Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan VAM Question??? (UPDATE in OP: My First NGC submission w/ photo's) 1878 7/8 VAM 33A

Newest EDIT 2/14/2014: Well I decided to give NGC a try on this coin because PCGS does not attribute this variety (its an R6 so why not). I did not have to pay for a CS membership because I am an ANA member, so it worked out just fine. For the record though, if PCGS did recognize this variety, the coin never would have left California image

How rare is an 1878 7/8 TF VAM 33-A in choice BU??? Thanks in advance image

Erik

*****EDIT 11/09/2013: here she is...paid $72 shipped off eBay (eBay Link) think I will keep her raw for a while image

imageimageimageimageimageimage

VAM 33-A via vamworld.com

NEW PHOTO'S 2/14/2014:

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how rare? = not rare

a lot in 63/64/65.

this and a lot of other vams in unc i'd pass on even at wholesale.

happy vamming ! image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    how rare? = not rare

a lot in 63/64/65.

this and a lot of other vams in unc i'd pass on even at wholesale.

happy vamming ! image
    . >>

I can't find any pops for the clashed version of VAM 33…the 33-A. so there really isn't a premium for this coin? I know PCGS will attribute the 33 but not the 33-A.

Erik
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find a PL/DMPL example and it's a huge score. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Most Clashed VAMs only carry a premium if PCGS recognizes the clash separately from the regular VAM.

ones that are not recognized separately only carry a premium to the Advanced collector and they have to be extremely rare.

An example is the 1888-o 1B Harrison Stage 0. Only collectors that want it are the ones putting together a complete Scarface 12 coin die progression set. That is only a handful of collectors that have big money to spend. BTW, only 3 Stage 0 coins have been found.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options

<< <i>Most Clashed VAMs only carry a premium if PCGS recognizes the clash separately from the regular VAM.

ones that are not recognized separately only carry a premium to the Advanced collector and they have to be extremely rare.

An example is the 1888-o 1B Harrison Stage 0. Only collectors that want it are the ones putting together a complete Scarface 12 coin die progression set. That is only a handful of collectors that have big money to spend. BTW, only 3 Stage 0 coins have been found. >>

Thanks Nick. Does PCGS add on to the list of VAM's that they recognize or has the number stayed the same?

Erik
  • Options
    They will add on. But it has to be a significant VAM that is part of the bigger lists.

They just added the 1891-CC VAM 7 Spitting Eagle because it is in the Top 100.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    Update in OP...not that it matters too much, but it's there image

Erik
  • Options
    ...new stuff in OP.

Erik
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised NGC does recognize 33A. It's a non-premium variety, not hard to find.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm surprised NGC does recognize 33A. It's a non-premium variety, not hard to find. >>

...I agree that it's a non-premium variety...there are 15 33A's attributed by NGC to date, most likely because not that many people send them in for the reason you stated. However...I am not surprised that NGC tries to do what PCGS will not. See, because they just got a new customer (I am a Diamond CU member) to send coins to them that would have never been otherwise. I mean how hard is it to grab a good loupe and scour about vamworld.com to recognize a variety that already exits??? Also, I'm pretty sure that the TPG's don't have price guide guarantees for these sorts of variety's (VAMS) anyway.

I don't trade or sell my coins so as long as I am happy...well...I'm happy image

Erik

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file