copper straight on. When tilted into a light source fully proof-like and has copper like patina in the shades of blanketing the entire reverse in shades of blue, green, and red. The obverse is semi proof-like and has shaded or red and blue. Lots more research to be done on this and I may have to send it off to member messydesk so he can make the color pop and represent this token for the in hand beauty it really is... Enjoy!

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!