Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Upper Deck PSA 10 Complete Set

Here is an offer for all 800 cards complete, each in a PSA 10 holder.

1989 UD PSA 10 Complete Set

Comments

• Anyone know what it is worth?
  • 40k??? I wonder what type if offers he's getting can't be anywhere in that neighborhood
  • cant imagine it is worth the grading fees.
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    I'd say maybe $7500.

Its impressive but bottom line none of these cards has any real potential value.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    That is pretty crazy, x800 PSA 10s, quite the feat.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is pretty crazy, x800 PSA 10s, quite the feat. >>

Agreed. There are several tough ones in the set.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    That is a fantastic set and I am sure a lot of work went into it. However, I couldn't personally justify the approximate $50.00 per card asking price. In my view, there is a lot of this product still out there and the quality control was very good. I would not be a buyer at any price personally as I just don't have the attachment to this set (I actually hate it in many respects as the $1.00 per pack price tag was outrageous at the time and it ushered in the era of ultra expensive packs; but I digress). Regardless of my sole personal views, I hope the seller does well and gets a price he or she believes is fair.

Matt
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Wow-- that's a blast from the past. I don't think Stump has posted on these boards in six or seven years. I still remember when he finished that set; it was quite the feat.

I agree that $40K is silly. If he could get $7K for it I think he'd be doing really well.
  • I agree that this set helped usher in the new glossy card look and right out the gate high priced pack era. Some collectors view it as a landmark set. Ill admit it has a place in the hobbies history but I'm with you Matt I never really liked it much.
  • this was a game changer set, but the supply and quality of the stock paper would turn me off to paying any where near that price.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more than his asking. While there's not much star rookie power outside of Griff and Johnson this set still meant a lot to a lot of people....including many in this forum I'm sure. And to gather them all in PSA 10? That's quite a difficult, costly, time-consuming feat.

To be honest I'd absolutely love to have it. But I'm not willing to sell either of my kidneys or other body parts on the black market to get it.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more than his asking. While there's not much star rookie power outside of Griff and Johnson this set still meant a lot to a lot of people....including many in this forum I'm sure. And to gather them all in PSA 10? That's quite a difficult, costly, time-consuming feat.

To be honest I'd absolutely love to have it. But I'm not willing to sell either of my kidneys or other body parts on the black market to get it. >>

You think it will sell for more then 40k?
  • No way it goes for more than 40k I can't see any argument that could justify that price tag. The simple fact that this set was over produced and still has a huge amount of unopened out in the marketplace trumps the sentimental factor of the set
    PSA 10 completed listings

There are PSA 10's selling for just a few bucks. I think there is little chance this set will sell for more then 10k and that might be a little high.

The grading fees would be $4,800 and you might be able to get a discount on a large sub of them. Most of these cards sell for pennies on the dollar raw so I just can't see a huge premium on them graded with the quantity that exist.

• << <i>

<< <i>I wouldn't be surprised if he gets more than his asking. While there's not much star rookie power outside of Griff and Johnson this set still meant a lot to a lot of people....including many in this forum I'm sure. And to gather them all in PSA 10? That's quite a difficult, costly, time-consuming feat.

To be honest I'd absolutely love to have it. But I'm not willing to sell either of my kidneys or other body parts on the black market to get it. >>

You think it will sell for more then 40k? >>

Obviously it won't here because he's got it at that for a BIN. I'm just saying there are some deep pockets out there right now and some cards seem to be going for very high prices lately. If I HAD to guess I would say that no, he won't get the 40k. But he's going to get an insane amount for it that most of us (including myself) will think is ridiculous. I think whatever he sells it at will be much closer to the current asking price of 40K than it will 5K.

• vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No way it goes for more than 40k I can't see any argument that could justify that price tag. The simple fact that this set was over produced and still has a huge amount of unopened out in the marketplace trumps the sentimental factor of the set >>

So you are saying you do not see Griffeys hitting $30k?

<< <i>

<< <i>

Obviously it won't here because he's got it at that for a BIN. I'm just saying there are some deep pockets out there right now and some cards seem to be going for very high prices lately. If I HAD to guess I would say that no, he won't get the 40k. But he's going to get an insane amount for it that most of us (including myself) will think is ridiculous. I think whatever he sells it at will be much closer to the current asking price of 40K than it will 5K. >>

The star cards from the set have populations that range from 1728 to 2682 in a PSA 10. Sure there are cards in the set that have low populations but lets face it if there was more demand for graded singles more cards would be graded and have those figures explode. I don't doubt someone would want a full run of Gem Mint cards but it is not selling for even close to 40k is my call. I think 10k tops.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Obviously it won't here because he's got it at that for a BIN. I'm just saying there are some deep pockets out there right now and some cards seem to be going for very high prices lately. If I HAD to guess I would say that no, he won't get the 40k. But he's going to get an insane amount for it that most of us (including myself) will think is ridiculous. I think whatever he sells it at will be much closer to the current asking price of 40K than it will 5K. >>

The star cards from the set have populations that range from 1728 to 2682 in a PSA 10. Sure there are cards in the set that have low populations but lets face it if there was more demand for graded singles more cards would be graded and have those figures explode. I don't doubt someone would want a full run of Gem Mint cards but it is not selling for even close to 40k is my call. I think 10k tops. >>

I'm curiously watching, that's for sure. I'm guessing 25K. I'm smelling a contest brewing here......
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    As has been noted, this set was indeed a game changer, but I would have to think that (a) the limited collectibility of the cards in general, and (b) the incredible supply of unopened that is still out there is going to turn off a huge payday on this. In addition, this far into the game, I'd have to think anyone who really wants this set in 10 would already be there.

I can't see it going for much more than 10k. Not that it's an indictment on the work that surely went into the set, just the overall lack of demand for this set that I see being the barrier.
  • I'm saying I agree with the poster that said he'd be surprised if its worth the grading fees. A cool project, yeah I can see that. Worth a nice graded Mantle rookie..........I'd say not.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran it through VCP and came out with an average value just short of $10k. To be fair, there are some (maybe 50 or so) that have no VCP sales history in PSA 10. I couldn't imagine that would bring the set up to even $20k though. Stump's a good guy and I hope he gets his ask for this set.
  • This set was put together a long time ago. Before the 4SC era.

The seller probably barely breaks even at the 40K BIN price.

And I'd agree it's not worth the grading fees, but I think there's a buyer out there at ~8k.
  • The 4 biggest rookies in the set in PSA 10 can be had for about $400 total. Even if you paid an AVERAGE of $10 per card on the remaining 796 cards, which would be ridiculous, that's only about $8400 total with insured shipping.
  • I wonder if he just let them go at auction with starting bids at 99 cents if he would do better. But thats a lot of work.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure he has an 89 Score Football set in PSA 10's also. Wonder what that would go for?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • buntbunt Posts: 625
    Love it ! This guy knew he was PSA 10'ing a set of which 98% of the cards would be considered literrally worthless. Together though, a 1989 Upper Deck 800 card PSA 10 set, heck yeah - I'd demand 50k for it to shove it down the throats of all of us too.

Nice job to that gent. Compare it to player collector registry sets. There are people who go after players nobody else in the world would want, or pay nothing for. But still, those 300 cards of PSA 10 are the pursuit. Congrats to this seller and if I was a bankroll, would buy it.