Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1897-S Barber Half Opinion on Grade etc...PLease

Comments

• Options
    thank you I have book marked it still would like some opinions on it though.
  • Options
    f12 to f15 ? am I right?
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>f12 to f15 ? am I right? >>

Yes - you got it.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say F-12, but the surfaces are less than ideal, so I might value it at a sllight discount.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say F-12

The crap on the reverse is not appealing to me however.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    thank you all for the help and info.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS vg-10
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    VG11, maybe F12 but no F15.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VG10
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭
    Although the pic is a bit blurry this is the nicest coin you've posted so far, but the crud on the reverse holds it back a bit. Not horrible, but it's there.

Looks like a VG+++. May squeeze out a F on a good day.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Collecting VG-8 & 10 Barber Halves, I don't see any dealer having this marked as VG-10.....

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Wes on all counts - VG++, shot at F12, maybe gentle application of acetone on the rev will help, but frankly I
    don't find it unattractive just as it is, and yes it's the best coin you've posted so far.....and a tough date to find at this grade level
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    again thanks for the info and opinions much appreciated
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    VG10, with a shot at F12. Absolutely no higher than that. image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first reaction was VG-10 as well. I think I see a gouge in the star near the eagle's head, if that's deep, it may not grade. Although on a 97-s, they may let that slide anyway.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ANA standards regarding LIBERTY are:
    F-12: "All letters in LIBERTY are weak but visible."
    VG-8 "Three lettters in LIBERTY are clear."

Beyond this:
    1. "visible" is not defined. The Randall P Holder site that I linked defines visible as any part of the letter showing,
    since he discusses tops of the letters for F-12.

Many persons posting here require all parts of the letter showing to define visible.

Both definitions are reasonable interpretations of "visible". They do unfortunately yield different grade labels.
    I don't know which definition is more popular among Barber collectors.
    I recall in the past, Jack Beymer discussed this, and he used complete letters (all parts), but others used partial letters.

2. The extensions for VG-10, F-15, etc. are not from the ANA, but are useful.
    Here is the grading section from David Lawrence's book. He has extensions like VG-10, but he does not directly discuss the definition of "visible" or "show".
    http://blog.davidlawrence.com/index.php/barber-halves-chapter-2-grading/
    However, he may discuss it indirectly in his description for F-16:

<< <i>F 16 (FINE/VERY FINE)
    OBVERSE: LIBERTY is almost complete with only a slight weakness in the lower part of the BER. >>

This suggests to me that for "almost complete", he does not require all parts of the BER letters to show for F. But it's not completely clear.
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    I say acetone bath to get rid of some of the crud. IMO I think its a lock 12!
  • Options
    I am hesitant to treat the coin in any way as I have not had very good luck with treating coins. Hence the Braided large cent.... But that coin is now a test coin as I dont't feel comfortable selling it now even though the guy likes how it looks in hand.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This used to be a lock VG10 grade. As a key date it might be pushed to a F12. It technically does grade F12, but it is as weak a F12 as could ever exist.

Tyler

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I am in the F12 camp. I think it's much nicer than a VG 10
    and no where as nice as an F15.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Thank you Mike and Tyler it is appreciated as I have never dealt with these and I know grading on the keys can be a bit more lenient.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is this your coin or are you thinking about buying it????

97-S
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW what detective work. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    it is mine but I had the auction canceled so it will not be miss represented because of the info from this post. I based it originally on this: VF-20 LIBERTY will be complete but bottom of BER will be thin.
  • Options
    Here is a pic of the liberty hope you can see my newb confusion. Like I stated never dealt with these before.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recall in the past, Jack Beymer discussed this, and he used complete letters (all parts), but others used partial letters. >>

The thing is: there is more to grading Barbers than just the LIBERTY and headband.

And Jack Beymer is slightly an outlier from the rest of the Barber guys.

Last summer's ANA show I took a PCGS VG10 CAC 1896-S 25c over to Jack's table. He tried to convince me that the coins true grade was G7! Whether his opinion was truthful, or he was just trying to rip the coin, I could not say.

But the coin was snapped up by the dealer across the aisle from Beymer for VG10 money.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And Jack Beymer is slightly an outlier from the rest of the Barber guys.
    Last summer's ANA show I took a PCGS VG10 CAC 1896-S 25c over to Jack's table. He tried to convince me that the coins true grade was G7! Whether his opinion was truthful, or he was just trying to rip the coin, I could not say. >>

Not a big fan of Jack for several reasons, but I do not believe he was trying to rip the coin by being deceitful.
    He has always used some combination very old school and tough EAC type grading standards across all series, and frequently is at odds
    with the TPGs, as well as other dealers. However, his pricing is right in line with today's standards. So if you are buying a sharp full horn buff
    from him as a 'real' VF, you are likely paying XF money for it. That's all well and good, as long as it cuts both ways. Now if he is undergrading a key date like yours, and then pulls out the Greysheet to price it, that's a problem! Guys like that you don't discuss grade, just price.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>VG10, with a shot at F12. Absolutely no higher than that. image >>

• Options
    I'm in the high end VG low end F group...
  • Options
    There is clearly a debate over whether this is VG 10 or F 12. My own grading standard is: Whenever in doubt it goes to the lower grade.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Darrell... You amaze me... Always got your radar turned on...

You also have a photographic memory... Once you've seen a
    coin, you remember exactly where it was, it's grade, the TPG
    and the asking price. No wonder you're so good at what you do.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>I am in the F12 camp. I think it's much nicer than a VG 10
    and no where as nice as an F15. >>

Funny how you can grade a coin one way - come back to it a few weeks later -
    and have a different opinion of it. I retract my original guess of F12 - its a VG 10
    ...albeit a very nice VG 10 !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    VG10.
    All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file