Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay at it again! Now we can't see purchase history on the feedback page!

Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, another eBay thread, and happy to post it! I thought I was going crazy, but they changed this right before our eyes!

<< <i>By Ina Steiner
EcommerceBytes.com
October 17, 2013

eBay is making its feedback system less transparent by removing purchase details from the feedback page in a move that has already shocked some users who noticed the change start to roll out to the site right before their eyes on Wednesday.

Because eBay did not announce the change, many wondered if it was a glitch or a test. But eBay spokesperson Ryan Moore confirmed it was a deliberate policy change.

"Based on customer feedback from both buyers and sellers, we have made the decision to remove the view item link and item ID information on Buyer and Seller Feedback profiles pages," Moore told EcommerceBytes. The move is one of the most controversial changes to feedback since eBay introduced anonymous Detailed Seller Ratings and stopped allowing sellers to give buyers neutral or negative feedback ratings.

Buyers are particularly concerned about the lack of transparency on feedback pages of sellers from whom they are considering purchasing. They will no longer be able to see the types of items sellers have sold in the past, and some say they will be hampered in attempting to gauge the honesty of sellers receiving complaints from past buyers.

"I imagine that such a move would make it difficult for diligent buyers to get a better picture of what the seller is really like," wrote an EcommerceBytes reader. "Did the seller accumulate their feedback by selling individual paper-clips? (And then, once a ''respectable'' amount of feedback has been earned, the seller turns out to be some sort of scammer.)"

Or, she asked, "Did the seller earn a negative because the mystery-item is something that typically attracts persnickety buyers? (Wouldn't it be nice to know if the item description really WAS incorrect? Wouldn't it be nice to know if the seller's photos DID show the flaw after all?)"

Some sellers were concerned that they would not be able to see buyers' history. "Well, you can't see any evidence of a SNAD scam if you can't see the item or the description that contradict the buyers statements," wrote one seller. Another seller was happy that shoppers would not be able to see what he had sold items for in the past, explaining he routinely adjusted prices and haggled with buyers.

Moore explained that buyers and sellers would continue to see the link and item number for transactions they are involved in as long as they are logged in >>

Comments

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Just another idiotic move by eBay to kill itself. You'd have to try hard to mismanage your company to the extent they seem to.
  • Options
    annoying but in many non online auctions you do not have a history of all the sellers or buyers so is it really any different? Just seems they are making ebay more like a live auction format.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just another idiotic move by eBay to kill itself. You'd have to try hard to mismanage your company to the extent they seem to. >>

I'm inclined to agree with you most whole heartedly!

It appears that not even "I" can see what I bought!

Massive........massive Brain Fart!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Just another idiotic move by eBay to kill itself. You'd have to try hard to mismanage your company to the extent they seem to. >>

I'm inclined to agree with you most whole heartedly!

It appears that not even "I" can see what I bought!

Massive........massive Brain Fart! >>

They make it seem like if you log in you can see what you bought and sold. I can only see what I sold. Morons.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>
    They make it seem like if you log in you can see what you bought and sold. I can only see what I sold. Morons. >>

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only advantage to this is for the buyers that turn right around and relist what they bought for a higher price. I see this all the time from a couple of sellers. You would think they had the sense to at least let the coin sit a bit instead of sticking in front of people who know for double the money!
  • Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

As of 3 days ago, I can not delete closed auctions in my watchlist.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally agree.

It's just stunning how ebay has changed for the worse over the psst few years. The fees go up while the venue worsens with nearly every change.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing this change, looks the same to me, can still see items in the feedback listing.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not seeing this change, looks the same to me, can still see items in the feedback listing. >>

Look a little harder there Rich.

If you buy and sell from the same account, items you've sold have not changed however items you've purchased have nothing other than the text of the feedback, the seller you bought from and the price you paid. There is no "clickable" link to the actual listing.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    another thing thats getting old is fleebay changing there set up on the page's all the time. it never ceases with them. image
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like you cannot search "by bidder" anymore either.
  • Options

<< <i>Seems like you cannot search "by bidder" anymore either. >>

You can, choose "by seller" first, and it is now under there. Stupid place to put it!
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Seems like you cannot search "by bidder" anymore either. >>

You can, choose "by seller" first, and it is now under there. Stupid place to put it! >>

ok.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file