Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You Never Know What May Turn Up at a Small Show - 1909-O Quarter

Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
I realize it is not in the best condition, and would likely garner a Genuine if submitted to the host.
I do wish the obverse looked more like the reverse. Looks like it was not stored properly, then someone 'worked' on it, perhaps.

Still, it is a scarce coin in this condition.....searching shows large and small for years has only yielded a couple of VG and VG+ coins
(not counting those in even lower grades). So I was quite surprised to see this in one of the dealer cases a couple weeks ago, thinking
it was probably a sloppy 'D' written on the 2x2 holder, as the 09D is very plentiful. But it was indeed a 1909-O quarter. with a full LIBERTY. Imagine then my surprise when the price quoted was back of Bid for the coin - a date which generally sells for WELL over Bid....and this
was back of VG Bid to boot image

So what da ya think, good enough for an album coin?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Comments

• Options
    Easily a 700 dollar coin. What did you pay for it? 10 bucks?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have bought that for under VG bid too!!!!!

• Options
    that's vf 25 right there. It might grade.
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pickup! image

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin. I love small shows just for this reason.
  • Options
    I don't see why it wouldn't grade
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Detail!
  • Options
    Great find. Don't believe it will grade but will be a great album edition. Not sure about 700 but worth multiples of vg bid.
  • Options
    good find great coin I would not holder it but that is me. Looks like it was cleaned at some time just like every coin that is not straight off the press lol That would be a great coin for my sons and my circulated Barber set.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that's vf 25 right there. It might grade. >>

If you think that coin will grade...let me find coins for you! image
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see why it wouldn't grade >>

Ditto to my last post! image
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find. I approve. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Definately a great buy! I sold a P O Sht F+ scrubbed to death last year for around F Bid...give or take.

Edit to add I sold it to another dealer!
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    So it wouldn't grade because....cleaned?
  • Options

<< <i>So it wouldn't grade because....cleaned? >>

Cleaned as well as corroded on the Obv.
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second obverse pic. does make it look like there's a bit of environmental damage on the coin, but the detail certainly is better than VG.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At one point that coin was probably nearly all black. It was then burnished/cleaned to show the highlights and remove as much of the black as possible.

VG seems to be a proper details grade for the piece. It is a problem coin and the problem isn't going to go away.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to admit that I found and bought some 1908-O and 1909-O quarters out of a pawn shop junk box for melt earlier this year. The pawn shop owner probably only paid 8X melt and turned around and sold them at 16X melt. Sure they are only G-VG or so but a neat buy out of a junk box.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At one point that coin was probably nearly all black. It was then burnished/cleaned to show the highlights and remove as much of the black as possible.
    VG seems to be a proper details grade for the piece. It is a problem coin and the problem isn't going to go away. >>

The first statement seems to be a logical explanation for the appearance....like I said in the original post, it appears someone worked on it to
    clean it up a bit.
    And yes, the problem isn't going away. But here's the quandry. Nice ones go for moon money, like this VF25 at Heritage that brought nearly $1300.
    http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1189&lotNo=7938

So, I realize a lot of the purists wouldn't touch this coin with a 10 ft pole, but for $80, I wasn't going to pass this dog of a coin up.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Super find Mr. M!

Wow, that's a tuffy in that grade, big time. Congrats on finding it for such a deal.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now you cant be cherrypicking out there that's my job. image You did good send it in you never know and will not lose any value if it go's in a Gen holder you did very well. image

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file