Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1977 OPC wax pack rip

Just opened a pack of 77 opc and pulled a beautiful, richly colored Brett. Unfortunately, the snow is likely going to saddle it with a PD if submitted. That is one frustrating part of ripping vintage wax--even when you pull a nicely centered key card, the surface demons are still out to get you, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I love those 70s OPC! Great Brett, Tim!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Nice!
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Nice work as always Tim!!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look really nice Tim.

Maybe just my screen - but that doesn't look like an egregious amount of snow?
    Mike
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should probably stop letting the cat sleep on your scanner bed.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Mike, I am hoping you are correct! Will add it to the pile of OPC cards I've pulled over the past few months, including the 74 & 77 Ryans, a real sharp 78 Murray, and a #1 74 Aaron #1 card that is OC but a great card nonetheless.

Arthur, my cats take exception to your recommendation! Actually, it's not the scanner so much as the card savers that are like a magnet to cat hairs. I use air in a can before I package them up to ship out, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    BTW, here is the '77 opc Ryan..

• Wow! Those are nice.
    Thanks, Guru! Here's the 78 OPC Murray card. Any opinions on the grade?

• jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Tim, if the centering is at least 65/35, it will be a 9 I think'
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything about that card says mint except the centering looks just a touch off. I think the eye appeal is very strong and the surface looks very clean.

I could see this going either way between an 8 and a 9. A very nice card for sure.

• aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Nice pack fresh cards Tim. Good luck!

Now stop the madness and keep them sealed.....

aconte
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Never thought I see the day where Tim would be ripping packs into the weekend! What's next? CPAMike hosting case breaks on Blowout?

Murray could get a 9, but I'll give it a conservative 8. Love the color!

Now..the Brett, wow. Bummer on the print! Great card for sure otherwise. Just tell them it was snowing in Kansas!

Justin
    Thanks again, fellas! Don't worry, Tony, I'm done for now, lol...was just trying to flesh out my November sub...one last pack I opened was a 78 Topps wax from a box I have (seal was popped on the pack) and pulled some real blazers, including a possible gem mint 10 Rupert Jones, which is a pop 1 card right now.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    That Brett looks great, along with Ryan and Murray.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Bot the 77 Brett and the 78 Murray look slightly tilted. Nice and sharp cards otherwise. I would say an 8 minimally.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tim, if the centering is at least 65/35, it will be a 9 I think >>

My experience lately is that PSA is much tougher than advertised on the centering. I've received 7's on cards that are perfect but centered right around 65/35, maybe a hair worse. Supposedly should be fine for an 8, but I never get 8's on these. I wouldn't expect a 9 these days on anything that's worse than 60/40.
    Thanks again for all the feedback and kind words. IMO the Murray should be at least an 8, but we shall see. I have also gotten 9s on 78s with similar centering, if surfaces are really nice. In me experience, the surface, even more the centering, is usually the reason for an 8 vs a 9, as long as the centering is within the parameters for the grade.

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards. I hope that if you decide to sub them that the snow is not too harshly graded.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, Guru! Here's the 78 OPC Murray card. Any opinions on the grade?

image >>

Hey Tim

If it weren't for the tilt, I would give it an OPC 9 - so I'm thinking 8. And I'm only wrong most of the time. image
    Mike
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Justin, how did you find out? It was going to be my big coming out party. image

Geesh Tim, I leave the boards for awhile and you start busting packs every other day. You have officially been banned from the unopened collectors club until you repent. And stop getting inspiration from Chris, he is a lost cause. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Just got the 1977 OPC Ryan back from PSA:

1 22381094 MINT 9 1977 O-PEE-CHEE 65 NOLAN RYAN Card

Very thrilled with the result! image

• SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    As you should be! Congrats!!
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got the 1977 OPC Ryan back from PSA:

1 22381094 MINT 9 1977 O-PEE-CHEE 65 NOLAN RYAN Card

Very thrilled with the result! image >>

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    open another pack to celebrate!
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Nice! That's a beautiful card. Such a great set - really helps that OPC set is so small. 1977 appears to me to be really tough to locate relative to 1979 and 1980. Love 1977-79 in particular. Congrats again. (Still not tempted to open mine - I'm a chicken).
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.