Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Late Night Rips: 1973 Topps baseball 1st series cello pack! **Grades In--Update Last Post**

I picked up this 73 1st series cello pack a while back for a good price because the cello had split on the front of the pack. I planned on opening it soon after I acquired it, but was waiting for the right time--so in honor of turning back the clocks tonight 1 hour, I am going to rip it in search of a minty Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, Pete Rose, Brooks Robinson or even a Rollie Fingers or All-Time Home Run Leaders card! Unlike smaller sized 18-card cello packs from the second half of the 1970s, the 1973 cello contained 27 cards, so the corners are usually pretty nice on these cards, or at least not as dinged as you'd expect to find in a cello pack from later in that decade. Centering on the top and bottom cards is pretty nice, too!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the pack:

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there Tim.

I'm watching Good Will Hunting.

I'm in! Good luck.
    Mike
  • Options
    looks good what time zone ?
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!! Some entertainment while watching and waiting for the Small Traditions auction to close.

Justin
  • Options
    Thanks, guys! I am going to open the pack right now. Will post scans shortly!

• Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Tim. Hope you hit big!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    I guess after some of the luckier pulls I've had on the late night rips recently, I was bound for a letdown, and this pack was it--really nice cards throughout with backs that were ricker in color than any 73s I've seen with no chipping on the black whatsoever. However, the centering gods were not with me on this pack and no HOF hits unless you count the league leader cards. Still was a lot of fun, and it was a pack that was destined for ripping and if nothing else, serves as a reminder as to why I keep most of my packs sealed, LOL..

• Options
    Thanx Tim.

<< <i>and if nothing else, serves as a reminder as to why I keep most of my packs sealed >>

I hear ya!

I guess that's why I have some wax and racks that are still in their box along with a bit of vending.

I remember when I thought that one day I would open an entire vending case to make one killer set. But, as we know that could be a total disaster.
    Mike
  • Options

• Options
    Those look pretty darn good Tim.

Would be nice to sub and come up with a 10.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Those look pretty darn good Tim.

Would be nice to sub and come up with a 10. >>

Thanks, Mike!

Does anyone know the issue with the gap or no gap on the left border of the Bahnsen card? Apparently, it's a recognized variation of some kind?

• Options

<< <i>

Thanks, Mike!

Does anyone know the issue with the gap or no gap on the left border of the Bahnsen card? Apparently, it's a recognized variation of some kind? >>

I believe the one with the "gap" is the rarer of the two cards Tim. But, how much rarer or value - I'm clueless.

I would guess big Al/Bishop would know - that guy is deep into Topps variations.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks, Mike!

Does anyone know the issue with the gap or no gap on the left border of the Bahnsen card? Apparently, it's a recognized variation of some kind? >>

I believe the one with the "gap" is the rarer of the two cards Tim. But, how much rarer or value - I'm clueless.

I would guess big Al/Bishop would know - that guy is deep into Topps variations. >>

Thanks, Mike, I will reach out to Al. The Bahnsen card is probably the best of the bunch, too, so maybe all is not lost on this pack..

• Options
    Yep....that Bahnsen variation is your money card. Very cool!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Tim, the Bahnsen and Hennigan cards are money!
  • Options

<< <i>Tim, the Bahnsen and Hennigan cards are money! >>

Thanks, guys! The Hennigan is centered a bit low, but the Bahnsen should grade a 9. I am sending in about 75 pack fresh cards this month, mainly from previous late night group rips, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

• Options
    Nothing remarkable here from this pack, but the one nice bright spot was the half point bump on the Bahnsen #20, which is the scarcer "small gap in left border" variation. I see that market value on an 8 is about $85 and about $200 for a PSA 9; does anyone here with VCP know what an 8.5 would go for?

41 1 22381069 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1973 TOPPS 121 DAVE RADER Card
    42 1 22381070 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1973 TOPPS 20 STAN BAHNSEN SMALL GAP IN LEFT BORDER Card
    43 1 22381071 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1973 TOPPS 96 DOUG GRIFFIN Card
    44 1 22381072 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1973 TOPPS 40 REGGIE SMITH Card

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice gapper image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately VCP doesn't differentiate the variations. It doesn't look like an 8.5 gapper has sold since max VCP is under $10. It looks like the 8a have historically sold for around $85. Nice pull.