Home U.S. Coin Forum

Theodore Roosevelt Coin and Chronicles Set - Some Preliminary Info

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) another special set. I think this would have been a better commemorative this year.

2) -
    a) shouldn't it be coinS and chronicles?
    b) perhaps we'll see a faithful indian head in 90% silver?
    c) and a Teddy $1 coin pair? Or trio?
    d) and I bet we only get chronicles of St. Gaudens and not a coin with him on it. That is another commem. or perhaps the commem. that should have been made.

3) I can find no PR on the usmint.gov web site.

Celebrating 80 years since we made the coins that were not monetized so they aren't coins!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another example of the Mint's marketing department having their heads up their tails.

I imagine it will have a Teddy dollar and a Mount Rushmore quarter. A first lady bronze medal would also work.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    Each set will include one coin and two medals, with one of the medals representing a special first time offering.This could get interesting

The first medal included in the set will be a 1.5-inch bronze Bald Eagle Medal from the National Wildlife Refuge System (NWRS) Centennial Medal Series.

(l8-)>>

Hmmm

Wow

I figured a tie in with the mint via st gaudens. WRONG.
    Do we do a Wilson set, too? Will FDR be the next one? Who chooses and why?

Finally, I've actually bought a few ""new release"" bronze medals from the mint.
    Quality!! This will be the big complaint. The average quality I've found is 65ish. Sixty five. People are going to ask if they were bagged, dropped, chewed, stepped upon and run over.

There are quality medals to be had. Keep trying is my only suggestion, although they may not like repetitive re-re-re-re-returns.
    This will get interesting. I would have declared this set a dud had they not put a 1 oz .999 silver medal in there.

I'm unsure where to rank the potential on this one. Somewhere between 33 degrees F and slightly lukewarm. Probably closer to refridgerator temps.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! As a collector of the miniature presidential medals I'm very excited about this silver medal and have often thought that this set would be gorgeous in silver! We can start one president at a time, I guess.

But because of the stated weight of the medal, I'm guessing it will not be the standard 1 5/16 inches but more close to the 1 1/2 inch diameter.
    The write up says 1.5 bronze where current "standard" bronzes are 1 5/16 as you noted.

I guess an ASE blank will be used for the silver medal.

I hope they have capsules and special handling for all three. I'd like to see everyone score at least a 69 except for the rare sub69s that get through.

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The post stated that the bald eagle medal was 1 1/2 inches, and said nothing about the diameter of the bronze presidential medals, which are as you say, 1 5/16 inches.

And I'm sure they'll use the same blanks as the ASE's (unless they produce a thicker medal with the same 1 5/16 inch diameter). Hopefully they don't have milkspots!!
    Don't worry, there will be milk spots. image

• Put me down for one.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>12/17/2013 2013 Coin and Chronicles Set – Theodore Roosevelt TBD ? >>

Above the TR set is listed the 2013 Silver Proof Set, Limited Edition?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file