Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 Lincoln Formative years Box (a gift from a friend)

I just got thin in the mail as a complete surprise from a good friend. He said have fun searching it hahahahahahah lol. Well I guess I know what I am doing for the next couple of days. If I find anything I will update the post with them. Is there any way to know anything about the box from the number on the bottom?

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never looked up those numbers. could be anything. I'd think they'd use a date if it were a date. no need to code that.

you basically need to check every square micrometer of each of those coins for doubled dies.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Yep going to start tonight, lots of fun lol wish me luck.
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

<< <i>you basically need to check every square micrometer of each of those coins for doubled dies. >>

Oh here we go, let me get the shovel.

All you need is a 5x magnifier. I challenge anyone to look at the fine detail of any penny without one.

Look on the reverse, at the hand that holds the book. That's where ALL the reverse doubled dies are located.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>you basically need to check every square micrometer of each of those coins for doubled dies. >>

Oh here we go, let me get the shovel.

All you need is a 5x magnifier. I challenge anyone to look at the fine detail of any penny without one.

Look on the reverse, at the hand that holds the book. That's where ALL the reverse doubled dies are located. >>

Anything else is not worth picking out and saving so save yours eyes and your time right up front.
  • already found 2 on end coins thanks for the help with what to look for. I have Wexlers page up to look at pics for comparison.
    ok, there was more than ample shovel in that, but I'd still go over them carefully.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Ample shovel hey lol buy seriously my eyes are killing me.
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully you have a decent camera that can take closeups of whatever errors you might find. You may also want to scan for combinations of the errors with major ( late die state)

die crack varieties. Have you identified anything yet from Wexler's website? You do want to read the long ongoing thread "2009 lincoln formative / Lp2 mint boxes / proof sets /

doubled die errors" that will provide you with more on the subject. Have fun! A doubled thumbs up to ya! imageimage
  • Thanks Onedollar, anyone want to come over and help lol. Here are some pics...
  • PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    WDDR-060
  • Thank you Papi that is what I thought also, but now I have to raid my kids trick or treat candy ha candy for dad!
  • There is the technical aspect of being a doubled die and there is the wow aspect. Every single one of the 2009 cents lack any semblance of a "wow factor". When the most dynamic of the bunch looks like a small cud/break in one spot coupled with dozens and dozens of variences none of which are super rare. I can't for the life of me see why people think these are going to be money makers one day.

If someone thinks they are cool more power to them to collect but the naritive always seams to get back to investment potential around these parts. What do I know image
  • a current date (2009) penny that is selling for $5.00 or more is not that bad if you sell 100 of them lol oohhhh milk duds i havent had those for years....
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't listen to Creepto (sp?)... he is the chief (self-appointed) naysayer on this subject in spite of the fact that the new 5th edition Professional Red Book has now featured (with some

pictures for illustration) these with commentary from the publisher which raises the level of interest for all variety hobbyists. Enjoy the search and again if you have more interest in

learning about these varieties come over to our thread. Become a doubled-die hard! There are a lot of pics, opinions (pro and con), insights into which lp2 boxes yield the best errors, etc.

Your friend obviously knows something about the formative cent errors and knows you have an interest...hence the gift. Good luck in your search! imageimage

p.s. you are correct about bulk sales adding up...some have made thousands of dollars selling these at $5-$20 each as raw samples.

• << <i>a current date (2009) penny that is selling for $5.00 or more is not that bad if you sell 100 of them lol oohhhh milk duds i havent had those for years.... >>

I do not think one could sell 100 of these is a compact amount of time for $5 each. The few that did sell would most likely be to the same 5-6 eBay IDs.

• ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Buy that man a beer, great gift!
    figglehorn
  • I just posted a question about one HELP>>>>>> it is not matching up.arghhh and I have bought him to many lol
    60 with a damaged index finger?
  • I think I agree with you lol thats 5 DDRs from one roll sofar. What is with all the water spot looking spots on the coins? Can they be safely removed without damaging the mint surface as these are UNC cents. it looks like Lincoln slamed his finger with the sledge hammer lol... imageimage
    the spots started appearing years ago and worsened over the years.

the challenge now is to find a coin with few hits and few spots.

these are reverse dd's

• the spots make me mad but I am doing good 6 DDRs now
    Most of these coins have bag marks and water spots. Don't worry about them.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have fun gettinglost in that box! These Formatives have been a lot of fun for many who actually have an interest in numismatic varieties.

Onedollar is correct, join the club.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • i'm hooked now i have to decide what to keep I will need one example of each variety and I have the circulated barber set my son and I are working on. Time to sell some stuff....imageimage
    PM me your name and address and I will send you some of the varieties to get you started.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file