Home Sports Talk
Options

Hot stove league time 2014 Red Sox

pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
Wo do we get rid of and who do we keep?

I say Ellsbury Salty, Hanrahan,Morales, Dempster and Carp need to go.

Keep Drew,Napoli and Gomes.

Pick up an experience catcher maybe that one from Atlanta braves.

What do you say?

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good moves so far with qualifying offers to Napoli, Drew, and Ellsbury.

Ellsbury doesn't need to go. Sox might try a JD Drew-like offer to him (5 years and $70 million) just to give it a try at their price. Anything more is a significant risk
  • Options
    Losing Ellsbury hurts but his agent is to fault for his leaving. It's all about how much money he will make for his agent.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Why didn't the Sox even make a qualifying offer to Saltalamacchia? And if an experienced catcher was needed, why not just retain Jarod? I know he had a rough postseason, but is there really that much better of an option out there to replace him? The only option out there I see is Brian McCann, but their numbers this year were eerily similar and they are just about the same age, and McCann had far fewer at bats:

Salt: .273 BA .338 OBP .466 SLG
    McCann: .256 BA .336 OBP .461 SLG

Bullpen pitching to replace the departed will be cheaper and pretty easy. Carp as a platoon outfielder didn't play a ton and seems as if Nava took his role.

<< <i>Losing Ellsbury hurts but his agent is to fault for his leaving. It's all about how much money he will make for his agent. >>

As far as this goes, I've never understood it. It's the agent's job to do what his client wants. If Ellsbury truly wanted to sign for a discount to stay in Boston, that's what he would do. But like all of us, he wants the max money he can get, especially as this will be his last long-term deal, he wants to maximize his money.
  • Options
    Salty is not worth 14 million dollars is why they did not offer him a contract.
    Ellsbury is going for the money but how much money can he spend in his lifetime?
  • Options

<< <i>Salty is not worth 14 million dollars is why they did not offer him a contract.
    Ellsbury is going for the money but how much money can he spend in his lifetime? >>

Pedroia didn't go for the money. He didn't try to rape the Red Sox, and the Sox fans love him for his dedication and commitment to the team.
    As far as I'm concerned, Pedroia will always be loved by the fans no matter which way his career turns.
  • Options
    I'm not so sure that Scott Bora$$ is ever interested in giving teams 'home-team' discounts - even if it's what the player (his client) wants.
  • Options
    That is for sure
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm not so sure that Scott Bora$$ is ever interested in giving teams 'home-team' discounts - even if it's what the player (his client) wants. >>

You honestly think that if Ellsbury wanted to sign for less in Boston, he wouldn't be doing exactly that? This is the real role of the agent, by the way, to be the 'bad guy' in negotiations. He's the one publicly pumping up his clients' values, he's the one making it look as if he's pulling the switches, when in actuality it's the player doing it. This way, the player gets to always be painted as the 'good guy'. No, Ellsbury knows this is last big deal, and he's going for max dollars. As far as the comment 'how much money do you need?', if you're talking about leaving $30 million (or more) on the table, it's easy for fans to say that, but in that position? There's no one alive who would walk away from $30 million.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<I say Ellsbury Salty, Hanrahan,Morales, Dempster and Carp need to go.

Keep Drew,Napoli and Gomes.>>>

Ellsbury doesn't need to go, but he's going to. Someone is going to vastly overpay for him.

I'd be OK retaining Salty on a 2 or 3 year, $7-$9/year deal, but someone is going to give him more than that.

Carp had a .885 OPS this past season (which may or may not have been a fluke, since career OPS is .781). I love Victorino, but I don't think we are going to get more than 130 games out of him next year. Carp is a great backup OF/1B. He should stay, IMO.

Gomes is under contract for 2014.

They are praying that somebody takes Drew off their hands to get the draft pick. With Bogaerts and Middlebrooks, that side of the infield is set.

Napoli is streaky, but he can carry a team for an 8-10 game stretch a few times a season. They should probably keep him if they don't have to overpay too much.