Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Finally got a Man O' War ticket stub

My rookie card collection from the non 4 major sports has really ballooned into a pretty extensive (ridiculous) collection. For the race horse portion I decided to go for the Kentucky derby ticket stub to use in place of an actual card since the options of actual cards weren't very interesting. Plus the tickets pre 1960 fit into a standard size slab so they display nicely with the rest of the collection. Man O' War isn't as famous as Secretariat but he usually considered the best of all time. He never ran in the Kentucky derby so he isn't a triple crown winner. He did win the 1920 Preakness and Belmont though. I suppose I would rather have one of those tickets but I have never seen one and not even sure they exist.... So this is the next best option in my opinion. It's also cool because Sir Barton was the first ever triple crown winner and still lost this race. Can't wait to get it slabbed.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    THAT is an awesome stub. Sir Barton is a triple crown winner himself and in addition to Man O'War's record that you mentioned, he sired triple crown winner War Admiral.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm pretty excited to finally get it. What's strange is that I have literally only seen this ticket for sale one other time 2 pop up for sale with in 2 weeks. The one I won last week and the one on eBay now. The one that's on eBay now is actually the same ticket that I saw sell about a year ago. I remember the writing on the back of the ticket. That one sold for about 800 bucks. Mine does have a glue stain on the back but I think it presents really well.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    eagles I would love to see your collection. Any thoughts of putting up picks of your "rookie" collection on photobucket or flikr?
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats pretty cool!!! I was hoping you meant the rock band Manowar though.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Awesome ticket! Thanks for sharing!

For those like me, into racing, Man O'War is certainly as famous as Secretariat, maybe not to the general public since he raced so long ago. But most racing historians including myself who have read about him would certainly rate him as one of the the, if not the greatest, race horse of all time. He was rated #1 all time in several serious attempts to great a 100 "best ever" list, including by Sports Illustrated in 1992. Racing being what it is, there is always debate. In retrospect Sir Barton likely couldn't hold Man O' War's jock strap.

MOW only lost once in 21 races, appropriately to a horse named Upset. There is some urban legends that sports writers used that race and the term "upset" whenever a heavily favored sports team lost to an underdog, but there is evidence that the term was used that way in the UK before.

MOW was also one of the greatest sires of all time. He was a stud in every sense of the word.

Sir Barton was a "maiden" (never won a race) before winning the Kentucky Derby. Then won three of the most prestigious race of the time, the Preakness, the Withers, and the Belmont. From the Derby to the Belmont was only 32 days! This will never happen again.

Gallant Fox won the three "Triple Crown" races in 1930, second horse to sweep the three races, but really wasn't until Omaha did the same in 1935 that the term Triple Crown became universally used in the racing press.

• Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Great ticket Chad! Congrats on finally adding that to your collection. I was hoping you would win it!
    Hook'em
  • Options

<< <i>eagles I would love to see your collection. Any thoughts of putting up picks of your "rookie" collection on photobucket or flikr? >>

Yeah someday I'll get around to organizing it by sport and scanning them. Right now I just have it all on spreadsheet and the cards sitting in boxes waiting to get displayed in the man room.
  • Options
    Awesome, congrats!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super ticket Chad!

I enjoy the diversity we're getting with racing and wrestling e.g.

One of the "odd ball" things I collect is sports related whiskey decanters.

Here's my Man O' War contribution:

Mike
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. The $5.00 admission fee was a hefty amount back then. However, running through a quick inflation calculator (which I cannot vouch for) only came up with about $60.00 in today's dollars. Regardless, very cool!
  • Options
    The wait is on now... I just subbed this along with a 1948 Kentucky derby (citation triple crown), 2008 breeders cup (zenyatta's first breeders cup win), a wrestlemania 1 ticket and a 1980 wwf ticket where Andre the giant defeated hulk hogan. Nothing is high grade but really excited to see them slabbed and interested to see what they put on the flip
  • Options

<< <i>Thats pretty cool!!! I was hoping you meant the rock band Manowar though. >>

I thought that too. I see those guys all the time, I'm from the same town that Joey lives in.
    .Looking for ANY National Bank notes of Skaneateles, NY
  • Options

Anyone selling an secretariat uncashed tickets or Kentucky derby ticket stubs from 1919, 1930 or 1937? Still trying to complete my collection and would love to find some of the missing pieces.

• Options

I've never seen the 1919 ticket stub for sale. 1937 is fairly common on eBay. 1930 was a little tougher but still shows up a few times a year. Good luck tracking them down.