Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1974 Yamakatsu New Japan Pro Wrestling - Checklist

2»

Comments

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I added one more variation to the checklist(#33b Winner Stamp)
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I subbed some of the cards I need for the set, just need number 17 to finish this one but unsure if I will get it back from PSA by the end of May considering I do not own it yet and they are not plentiful.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I'm still on the lookout for #17 for you.
  • Options
    I have #17 and now have 39 of the 40 graded to complete this set. I have a lot of upgrades for my next sub as well. Looks like I will be making this one officially complete in a few months. I do have a CC voucher that I can send in #17 so it may happen a bit more soon than that! image
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    That's awesome. First complete graded and a lot of hard work by you to make it happen. Next up is the 1976 set and start working on the master sets!
  • Options
    Some new variations popped up today over in Japan. Will try and get the checklist updated once I sort through them all. Looks to be a few high-grade pieces... Although I don't think anything compared to the few PSA 9s that recently popped.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Sumo....thanks for all your efforts to educate us collectors. It is great that you are able to provide new information to the boards here.
  • Options
    Thanks for both. I'm happy to help and am glad it's beneficial. Celebrating my birthday with a business trip to FL. If I'm lucky, I'll get to see another launch and will top off a great day.
  • Options
    I've added several more cards to the master checklist (Updated #1 to Natural Background, Added #39a, #33a, #28a, #23b, #22a, #18a, #16a, #14a, 9a)
  • Options
    I added these pack fresh blazers to my master set today. Some sharp looking cards in this bunch including an uncancelled winner stamp!

• Options
    I will finally have my complete set graded by the end of the month and may have near a complete set as a spare soon. I have some pack fresh Yamakatsu cards at PSA now and I am very excited to see the grades on these ones. I am expecting some great grades and many upgrades to my set. I was fine with mid grade cards initially but it is nice to see some higher grade raw out there now.
  • Options
    It's nice to see better examples surfacing. I think the word is getting out and more and more of these are coming up for sale.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Tge winner card is very cool. I hope you guys pull an Andre winner card. Just a matter of time until one surfaces. It will be great to see if psa starts grading the color variations and winner cards. We're there winner cards in the 76 set too?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>Tge winner card is very cool. I hope you guys pull an Andre winner card. Just a matter of time until one surfaces. It will be great to see if psa starts grading the color variations and winner cards. We're there winner cards in the 76 set too? >>

Yes there are variations on the 1976 set with the winner cards as well. I do have the winner Andre card in action shot that was redeemed.
  • Options
    The way the winner cards are seeded, this is what I predict the final checklist will have as winners:

#2-7

#12-17

#22-27

#32-37

This could be due to how they sheets were laid out and how the winner stamp ink roller printed across the back. You can see they inked the back across multiple cards and not individual cards.
  • Options

<< <i>The way the winner cards are seeded, this is what I predict the final checklist will have as winners:

#2-7

#12-17

#22-27

#32-37

This could be due to how they sheets were laid out and how the winner stamp ink roller printed across the back. You can see they inked the back across multiple cards and not individual cards. >>

This is extremely enlightening.....thanks again for sharing this.
  • Options
    I am finally 100% complete as I added card number 17 to my set this morning and now can close this chapter of collecting. A special thanks to Eagles for working with PSA to have this set graded and for Sumo always enlightening all of us on the variations and the images to the cards before they were as mainstream as they are now. A special shout out to Three Putt for letting go of both Andre the Giant cards that were in a PSA 9 mint grade. I was pretty excited to be able to add a PSA 8 as my final card. My set GPA is a tick under 6 but I did send in really nice cards similar to the PSA 8 I added a few weeks ago so I am sure that my set is going to significantly improve once I receive poppage for that submission. I think I am going to complete a backup set after I get these upgrades and then see if another collector would have interest in this 40 card set with two Andre the Giant rookies and many cards of Antonio Inoki. I would be doing all the crazy work to putting together this set again. I believe I am only a few cards away from a second set. I need to go through my cards and see which numbers I need. I believe I may need around three cards for a second set. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Congratulations on a great accomplishment. Truly an amazing feat. Thanks for helping bring awareness to this set and good luck in a second set as well. I am working on the master set and hope to be able to call that complete someday.
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations on a great accomplishment. Truly an amazing feat. Thanks for helping bring awareness to this set and good luck in a second set as well. I am working on the master set and hope to be able to call that complete someday. >>

Now that PSA is recognizing the variations it is tempting to go for a master set but I should resist! I should be getting my cards back from PSA tomorrow and I will be able to add all those PSA 8s to my Yamakatsu set soon. I think with the variations they are now recognizing is causing a delay for them to be added to my base set.

• Options
    The master set keeps growing. Not sure if every card has a variation, but it could be years before we know for certain.

• Options
    I just added 28c Tiger Jeet Singh (Winner Stamp) to the checklist. It's been a while since a new card has been added to the checklist.
  • Options
    I actually just got back an 1974 inoki psa 8.5. I picked it up raw a while back because it looked really sharp to me.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Dupe post
  • Options
    What number was it Eagles?
  • Options

1974 Yamakatsu New Japan Pro Wrestling 34 Antonio Inoki.. I have to double check but I want to say it had a natural background... not 100% sure though.
  • Options
    Nice score on the Inoki. High grade examples obviously hard to come by. It seems at this point the only new cards to the master set will likely be Winner Stamp cards.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: eagles33
    I actually just got back an 1974 inoki psa 8.5. I picked it up raw a while back because it looked really sharp to me.

You have a grade that is .5 better that what I have.....

• Options
    Added 36b – Karl Gotch(Winner Stamp) to checklist
  • Options
    I submitted more cards and got probably another half point in upgrades to bring my set to around 7.7 overall. Just waiting to be able to add them to my inventory and to my sets. I also should have a second graded set that i may or may not part with depending on offers from others. PSA recognized the variations to the sets for the second time in one of my orders. I am sure they felt compelled to as I sent in many pairs of both variations so it was obvious that there were two variations to the same card.
  • Options
    Good deal. Glad to see thy are recognizing the variations. Are they recognizing the winner stamps as a third variation as well?
  • Options
    I have not sent those in for that recognition. I imagine a little explanation would be needed for that to happen.
  • Options
    I loaded my cards from my last poppage and now I am the owner of two of these sets entirely graded. I did not realize how many nice grades that I had for my primary set. I have 26 of the 40 cards in PSA 8 or higher. My second set does not have a card below a PSA 5. When I first started collecting this set most of the cards that were found were grubby and often in the PSA 4 range. It will be a challenge for me to find cards to upgrade my primary set although there could be some incremental progress with the cards that are primarily from the first ten cards in the set. Thanks for your work on checklisting this set Sumo. It was fun to finally put it together in a grade that I didn't imagine that I would eventually achieve.
  • Options
    Very impressive. Congrats on the two sets....over the years more and more of these cards have popped up in much better condition that we originally saw. Which card is going to see the first PSA 10 in this set????
  • Options
    Another checklist update on the original thread and I went in added more photos of the parallel cards right after the checklist. I'm close to having a raw master set....just need a few more base parallel cards as well as some of the winner stamp cards. I am almost certain that there are no other color variations to the checklist other than what we have currently checklisted...we'll probably just be adding a few more winner stamps to the checklist at this point. 78 different cards in this set....that is impressive indeed!